• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

image.thumb.jpeg.083bd0f4eb82dde70c0f1e7

, Ham, egg and a toasted English muffin.  So good!  Early morning appointments can definitely work up  an appetite. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning (no photo; can never remember to take pics in the mornings!), steel-cut oats cooked with dates, sweetened with a bare teaspoon of maple syrup. Warm stuff on a cold, rainy day.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

25136519722_6756d37e38.jpg

Sunny-side egg. Chorizo. Stone-ground grits from somewhere deep in the heart of Tennessee.

I said to myself, as I was taking this picture for the Infatuation instagram, I wish I had ring molds so the eggs would come out perfectly round.

But Sig Eater likes her eggs over easy, and I like them as pictured. And I make them in the same pan, at the same time, so some dissection is

required.  

Anyway, I open one of my kitchen drawers, and there are 2 ring molds in there! Next time.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Weinoo, I think that you breakfast looks delicious. And I think your egg looks the way an egg is suppose to look.

Moe wanted just a couple of pieces of toast as a pre-breakfast before heading over to the workshop.

This will keep him going until he gets home for a real breakfast.

February%2025th%2C%202016%20Toasted-XL.j

• Like 9

Ann - if I had bread like that, I think I'd just eat toast and butter for every meal.  :x

Breakfast this morning:

DSCN1326.JPG.dbdff080383dd78c425cf647d7e

Had some nice Camparis and couldn’t resist.  This was about the only breakfast that my mother could talk me into eating when I was a little girl and it is still a favorite when I have good tomatoes!

• Like 10

Thanks Kim.  And I would be happy with your breakfast.  Toast and tomatoes is my favourite breakfast.   Just with salt and pepper though. 

Used up the roast beef from last night's dinner.

Moe%27s%20breakfast%20February%2025th%2C

Made Moe his favourite - Roast Beef with au jus served with scrambled egg and toast.

Top%20Sirloin%20Roast%20leftovers%20beef

And my favourite leftover roast beef sandwich - Beef Dip. I added a little homemade horseradish to the sandwich.  

• Like 13

@HungryChris

What is on your bagel in addition to the cream cheese?  Pickles?  Zucchini? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@HungryChris

What is on your bagel in addition to the cream cheese?  Pickles?  Zucchini? 

Anna,

Pickled zucchini and onions and capers, yes. The pickles are something that takes a few minutes to make.I have come to use them in salads, sandwiches and as sides. They keep a nice little crunch. I am just about ready for another batch.  

HC

56d1c723a4f33_LENOVO--Pickledzucchiniand

• Like 3

I realise that for a lot of people this would be a big pile of Nope, and especially for breakfast, but Esoteric Seafood Spelunking is kind of my happy place, so...look at these storm clams! Bigger than the palm of my hand. From Cloudy Bay in NZ. So beautiful.

Chopped up with raw oysters, prawns, octopus, calamari and spring onions, mixed into a rice-flour based pancake batter and fried in duck fat, into haemul pajeon - crispy Korean seafood pancakes, with a soy/sesame oil and pear juice dipping sauce.  

image.thumb.jpg.39a851e33faf8da37d172337

image.thumb.jpg.071d97c246a88902f64ec71d

image.thumb.jpg.7b1991bf7b9c9f2f27a3dc0c

image.thumb.jpg.52d84073c7466bbceaa65e04

• Like 17

My, my @liuzhou. You might have uncovered the source of my dislike of beans!  Beans on toast made far too many appearances on the table in the late 50s. Right up there with spaghetti (from a can) on toast. Did not evoke even a hint of nostalgia. xD But enjoy. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Beans on toast made far too many appearances on the table in the late 50s. Right up there with spaghetti (from a can) on toast

Same for me. I hated the canned spaghetti back then, too. Yet, I do eat beans on toast about once a year. With lots of black pepper.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Ham and egg on toasted home-made Pullman loaf with HP sauce front and centre for dipping

image.thumb.jpeg.5b6b8d1b0427847c03c7b83

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

It's nice to be back home after another week in Houston as wheelchair pusher/prescription fetcher/medical scribe/hotel kitchenette chef/cheerleader/etc. for a dear relative of mine.  

I seem to be lacking a few pantry staples but there were 2 slices of sourdough in the freezer that I toasted and slathered with some of the ginger butter that Anna N called out in the Recipes That Rock thread.   Found a cara cara orange in the fridge to go with.  No photo because I overly blackened the toast but that ginger butter is a keeper!

• Like 5

Sick today and working from home, so I made pure carb coma comfort food; ddeokbokki. Chewy, sticky Korean rice cakes simmered with sliced fish cakes in LIQUID FIRE (which is to say gochujang chilli paste, gochugaru chilli flakes, sugar, garlic, soy sauce and sour green plum syrup until thickened). And lots of green onion and roasted sesame seeds.

SO hot that I've temporarily stopped being light in the head from sickness, and am now light in the head from gochujang buuuuuuuuurn.

ddeok.thumb.jpg.209aecc84e6bb8e8290f7e9d

• Like 6