• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris   

Im a big fan of Penzeys

do you have an old blade grinder ? 

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/krups-reg-black-coffee-grinder/1010151120?Keyword=blade+grinder

it looks like you are set for cumin for a while

next time get a blade grinder for spices, and get whole cumin.  lightly toast and then grind .  Night and Day for flavor

I do have a blade grinder. The last time I was in NYC I went to Kalutyan's spice shop and bought whole cumin seed, but that was over a year ago. When I realized I was running quite low on ground cumin, I toasted some of that up and ground it. It was pretty good, but I think the age played a role in the result. Ground cumin is a big component in the rubs I use for smoking pork and I go through lots of it for both that and fresh salsa, which I almost always have in the fridge. I plan to use up the rest of the old cumin seed for pork rub. I also make big batches of salsa which Deb brings in to work to use as graft among her coworkers.

HC

• Like 1

On March 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Ann_T said:

Liamsaunt, would you please consider sharing your recipe for the sausage?

Sorry, I just saw this now.  The recipe is not my own.  It is Andrea Nguyen's garlicky silky sausage from the Banh Mi Handbook.  The recipe is available on google books.  I can't link it here for some reason.  The only change I made is that I could not find the tapioca starch called for, so I had to use the cornstarch she recommends as a substitute.

On 16/03/2016 at 9:42 AM, rotuts said:

Moe seems to have pretty much 'Got it Made'

56e98cffa8725_surprised.gif.1d5d5942b57d

Rotuts, I haven't heard him complain.

10 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Sorry, I just saw this now.  The recipe is not my own.  It is Andrea Nguyen's garlicky silky sausage from the Banh Mi Handbook.  The recipe is available on google books.  I can't link it here for some reason.  The only change I made is that I could not find the tapioca starch called for, so I had to use the cornstarch she recommends as a substitute.

Thanks Liamsaunt.  I found it. 

Corned%20Beef%20sandwich%20March%2018th%

Made Moe a corned beef sandwich on home-made rye for breakfast.

• Like 9

I always look forward to the first weekend breakfast following St. Patrick's Day: Corned beef hash! Today, with poached farm eggs and homemade biscuits with homemade pear preserves.

I may not eat for a week.

56ed8232dbc30_cbhash.jpg.e9303e20a54b1fb

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Portuguese-y pork belly and prawn sausage buns, on an English muffin.

First you marinate some narrow strips of pork belly overnight in fish sauce, garlic and pepper. Then you make a sausage paste from raw prawns, lean pork, white pepper, egg white, salt and cornstarch, and make a little salad of acidulated red onion and fennel fronds.

Then you pan fry the pork belly until caramelised, and toast English muffins in the leftover pork fat in the pan, before spreading a thick layer of the prawn and pork sausage across one muffin and pan frying it face down to toast it.

Then put the pork belly strips on top, some of the fennel and onion, and a spoonful of spicy aioli, before the toasted muffin-top. (Top of the muffin to you!)

I bastardised it slightly by using Vietnamese marinated sausage mince I already had in the freezer for the sausage part, and Portuguese chicken chilli sauce I had in the fridge instead of making my own aioli.

Another winner of an idea from this site: http://ladyandpups.com/2016/01/08/lisbon-plus-surfn-turf-pork-belly-and-shrimp-sausage-sandwich/

porkbun1.jpg.d62b2423eb0e4d4e99a89ec03c6

porkbun2.jpg.158707ec7403ab5a001ee4020b9

• Like 15

Green pancakes  left over from yesterday.  Even reheated these were surprisingly good.  The edges became delightfully crispy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.55d68ab533c7b61bc7043b6

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Ann_T 

Does Moe weigh 300 lbs ?   if so   Id say Im sorry for him, but noting how he got there, not so much 

smiley-smile.gif.bcb3643bbaefcffa7ea5127

Rotuts, no, he is in pretty good shape.  Works out and runs.  

Soft%20boiled%20eggs%20march%2021st%2C%2

Moe requested soft boiled with toast fingers.   I call it baby food.

• Like 7

@Anna N, I'm glad to hear the green pancakes reheat well.  I will have to give them a try.

This was second breakfast today:

IMG_2669.thumb.jpg.226ff9f76f166ad919067

Last week, I tasted a "Figs on Fire" pizza at a local spot.  It used Jenkins Jellies Fiery Figs pepper jelly, goat cheese and roasted almonds on a thin, crispy-chewy crust, topped with arugula and olive oil.  Lacking most of those ingredients and the wood-fired pizza oven, I substituted toasted ciabatta, homemade ricotta, a 1:1 mix of TJ's fig butter and sweet & spicy chili jam and a sprinkle of toasted, slivered almonds.   Not as good as the pizza, perhaps, but not bad at all.

• Like 7

@blue_dolphin

I do appreciate how you take an idea and run with it. I am trying to increase the times I am prepared to do this!  It requires a certain mind set that is willing to see flavours rather than specific ingredients. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎15 at 8:58 PM, scubadoo97 said:

Damn! 

That's exactly the same response I had. Those are some serious biscuits. Sometimes you see a biscuit and things like gravy, sausage, jam, etc. don't even cross your mind. Not because it wouldn't be good with those things, it just doesn't need it.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.