• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

This was suppose to be last night's dinner.  But I never got around to roasting the chicken.

So, I roasted it this morning and we had a late breakfast or early brunch depending on how you look at it.

Hot%20chicken%20sandwich%20for%20breakfa

Hot chicken sandwich on homemade bread with double fried fries

• Like 10

Ann - LOVE open faced with gravy sandwiches!  They are the top reason that I bother to roast chicken or beef!

Oops!  Posted lunch here instead of breakfast - editing to correct!

Mr. Kim’s breakfast last Saturday:

DSCN1333.JPG.022888ecd8e4b7d35eb1ab0f7e4

Cheese and jalapeno omelet.  I went straight bacon. 

Breakfast on Sunday started with fruit:

DSCN1373.JPG.a6fd025fb9c1015b5432fb1fa81

And then what I woke up thinking about:

DSCN1374.JPG.a0ff96afddd86ffc7f6a4d24245

DSCN1375.JPG.250184607f9aeb12fffa69b1ce2

Sausage biscuits with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs.  Except the biscuits were those Sister Schubert yeast rolls because they were already thawed in the fridge. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 8

On 3/2/2016 at 9:03 PM, rarerollingobject said:

Sick today and working from home, so I made pure carb coma comfort food; ddeokbokki. Chewy, sticky Korean rice cakes simmered with sliced fish cakes in LIQUID FIRE (which is to say gochujang chilli paste, gochugaru chilli flakes, sugar, garlic, soy sauce and sour green plum syrup until thickened). And lots of green onion and roasted sesame seeds.

SO hot that I've temporarily stopped being light in the head from sickness, and am now light in the head from gochujang buuuuuuuuurn.

ddeok.thumb.jpg.209aecc84e6bb8e8290f7e9d

I would eat breakfast everyday if I could have this  ^^^

If it's not too much trouble, would you link a recipe or give more info on how you made this gorgeous bowl of fire? PS I am also jonesing for your assorted seafood breakfast that made an appearance up-thread. 

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpg.10c4753e8270406f59265884

Inspired by a recipe on The Kitchn.  Blistered tomatoes with capers, garlic, olive oil and a dusting of parmesan on toasted multigrain sourdough (store bought).

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, kbjesq said:

I would eat breakfast everyday if I could have this  ^^^

If it's not too much trouble, would you link a recipe or give more info on how you made this gorgeous bowl of fire? PS I am also jonesing for your assorted seafood breakfast that made an appearance up-thread. 

Of course..thank you for your kind words! I don't really follow a recipe for ddeokbokki, so my vague approximations are:

Soak rice cakes in warm water for half an hour to thaw (they usually come frozen and I use about 500g/1 pound of them at a time, but if you get them in refrigerated or room temperature packs, I'd still soak them for 5 mins or so in warm water to loosen them up a bit) and then drain them. They should be a little pliable but not mushy.

In a pan, heat a bit of oil and tip in the rice cakes. I like to leave them undisturbed for a minute or so to let them develop a bit of a caramelly crust, but that's quite unorthodox. Stir them around with some lengths of green onion (the white parts) for about 2 minutes. Then tip in about 3 Tbsp or so of gochujang chilli paste, some extra chilli flakes if you like them, and a few tsp of sugar. Let that fry for a minute or so, and then add some slices of fish cake or sausage or whatever protein you have (optional), pour in a cup and a half of water and simmer until the sauce thickens, the rices cakes swell and it becomes unctuous. That's it. Garnish with chopped green onion ends. Sometimes I stir blanched ramen in. Sometimes I add cheese. I'm a devil that way. ;)

Here's a good link, though I never bother with the anchovy/kelp stock part, and I'd never use that much water: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukbokkie

• Like 1

Went to the Sydney Fish Markets this morning and while what I REALLY wanted to eat (on the spot) was one of these beautiful fresh sea urchin:

sat3.thumb.jpg.960b625af6d309b182ae3e5bd

Decorum prevailed and I just bought some (comparatively boring) Tasmanian gravlax. And at the greengrocer on the way home, some native Australian finger limes; these are so intensely sour, and the little 'caviar' pop in your mouth and explode in citrus on your tongue.

sat1.jpg.0408ba0d4f3f80b40306b630b1e9490

So, sourdough, butter, gravlax and finger lime for breakfast.

sat2.jpg.1fe4eb66d161318431eada58e545257

• Like 15

Thank you,  @rarerollingobject

I made a special trip to the Asian market today and found the frozen Korean rice cakes & some Korean "fish tofu" & coincidentally ran into a friend who is Korean (serendipity smiled on me today) and I showed her a photo of your dish. She helped me select the ingredients for the sauce. So tomorrow morning, I'm excited to try this dish. (I also picked up way too many bags of Korean ramen, but that's for another thread :smile:)   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Went to the Sydney Fish Markets this morning and while what I REALLY wanted to eat (on the spot) was one of these beautiful fresh sea urchin:

sat3.thumb.jpg.960b625af6d309b182ae3e5bd

Decorum prevailed and I just bought some (comparatively boring) Tasmanian gravlax. And at the greengrocer on the way home, some native Australian finger limes; these are so intensely sour, and the little 'caviar' pop in your mouth and explode in citrus on your tongue.

sat1.jpg.0408ba0d4f3f80b40306b630b1e9490

So, sourdough, butter, gravlax and finger lime for breakfast.

sat2.jpg.1fe4eb66d161318431eada58e545257

Where on earth do you live?  I'm not normally a breakfast person but your selections are changing my point of view. Very good looking eats going on here @rarerollingobject!

ETA: on your profile, it says that you hail from Sydney, Australia.  I just added that destination to my bucket list.  :D

Edited by kbjesq
Fix typo & add comment (log)

3 minutes ago, kbjesq said:

Thank you,  @rarerollingobject

I made a special trip to the Asian market today and found the frozen Korean rice cakes & some Korean "fish tofu" & coincidentally ran into a friend who is Korean (serendipity smiled on me today) and I showed her a photo of your dish. She helped me select the ingredients for the sauce. So tomorrow morning, I'm excited to try this dish. (I also picked up way too many bags of Korean ramen, but that's for another thread :smile:)   

Ooh, lovely! Please post back with how it turns out! It's a very forgiving dish, hard to get wrong. You can jazz it up with garlic and soy sauce etc, but you really don't have to..as long as you have gochujang, you're good to go. Btw, you can also use the gochujang and ramen for one of my other favourite Korean dishes, dak galbi - posted it in the Dinner thread. Good with chicken or pork, or fish cakes! 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 9:03 PM, rarerollingobject said:

Not as pretty as the dish posted by @rarerollingobject but very tasty!  Next time I will add more hot sauce, but since my family was sharing, I played it on the safe side today. I added green onions as suggested as well as chopped "fish tofu"  (whatever that is) and some spicy pickled radish that was hanging out in the refrigerator.  Served with a side dish of sautéed bean sprouts in toasted sesame oil.  Definitely will make this dish again. Thanks for the recipe and cooking instructions  :D

1457220759717340173272.jpg

• Like 6

I make breakfast, but I don't often eat it.   Unless it is something less traditional. 

So these last three breakfasts were made for Moe.

Soft%20Boiled%20Eggs%20with%20Toast%20fi

Today's - Farm fresh eggs, soft boiled with toast fingers.

Bratwurst%20Sausage%20and%20Eggs%20March

Sunday's breakfast - Bratwurst sausage with fried onions and scrambled eggs.

Poached%20Eggs%20March%205th%2C%202016-X

Saturday's breakfast - Poached eggs on toasted baguette.

• Like 8

@Ann_T  

pretty much Berect here

in my area  a long time ago

there was the   "" Smoke House  """

a person from the Local BOS area

went to Germany  and did a full apprenticeship  for s

I can't say  a  German Sausage certification  ??

\

I do not think this is trivial

for a time i was able to Buy His Work !

as delicious as any Tube might be 

I came over all English today and had a simple breakfast of toast and marmalade.

toast.jpg.26c80ccf606825853bf0fc4c56c73f

Only because, to my surprise, I found this little pot of real English marmalade in a local store in deepest China.

marmalade.thumb.jpg.98bf968ca90985514ecb

I suppose I should have had a cup of tea with that, but I stuck to my strong, black coffee.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Poached eggs, Italian toast, scrapple and fresh salsa. Scrapple is one of those items that only goes in the grocery cart when I shop alone and only appears on the menu when I cook for myself. I suspect that I am not alone in this "scrapple purgatory". I believe that, given the opportunity, Deb would replace my feelings of persecution with shame. 

HC

IMG_0336.thumb.JPG.9e859468743e240e5f04f

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.9cddcd6697da2bbcc2d802f

Perhaps the saddest breakfast ever. McD's chicken McNuggets with hot mustard dipping sauce.  But sometimes circumstance trumps choice.  These were purchased yesterday after a day from hell and stashed in the refrigerator overnight in the sure and certain knowledge that today would not be much better than yesterday:(.  On the bright side hunger will not be an issue for some hours although indigestion might! 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Also I had to wiki what the heck scrapple was, but it looks tasty! Is it the kind of thing that comes in big blocks from the store and you slice as you go, or pre sliced slices, or do you make your own or what? 

(leaving the wiki link here in case anyone else wants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple)

It looks like a cultural cousin of haggis / Lorne sausage / white pudding. What's the texture like?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tere said:

Also I had to wiki what the heck scrapple was, but it looks tasty! Is it the kind of thing that comes in big blocks from the store and you slice as you go, or pre sliced slices, or do you make your own or what? 

(leaving the wiki link here in case anyone else wants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple)

It looks like a cultural cousin of haggis / Lorne sausage / white pudding. What's the texture like?

Tere.

I buy it in 1 lb bricks (about the size of 1 lb of butter). It is about the same consistency as cold butter as well. I slice it into saltine like slices and fry it in a pan. You have to wait for it to crisp up before you can flip it without difficulty, then crisp it up on the other side. It is just one of those things (like beef tongue) that I was taught to cook at a very young age and it is a bit of nostalgia to me that I think tastes great. Others just can't get past the ingredients.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

@Tere, you may also find these topics about scrapple enlightening:  Scrapple and its culinary cousins and scrapple: wherein i sacrifice my health (to find the best scrapple).

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown