• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

Decided to go simple this morning with a sort of Mexican bruschetta. A slice of fresh Italian bread that had been generously drizzled with a good Sicilian olive oil and then topped with some freshly made fiery hot Mexican salsa. So good, I had a second.

HC

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

• Like 5

I'm dieting again....just a couple more pounds to go.  So, my breakfast is 1/4 fresh pineapple pieces topped with 1 oz of ham.  (No need for a picture.)  Maybe a poppadum which I find keeps me feeling more satisfied seeing it is made with lentil flour.  Argh!>:(

• Like 3

image.jpeg

I finally made a loaf of Ken Forkish Saturday Bread and kept it for myself!   This morning I toasted a slice and topped it with my favourite blue cheese.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Corn beef hash, grilled cheese, freshly squeezed apple and grapefruit juice, coffee au lait

image.jpg

I believe cardboard would be good with that view.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Although I don't keep kosher for passover and keeps eating whatever I want, I do wait every year for the holiday's food, including matzo (which I find to be delicious :) ).

A favorite of mine is simply piece of matzo with cottage cheese and pungent chazeret (grated horseradish and sweet beetroot). It sounds a little weird, but it's delicious.

20160423_204242.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

Asparagus, bacon, egg and toast.  All of which needed using up.image.jpegx

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/24/2016 at 6:53 AM, shain said:

Although I don't keep kosher for passover and keeps eating whatever I want, I do wait every year for the holiday's food, including matzo (which I find to be delicious :) ).

A favorite of mine is simply piece of matzo with cottage cheese and pungent chazeret (grated horseradish and sweet beetroot). It sounds a little weird, but it's delicious.

20160423_204242.jpg

I'm with you on that approach to the holiday, I put leftover charoset (chopped apple/walnut/dried apricot relish) on my morning oats

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@shane 

looks tasty Shane

i just used a horseradish cream and beet purée with my baked gefilte fish at our last Seder. Flavors work nicely together.  I don't mind matzoh either.  But by day 8 the family is done

our harosset is a date based.  Sweet stuff. 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

@BeeZee Oats with charroset sounds very tasty and makes much since, given that all ingredients are common additions by themselves.

@scubadoo97 Iv'e never seen a baked gefilte fish, only boiled. 

Today I made matzebrei and charoset to accompaniment it.

My charroset is made with cooked tart apple and dates in almost equal proportions, some raisins and toasted walnuts, a little sweet red wine. Spiced with cinnamon, a touch of black pepper, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice. I blend it until quite smooth then add some more thinly chopped walnuts for texture.

20160426_125650.jpg20160426_123921.jpg

Defiantly not the most aesthetic of preparations, but such is Ashkenazi food at it's best.

20160426_161020.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

Fried egg sandwiches.   One of the very few reasons I keep ketchup in the house.  These sandwiches can only be made with fresh bread in my opinion and this was the bread that I posted about in The Bread Topic. Despite all the challenges  the bread turned out just fine.  

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

If there is a better way to start the day it hasn't made it into my repertoire yet.  I was given some farm fresh eggs yesterday and I swear my sleep was disturbed by my wish for morning to arrive quickly.  Gently poached eggs, toasted home-made sour cream sandwich loaf and a black coffee. Damn. Life is good. 

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

If there is a better way to start the day it hasn't made it into my repertoire yet.  I was given some farm fresh eggs yesterday and I swear my sleep was disturbed by my wish for morning to arrive quickly.  Gently poached eggs, toasted home-made sour cream sandwich loaf and a black coffee. Damn. Life is good. 

Definitely my kind of breakfast! Makes me wish I had some fresh eggs right now so I could have that.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

image.jpeg

Breakfast tostada with fried egg, salsa and grated cheese. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog