• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2016 (Part 1)

Patrick S

image.thumb.jpeg.50bf8fa336212a2cc0cbae9

Toasted home made pain de mie with home made lime marmalade.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Did a play on Crepe suzette  with waffles.  Was nice and bright but would wait until after flaming the grand marnier  to add the supremes next time. 

ohF6l9W.jpg

• Like 5

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is the breakfast I still refer to by the name I used for it as a little kid - Po Yeg:

IMG_2514.thumb.jpg.cb44286a84697cfb208e2

This TJ's sourdough toast is not bad, but if only I had some of Ann_T's homemade bread.  Sigh.... my life would be complete :x

I'd love to know the steps you take to create that kind of lovely poached eggs? I've tried a few times, last one with the mesh strainer method. What I still ended up with was yolk that was barely covered by any white around it. I did it in a small pot, so could that be it? Hoping to some day nail it as many here seem to do!

5 minutes ago, EsaK said:

I'd love to know the steps you take to create that kind of lovely poached eggs? I've tried a few times, last one with the mesh strainer method. What I still ended up with was yolk that was barely covered by any white around it. I did it in a small pot, so could that be it? Hoping to some day nail it as many here seem to do!

You need very fresh eggs. Follow a few chickens around until you see what pops out, then run to the kitchen!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, EsaK said:

@EsaK, you may find this eG Culinary Institute course helpful:  All About Eggs -- Poaching.  There are a few other topics around here on egg poaching, and of course we can hope that @blue_dolphin elaborates on her method. :) 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@EsaK, the info that @Smithy recommended is very good.  If I have older eggs, I use the Julia Child method decribed there.   The particular egg in that breakfast picture was fairly fresh -not as fresh as @liuzhou describes, but I bought them at my local farmer's market last week so I didn't do anything special with them.  Simmering water with a little salt, swirl with a spoon and crack the egg into the vortex.  Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook ~3 min.

Today's breakfast:

image.thumb.jpeg.99887670591477372deb817

As of Feb, United has reinstituted free snacks and at breakfast, it's a stroopwafel, being warmed here by my coffee.  I prefer the biscoff cookies they used to have, but appreciated having a little something with my coffee after boarding at 04:45 AM :shock::shock:

• Like 3

@rarerollingobject

You can't just say "white miso cream and garlic butter sauce" and walk away!   Tell us more. Inquisite minds want to know.  I can't begin to tell you how your breakfast calls out to me for anytime of the day.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@rarerollingobject

You can't just say "white miso cream and garlic butter sauce" and walk away!   Tell us more. Inquisite minds want to know.  I can't begin to tell you how your breakfast calls out to me for anytime of the day.

Haha, love it. OK, so here's the full thing; I ripped up some fresh shimeji and shiitake mushrooms and soaked a mix of dried forest mushrooms and then squeezed them dry. In a dry pan, I browned the fresh mushrooms until toasty. Then I added a knob of butter and some sliced garlic and browned it a little. Then I splashed in some sake to stop the garlic burning and sizzled the mushrooms in it till it evaporated, and tipped in the soaked dried mushrooms and a little of their soaking water. Then I stirred a heaped tablespoon of sweet white saikyo miso (the very delicate Kyoto-style kind, but any kind of white miso will do) into the water to dissolve it and bubbled it away for a minute. Added a dash of cream and seasoned with mirin, soy sauce and white pepper. I let the cream thicken and reduce, and then tipped it all out onto buttered toast and garnished with chilli flakes, thyme and goats' cheese.

Took about five minutes' cooking all up.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

Haha, love it. OK, so here's the full thing; I ripped up some fresh shimeji and shiitake mushrooms and soaked a mix of dried forest mushrooms and then squeezed them dry. In a dry pan, I browned the fresh mushrooms until toasty. Then I added a knob of butter and some sliced garlic and browned it a little. Then I splashed in some sake to stop the garlic burning and sizzled the mushrooms in it till it evaporated, and tipped in the soaked dried mushrooms and a little of their soaking water. Then I stirred a heaped tablespoon of sweet white saikyo miso (the very delicate Kyoto-style kind, but any kind of white miso will do) into the water to dissolve it and bubbled it away for a minute. Added a dash of cream and seasoned with mirin, soy sauce and white pepper. I let the cream thicken and reduce, and then tipped it all out onto buttered toast and garnished with chilli flakes, thyme and goats' cheese.

Took about five minutes' cooking all up.

Thank you, thank you. Mushrooms on toast are one of my favorite quick meals.  This looks perfectly adaptable to what ever mushrooms, cheese etc. happen to be in the house. Miso is a fridge staple and I am rarely without mushrooms of some sort both fresh and dried. 

My 2004 eG Blog

@liamsaunt

Your flatbread looks delicious so I'm just wondering if you made it yourself and if so would you share the recipe?

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liamsaunt

Your flatbread looks delicious so I'm just wondering if you made it yourself and if so would you share the recipe?

Yes, I did make it.  It's actually a Mario Batali recipe for pizza dough.  He suggests that you cook the doughs on a cast iron griddle on both sides and then put on the toppings and run the pizza under the broiler to finish.  This was a leftover precooked dough from the last time I made pizza.  He says you can precook them and freeze, which is what I did with the one.  His dough recipe is:

1 1/4 c. warm water

2 tsp. yeast

1.5 tsp sugar

3.5 c. flour

2 tbsp. kosher salt

1/4 cup olive oil

combine water, sugar and yeast and let stand until foamy.  Combine flour and salt in a stand mixer and add the liquid and the oil, and mix until smooth and elastic.  Let rise until doubled in size and then punch it down and divide into eight pieces.  Stretch out and cook both sides on a very hot cast iron griddle until dry and browned in spots, about 4 minutes total per dough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Yes, I did make it.  It's actually a Mario Batali recipe for pizza dough.  He suggests that you cook the doughs on a cast iron griddle on both sides and then put on the toppings and run the pizza under the broiler to finish.  This was a leftover precooked dough from the last time I made pizza.  He says you can precook them and freeze, which is what I did with the one.  His dough recipe is:

1 1/4 c. warm water

2 tsp. yeast

1.5 tsp sugar

3.5 c. flour

2 tbsp. kosher salt

1/4 cup olive oil

combine water, sugar and yeast and let stand until foamy.  Combine flour and salt in a stand mixer and add the liquid and the oil, and mix until smooth and elastic.  Let rise until doubled in size and then punch it down and divide into eight pieces.  Stretch out and cook both sides on a very hot cast iron griddle until dry and browned in spots, about 4 minutes total per dough.

Marvelous. Thank you. That seems like an awful lot of salt for 31/2 cups of flour even if it is kosher salt!   Could it perhaps be 2 teaspoons? 

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

Marvelous. Thank you. That seems like an awful lot of salt for 31/2 cups of flour even if it is kosher salt!   Could it perhaps be 2 teaspoons? 

I double checked the recipe and it did call for 2 tbsp.  But then I looked in my other Batali cookbooks and found two other versions, one with 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. salt, and the other only called for one tsp. salt!  The bread was not overly salty, but it is possible I used less salt too.  2 tbsp. does seem like a lot.

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I double checked the recipe and it did call for 2 tbsp.  But then I looked in my other Batali cookbooks and found two other versions, one with 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. salt, and the other only called for one tsp. salt!  The bread was not overly salty, but it is possible I used less salt too.  2 tbsp. does seem like a lot.

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Yes. For that amount of flour I would normally use two generous teaspoons of Diamond Crystal salt.  

My 2004 eG Blog