• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

leftover cut up sea scallops

If only such leftovers were in my fridge!

Scrambled eggs with green chile adobo, sugar snap peas and sourdough toast:

IMG_2516.thumb.jpg.af6d04bd741a945a87246

I wasn't sure if I wanted the green chile adobo in the eggs, on the toast or in the peas....the eggs won this round and they were nice.  As I put them on the plate, I realized I should have included some ham to make a Seuss-like breakfast xD!  

• Like 5

I love being able to try and buy local cheeses at farmers' markets.  Two of my favorites are produced in the San Joaquin Valley, and I discovered them during an extended summer visit to Visalia.  One I can get when i visit the area in the winter, but the other - well, it was a lovely sheep cheese with a delightful vendor, but I'll never see it again unless I manage another summer visit. :( 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Uni; uni on toast with guanciale; uni on toast with guanciale blistered under the grill until the fat is melty and the uni quivering like warm custard. And a Bloody Mary, not pictured.

Because, as I was telling myself when contemplating ingesting seafood, pork fat and vodka before 10am, I'M AN ADULT AND I CAN DO WHAT I WANT. 

uni2.jpg

uni1.jpg

uni3.jpg

• Like 14

You know how to live, @rarerollingobject!

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Damn right. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, Smithy said:

You know how to live, @rarerollingobject!

It's my only talent! ;)

And now; zucchini, feta, mint and dill fritters, topped with soft goat curd and trout I cured myself with beetroot, vodka, sugar, salt, white pepper and dill. And a boiled egg sprinkled with smoked and celery salts. Which I accidentally over-boiled past my preferred state of ooziness, but there you go. 

image.jpg

• Like 12

Lovely, which reminds me I have frozen grated zucchini in the freezer.  AND I have some commercial smoked trout.  I can see something good for breakfast tomorrow.  

By the way, looks like you got a nice crispy crust on those zcakes. :D

• Like 1

Move over Mickey!  Bacon and egg muffin with melted double Gloucester.

image.jpeg

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of uni and, wouldn't you know it, I gave up guanciale for Lent! Otherwise, I'm sure I be having RRO's amazing breakfast xD!

But fortunately, I have some nice eggs from this week's farmer's market.

Poached egg on toasted sourdough with green chile adobo:

IMG_2538.thumb.jpg.dcce3bffd8c41886197da`

• Like 8

Egg Poached with Ancho Chile, Kale, Potatoes and Fresh Cheese from More Mexican Everyday.  The potatoes and kale are nicely flavored from cooking in the the mix of red chile adobo sauce (one of "Four Secret Weapons" Bayless recommends keeping on hand) and chicken broth.  Not sure it did a whole heck of a lot for the egg other than turning the white brown but it was fun to try a little something different and the flavors are quite rich for something that comes together so quickly.  

Not the best looking picture here.  I cut the recipe down by 1/4 to make a single serving so I could cook and eat from the same dish, which ends up looking very messy in the picture and while I tried to angle the dish in the sunlight, it's still hard to see the potatoes and kale in the dark sauce.  

IMG_2547.thumb.jpg.9a74e5d1406c9c9d750a1

Edited to add that the recipe calls for bacon and I omitted it.  

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

So, here we have um, grilled chocolate and chile sandwiches.  Really.  

IMG_2551.thumb.jpg.d02604fcf3ca099641b73

I got the idea from a Food52 piece on repurposing leftover Valentine's chocolate.  My leftovers were even older - a Valrhona advent calendar that I received but forgot about a few days into the season and apparently left where it got hit with a spot of afternoon sun :(.  I added a smear of the sweet-sour chipotle salsa negra from More Mexican Everyday to one sandwich and some red pepper and ancho chile jam to the other.  Cara cara orange to go with. 

We went from this:

IMG_2549.jpg.f749920e104503f29e62e564753

To this:

IMG_2554.thumb.jpg.544be1e6ec6e155b163a2

I'd say that's a good use of leftovers! 

• Like 9

Not sure I'd be quite as adventurous but I absolutely won't knock it. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

That chocolate sandwich is SPECTACULAR, @blue_dolphin! I love it. And beautiful rolls, @Kim Shook.

Dan dan mian for breakfast; Sichuanese wheat noodles with crispy minced pork, lashings of chilli oil, Sichuan pepper oil, Tianjin preserved vegetables, Chinkiang black vinegar, dark and light soy sauces, leek flower sauce, crispy peanuts and a thousand chopped green onions. 

mian.jpg.d41ee145c4c2934f51e83f37291e13b

• Like 7

After fighting with my laptop for two hours this morning -- and winning! I decided I deserved a treat for breakfast. So, bacon with poached egg yolks on rye toast, with a tangerine. I have really enjoyed tangerines this year, and the bacon and eggs were a welcome change from my standard fruit smoothie.

breakfast 0218.JPG

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.thumb.jpeg.db0241230c76102b23b573c

Fried egg over leftover wheatbberry salad. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Sticking with the theme of an egg over leftovers.  Last night, I made the Creamy Zucchini, Corn and Roasted Poblanos from More Mexican Everyday and served it with a roasted chicken thigh.  For today's breakfast, I put a poached egg on top:

IMG_2570.thumb.jpg.8405fac21ad15f0179fff

So in the case of this particular dish, I can state with certainty that the chicken came before the egg O.o!

Sorry about that.  I couldn't resist.

• Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.85334c274d84852583b988a

Poached eggs on still warm from the griddle Lebanese style flatbread.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Here's the last of the Creamy Zucchini, Corn and Roasted Poblanos from More Mexican Everyday (posted above under an egg and on the dinner thread with roasted chicken).   I warmed a TJ's whole wheat flatbread, smeared it with green chile adobo, added the leftovers, topped it with queso fresco, heated again to melt the cheese and served with a cara cara orange.

IMG_2573.thumb.jpg.36939073765bfa2400757

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Poached eggs on still warm from the griddle Lebanese style flatbread.  

Looks wonderful! Do you have a link to, or would you share a recipe for, your Lebanese style flatbread? As I am making chicken shawarma tonight, that's on my mind....

This morning (houseguest was my excuse!) we had latkes. I had a poached egg yolk on one, and a combo of Greek yogurt and homemade apple butter on t'other. With Wright's bacon. Yum!

56c8e65803ad6_breakfast0220.JPG.616a43fc

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Here's  a link to the recipe I used. I mixed the dough in the Thermomix but it can certainly be done by hand or in a stand mixer. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog