• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

Not sure if my imagination is responsible or the ever riper avocado that was staring back at me and pricking my conscience.  Flat bread topped with cheese, oven roasted tomatoes from the freezer and some avocado. A good sprinkling of sumac seemed to bring it together. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Breakfast this morning was a nutritional powerhouse of half a pork pie, and then I stopped at a winery I'm staying nearby while on holiday and had, uh, a Moscato slushie. As you do. Ahem.

image.thumb.jpg.689099cc43808d1fd4278e19

image.thumb.jpg.63b479ebf15815041a95b019

*swoon*  I'm forever enamored by you, RRO.  A wine slushy.  Amazing.  I want. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shelby said:

*swoon*  I'm forever enamored by you, RRO.  A wine slushy.  Amazing.  I want. 

I know!  The only time I get a wine slushy is when I put a bottle in the freezer for a quick chill and leave it a bit too long :$!

Today's breakfast:  I scrambled an egg into some leftover chipotle rice and veg:

IMG_2584.thumb.jpg.8bf298306e67b7c2d5c29

• Like 4

25014575771_169b0ddfcc.jpg

Appetizing "platter" for 1 (Yes, I made 2).

From Russ & Daughters - pickled herring,  Gaspe nova, whitefish salad. Campari tomatoes.

Served with mini-bagels, cream cheese.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@weinoo

Added herring to my grocery list.  

image.thumb.jpeg.c0e9d6f1753933421c64a9e

Home made pita stuffed with scrambled eggs and tomato chutney. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Chipotle brown rice medley (brown rice, black barley & daikon radish seeds) with tofu and vegetables:

IMG_2599.thumb.jpg.990fe9fbdb373275d32e3

Edited to add that I have been eating bowl-o-chipotle-rice for quite a few meals recently.  I was excited to try this tofu version and it was good but I think I'm finally getting tired of it.  I think it's time to move on :D

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add text (log)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Liuzhou, that is how I like my boiled eggs.

I'm on your  Moe's side, I'm afraid. When I cut into that poached egg, I want to see the Yellow River!

Which I normally achieve, but not today. I hang my head.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhouStuff happens, and it was obviously the toaster's fault. :smile:

My 1970's oven is sent by Satan (the evil landlord), but somehow I wrest good stuff out of it mostly. When stuff happens, I have an out. The oven did it! My husband buys it.

We don't eat breakfast per se, but I love this thread because we frequently have breakfast foods for dinner, and I get a lot of inspiration from all the wonderful meals posted here.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

On 2/21/2016 at 8:29 AM, Anna N said:

Not sure if my imagination is responsible or the ever riper avocado that was staring back at me and pricking my conscience.  Flat bread topped with cheese, oven roasted tomatoes from the freezer and some avocado. A good sprinkling of sumac seemed to bring it together. 

image.jpeg

Anna, you make some of the most interesting tartines...Wow!

Beautiful bread as always Ann_T

image.thumb.jpeg.5366799a26aa7ff7ab7571b

Well-peppered goat cheese on toast. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I just read that it's National Toast Day

Wow, toast has a day?  Oh man, and I'm staying in a Houston hotel with a crappy toaster when I should be home celebrating with my Cuisi steam oven - my maker of sublime toast!  

On the other hand, yesterday was National Margarita Day and I was able to partake. Not for breakfast though xDxDxD

• Like 3

56cd139819705_sardinesontoast1.thumb.jpg

Not what I'd usually think of for breakfast, but I woke up with a craving for sardines on toast. Home made bread, canned sardines in tomato sauce (I washed off most of the sauce - unfortunately the only sardines I can find here are in tomato sauce). Served with a mug of black coffee.

56cd13b44856b_sardinesontoast2.jpg.8adf3

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@liuzhouDid you ever think about or try your sardines in tomato sauce over pasta?

I have eaten it. It was the sort of thing my mother considered to be "haut cuisine". I still have nightmares about overcooked macaroni with with canned sardines in tomato sauce. But never had it for breakfast.

These day I only used canned sardines on toast. With pasta, I prefer fresh fish which I can get easily. Although what the Chinese call sardines aren't what I call sardines. But then "sardines" covers many species.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Sardines in tomato sauce are the only kind I like!   Could not imagine them on pasta but if I had some in the house right now I'd be enjoying them on toast (and it's not even 4:30 am).  Still one of the cheapest sources of protein I can lay my hands on.

My 2004 eG Blog