• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

I hear you on the freezer sorting. I think I'm just down to some field mushroom ragout from last year and a 1.5 kilo brisket that I need to sacrifice to the virgin flight of my Kamado Joe Jr at some point when we have more time!

• Like 1

Scrapple is an affectation of The Gods, or Seasoned Weighty Souls in the Philadelphia Area.

or me.

there are brands that travel nationally, are generally FZ or refrigerated.

some might think its Acquired Taste, personally, those who think so might Acquire some Taste.  My father was a New Englander, so we had it for sunday breakfast from time

to time.  I of course have no need to Acquire Taste, I have Boat Loads.

in the PA / Philla  area, there are at least 5 - 6 brands, some fresh in the butcher counter.   I know as I lived there for many months working

and enjoyed it every night.  Still alive, I am

the best way to try it is to cut a slice at least 1/4 to maybe even  < 1/2 inch.

'Fry' until each side is crispy.  at room temp  it like a very firm 'mush'  that's the corn meal in it.

Id start with 1/4 inch or a little more.  no near to measure.

you want two crispy sides, but some soft middle.

generally  fresh ground pepper is nice dans le plate, also some maple syrup  the real stuff if you can afford it.

Id be cautious if you have never had it.  it has to be more or less as above.  you might find out you have more taste than you ever thought.

if you can't stand it, you can take an Expensive Course  :  Discover the Taste Buds you thought you never had.

Not Available for our Friends in Canada

as least with the info I have.

OutStandingStuff.    If you have it for Dinner, I strongly recommend Home Mashed Potatoes.

Bon Apetite

• Like 3

Egg sandwich with homemade garlic-black pepper chicken sausage.  I actually made the sausage yesterday for banh mis that I am making for dinner tonight, but wanted to give it a test drive.  Very good.  In fact, I think I will make my own chicken sausage from now on instead of buying it.

56df08cd3f9d7_eggsandwich.thumb.jpg.0b35

• Like 8

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Scrapple is an affectation of The Gods, or Seasoned Weighty Souls in the Philadelphia Area.

or me.

there are brands that travel nationally, are generally FZ or refrigerated.

some might think its Acquired Taste, personally, those who think so might Acquire some Taste.  My father was a New Englander, so we had it for sunday breakfast from time

to time.  I of course have no need to Acquire Taste, I have Boat Loads.

in the PA / Philla  area, there are at least 5 - 6 brands, some fresh in the butcher counter.   I know as I lived there for many months working

and enjoyed it every night.  Still alive, I am

the best way to try it is to cut a slice at least 1/4 to maybe even  < 1/2 inch.

'Fry' until each side is crispy.  at room temp  it like a very firm 'mush'  that's the corn meal in it.

Id start with 1/4 inch or a little more.  no near to measure.

you want two crispy sides, but some soft middle.

generally  fresh ground pepper is nice dans le plate, also some maple syrup  the real stuff if you can afford it.

Id be cautious if you have never had it.  it has to be more or less as above.  you might find out you have more taste than you ever thought.

if you can't stand it, you can take an Expensive Course  :  Discover the Taste Buds you thought you never had.

Not Available for our Friends in Canada

as least with the info I have.

OutStandingStuff.    If you have it for Dinner, I strongly recommend Home Mashed Potatoes.

Bon Apetite

Scrapple is even better with a couple of fried eggs on top and some home fries beside it.

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

On 3/8/2016 at 8:08 AM, Anna N said:

Perhaps the saddest breakfast ever. McD's chicken McNuggets with hot mustard dipping sauce.  But sometimes circumstance trumps choice.  These were purchased yesterday after a day from hell and stashed in the refrigerator overnight in the sure and certain knowledge that today would not be much better than yesterday:(.  On the bright side hunger will not be an issue for some hours although indigestion might! 

Yeah, kinda sad. But even chicken mcnuggets might be improved with a poached egg on top of them....

Edited by kayb
remove weird photo link (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 08/03/2016 at 9:18 AM, liamsaunt said:

Egg sandwich with homemade garlic-black pepper chicken sausage.  I actually made the sausage yesterday for banh mis that I am making for dinner tonight, but wanted to give it a test drive.  Very good.  In fact, I think I will make my own chicken sausage from now on instead of buying it.

Liamsaunt, would you please consider sharing your recipe for the sausage?

Cheese%20Omelette%20March%2010th%2C%2020

Made Moe a cheese omelette with toasted baguette.

• Like 5

Thanks, scubadoo97!  

Today, David Lebovitz posted a recipe for Za’atar Flatbread that looked delicious.  I've seen some lovely examples of flatbreads around here and really should give it a try.  But for today, I cheated.  I anointed a TJ's whole wheat flatbread with olive oil and za'atar, toasted it up and added some other nibble-y bits to make breakfast:

IMG_2645.thumb.jpg.27bfb508717e72bee04ef

Flatbread, cara cara orange, feta, fresh tomato, kalamata olives.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.4eef4fbbc9b069ec38fd59b

I was gifted some farm fresh eggs so nothing to it but to have poached eggs on toast topped with my own home grown Micro greens.  

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Shelby and @blue_dolphin thanks. 

Credit should go to @ElainaA who  inspired me to grow the greens!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

56e5ef212374d_pfunkygriddle.png.bb722ef6

While the photo doesn't show breakfast, it does show the prelim for it (along with two of my three girls, and two of my three grandkids). We were visiting the mom, left, of the two kids in the pic, in Nashville, and went to our favorite breakfast spot, Pfunky Griddle. The aforementioned griddle is in the center of the table, and one cooks one's own pancakes with add-ins of one's choice. I can just tell you, banana slices and Reese's Pieces added to pancakes are a combo made in heaven. The kids went for M&Ms, and my eldest chose berries and walnuts. 

You can also fry up your own potato cakes or hash browns with add-ins -- mushrooms, peppers, cubed ham, cheese. Or make your own omelet. I think it's a great idea for a restaurant.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fried eggs over easy, home fries with onions, bias sliced left over kielbasa and salsa:

IMG_0387.thumb.JPG.c0b4177c34db186d19e2b

Speaking of salsa, got a package from Penzeys on Friday. More salsa, pico de gallo, gyoza dipping sauce and pickles!:

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.1f4cd7cfaa58adfbe1de9

HC

• Like 4

@HungryChris   

Im a big fan of Penzeys

do you have an old blade grinder ? 

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/krups-reg-black-coffee-grinder/1010151120?Keyword=blade+grinder

it looks like you are set for cumin for a while

next time get a blade grinder for spices, and get whole cumin.  lightly toast and then grind .  Night and Day for flavor