• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

End of the line breakfast.

No, I'm not next up on death row, but this is the last of the St Patty's corned beef, last two slices of homemade bread (when the crumb goes crumbly, it's toast or croutons or the trash bin) and the last two eggs in the house. Now that the days are longer, Deb's BIL's chickens are really pounding out the eggs, so that will soon be remedied.

HC

IMG_0470.thumb.JPG.8d3ceb6c67eb9469eac16

• Like 6

After the most beautiful swim at one of Sydney's many ocean rockpools this morning, I knew I'd want something warm to come home to, so got up early and made hot cross buns, to have with strong, strong Vietnamese condensed milk coffee.

Chocolate hot cross buns though, because try as I might, I cannot bring myself to countenance dried fruit in baked goods..raisins, sultanas, currants..the horror, the horror.. 

hcb.thumb.jpg.549ea47d426316ef3284a1757e

• Like 13

Breakfast here is usually tremendously boring - I'm a tea-juice-toast sort of person in the morning. But one Easter ritual is for my husband to make a frittata:

IMG_20160327_091714.jpg

And to go with it, I made hot cross buns -it's the first time I've made them. I like them a lot and the store version i can get locally is pretty bad. These were good.

DSC00840.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@liuzhouI don't think I will ever tire of it. Duck egg on homemade bread. Yes!

Congratulations on your foray into homemade yeast bread. I used to make all the bread served in my home, but when, after some years hiatus, I went back to my old reliable recipe for yeast milk bread, I was disappointed with the results and let it discourage me. That recipe never failed before. Not even from the first time when I was in my teens and comparatively ignorant in the kitchen. I just hate failure. :(

Good for you for getting back on the horse. You are inspiring me to get back up there too. :smile:

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpeg

OK this may be unique to my British Midlands family. Leftover Yorkshire putting was always served with homemade raspberry vinegar as dessert.  With leftover Yorkshire pudding  brought to me as a gift and my own homemade raspberry vinegar in the refrigerator I had breakfast.  The Yorkshire puddings crisped up well in the Breville.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

OK this may be unique to my British Midlands family. Leftover Yorkshire putting was always served with homemade raspberry vinegar as dessert.  With leftover Yorkshire pudding  brought to me as a gift and my own homemade raspberry vinegar in the refrigerator I had breakfast.  The Yorkshire puddings crisped up well in the Breville.  

Leftover Yorkshire pudding? Never heard of it!

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Leftover Yorkshire pudding? Never heard of it!

Well you know how it is with us Sassenachs. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

One of my favorite sandwiches, and such a simple one. Soft and slightly sweet 50% whole meal bun - slightly toasted and warm, roughly mashed avocado (the last  of the season), soft creamy sirene cheese, chopped onion, black pepper.

20151103_203802.jpg

• Like 4

~ Shai N.

My weekend breakfast (and mid-day snack) of choice this time of year:

20160331_113058.jpg

Our mulberry tree is exploding with huge fruits, and whenever I can afford time for a lazy breakfast I go to hang around the tree and eat fruits until my hands are purple-stained and I can no longer withstand looking at them ^_^

When perfectly ripe, the berries fall right into your hand, and the flavor is like eating jam from a tree, no toast required.

20160331_111434.jpg20160331_112245.jpg20160331_111723.jpg

• Like 10

~ Shai N.

@scubadoo97 Yes, this is not a very common variety, I believe that it's called Himalayan mulberry. 
Iv'e heard the leaves can be used for cooking, but have never used them for it, since it's also the season for grape vine leaves, and so I opt for those instead. Can you describe their flavor? Grape leaves taste likes a lemony green tea IMO. Speaking of leaves, Iv'e recently bean given rice stuffed nasturtium leaves, they are less flavorful but very tender, might be worth a try.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

11 hours ago, shain said:

@scubadoo97 Yes, this is not a very common variety, I believe that it's called Himalayan mulberry. 
Iv'e heard the leaves can be used for cooking, but have never used them for it, since it's also the season for grape vine leaves, and so I opt for those instead. Can you describe their flavor? Grape leaves taste likes a lemony green tea IMO. Speaking of leaves, Iv'e recently bean given rice stuffed nasturtium leaves, they are less flavorful but very tender, might be worth a try.

I would have to taste them side by side.  The grape leaves I get are brined but I know what you mean by tea like and think the mulberry was similar.   My grandmother had a mulberry tree in her yard and said they were common in Syria were she was born.  We use to blanch the young leaves and freeze them for later use.  The shape is better for rolling compared to grape.  We would roll them sideways instead of steam to tip and called them cigars.  But hey it was a Tampa thing 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

Frittata sandwich. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T

I envy Moe that he can eat breakfast like this and not weigh 400+ kg.  I just look at the photographs and put on 4 kg.  Damn, damn, damn.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog