• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Bean sprouts seem like a chronic offender.

Sprouts of various kinds, yes. Sadly the warm, moist conditions they require for growth correspond very closely to the conditions favored by pathogens.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

OK.  Just spoke to the produce manager in our local downtown FreshCo and he knows about the bean sprouts issue.  He says ours are not on the contaminated dates but to bring them in if I felt better...and somehow I think I'll feel better not eating them.  Thanks CD for always being there.  

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Listeria outbreak: 4 deaths, 30 hospitalizations linked to recalled enoki mushrooms"

Sun Hong Foods recalled the mushrooms Monday because they may be contaminated with listeria, according to the Food and Drug Administration's website.

Four deaths have been reported in California, Hawaii and New Jersey, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The CDC has gotten 36 reports of infected people from 17 states...

"Do not eat, serve, or sell any recalled enoki mushrooms distributed by Sun Hong Foods, Inc." the CDC said on its website.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'm guessing this is related to the previous sprouts recall, but a Sobey's/Foodland Asian vegetable mix is also being recalled in Ontario for salmonella.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-03-11/eng/1583976403428/1583976409393?utm_source=r_listserv

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

EcoIdeas chocolate cake mix and pancake mixes, possible salmonella. This one's national.

https://www.vqronline.org/reporting-articles/2020/03/no-end-sight

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A hard cheese called "La Napoleon," from Quebec's Fromagerie Blackburn, has been recalled for possible listeria contamination. At present, only Quebec is affected.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-03-26/eng/1585278929785/1585278935840?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A hard cheese called "La Napoleon," from Quebec's Fromagerie Blackburn, has been recalled for possible listeria contamination. At present, only Quebec is affected.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-03-26/eng/1585278929785/1585278935840?utm_source=r_listserv

Is it my imagination, or do the majority of food recalls in Canada originate in Quebec?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, chromedome said:

Another cheese from the same producer has been added to the recall.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-04-05/eng/1586117185359/1586117191185?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post, but in April, I believe, we had a message on the home phone from Shoprite...since I used the loyalty card for our purchase, an item that was recalled was tracked back. I was pretty happy that the system worked...and that said item was still in the freezer.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

https://www.consumerreports.org/food-safety/cattle-farms-most-likely-contributor-to-2019-e-coli-romaine-outbreaks-fda-finds/?EXTKEY=NF05NCF5&utm_source=acxiom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200530_nsltr_food

An explanation of how the e coli outbreaks are started.  One thing not mentioned in this article and which I have read elsewhere, is that the land areas defining the edges of the romaine fields are cleared of all vegetation which might otherwise have prevented the airborne fecal matter from reaching the vegetable fields. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

Brandt brand mini farmer sausages, affects Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. Listeria, in this case.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-06-15/eng/1592274864237/1592274870603?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This one's Quebec only, so I don't believe it affects anyone who's currently active here, but there's a recall for E. coli on sweetened dried cranberries from Les Aliments Johnvince:

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-06-19/eng/1592586431958/1592586437935?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

"Outbreak of Cyclospora Infections in the Midwestern U.S. Linked to Bagged Salad Mix"

CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administrationexternal icon (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Cyclospora infections linked to bagged salad mix containing carrots, red cabbage, and iceberg lettuce purchased at ALDI, Hy-Vee, and Jewel-Osco stores in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Tim Oliver

Not a recall, but a warning...Stop hugging your chickens!

"Outbreaks of Salmonella Infections Linked to Backyard Poultry"

You can get sick with a Salmonella infection from touching backyard poultry or their environment. Backyard poultry can carry Salmonella bacteria even if they look healthy and clean and show no signs of illness.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Pilgrim's Pride Corporation Recalls Chicken Breast Nugget Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Pilgrim’s Pride Corporation, a Waco, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 59,800 pounds of fully cooked chicken breast nugget products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically flexible rubber material, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken breast nugget items were produced on May 6, 2020. The following products are subject to recall [View Labels (PDF Only)] : 

4-lb. plastic bag packages containing “Pilgrim’s FULLY COOKED CHICKEN BREAST NUGGETS,” with a Best-By date of 06 MAY 2021 and lot code of 0127 printed on the retail package. Product cases contain lot codes 0127105009, 0127105010, 0127105011, 0127105012, 0127105013, 0127105014, 0127105015, or 0127105016 printed on the box.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “P-20728” printed on individual retail packages as well as product cases. These items were shipped to retail locations in Arizona, Idaho, Oregon, and Texas.  

Tim Oliver

A big one, for Canadian salad-eaters: Several Fresh Express pre-cut salad kits have been recalled nationally for cyclospora contamination.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-06-28/eng/1593389058603/1593389064393?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Food recalls have been few and far between of late - a silver lining to the pandemic and the renewed awareness of sanitation, perhaps? - but I have one today. It's for red onions imported from the US by Sysco so it won't directly affect consumers here as such. Mostly likely though we'll see a rash of derivative recalls as restaurants, delis etc. figure out what they've made for retail sale that incorporates the onions. Applies to all provinces from Ontario west.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-07-31/eng/1596169910818/1596169916854?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Food recalls have been few and far between of late - a silver lining to the pandemic and the renewed awareness of sanitation, perhaps? - but I have one today. It's for red onions imported from the US by Sysco so it won't directly affect consumers here as such. Mostly likely though we'll see a rash of derivative recalls as restaurants, delis etc. figure out what they've made for retail sale that incorporates the onions. Applies to all provinces from Ontario west.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-07-31/eng/1596169910818/1596169916854?utm_source=r_listserv

Apparently it's already shaping up to be one of the year's bigger food safety stories...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pei-salmonella-outbreak-canada-linked-to-red-onions-1.5670208

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear CD,  Thanks for keeping us up to date and safe on these issues.  And I am delighted to report that our current bag of red onions...without which life would definitively lose some of its sparkle...the onions are Ontario-grown.   The tag was still on the bag.  

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Found online this morning for our American friends:

As of Friday, only red onions have been linked to the multinational outbreak, but U.S. officials say consumers should error on the side of caution when it comes to onion consumption right now.

“Thomson International Inc. has notified FDA that it will 
be recalling all varieties of onions that could have come in contact with potentially contaminated red onions, due to the risk of cross-contamination,” according to the FDA update. “This recall would include red, white, yellow, and sweet onions from Thomson International Inc. Recall information will be made public as soon as it is available from Thomson International Inc.”

• Thanks 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.