• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

BeeZee

Food recalls

Another Romaine lettuce recall:

"Romaine lettuce E. coli warning expanded"

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded its warning about an E. coli outbreak connected to romaine lettuce to cover all forms of romaine, including whole heads and hearts of romaine grown in the Yuma, Arizona, growing area. A previous warning was limited to chopped forms of romaine, including salads and salad mixes.

The CDC based the new warning on eight new cases of acute gastroenteritis at a correctional facility in Nome, Alaska, that appear to be connected to the current outbreak affecting 53 people in 16 states. Thirty-one of those have been hospitalized, the CDC said, and although no one has died, five people have developed a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome.

"CDC: 'Throw away' pre-cut melons after salmonella outbreak"

The CDC has issued a warning after a group of pre-cut melon products may have led to the hospitalization of over 30 people for salmonella infections...

The recalled products were distributed to stores in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, and Ohio. They were sold in clear plastic containers at stores including Costco, Jay C, Kroger, Payless, Owen’s, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Walgreens, Walmart, and Whole Foods.

@Toliver

Thanks for the heads-up. I sent the link to my daughter in Georgia.

• Like 1

Two new recalls from this morning's news:

"More than 228,000 pounds of Spam recalled"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is recalling more than 228,000 pounds of Spam and another product made by Minnesota-based Hormel after four consumers complained about metal objects in the food...

The USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service says the canned chicken and pork in question was produced in February at the company's plant in Fremont, Nebraska. The agency says "minor oral injuries" have been reported...

The recall covers 12-ounce metal cans containing "SPAM Classic" with a "Best By" date of February 2021 date. Those products were shipped throughout the U.S.

The product codes of the recalled Spam are listed in the article.

"Tyson recalls frozen chicken tenders due to risk of plastic contamination"

Tyson Foods Inc. has issued a recall for 3,120 pounds of frozen chicken tenders in the United States due to the risk there might be blue and clear soft plastic pieces inside the product. 

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspect Service reports in a news release that the problem was discovered by a supplier on Friday, June 8. The affected frozen, uncooked breaded chicken tenders were produced on May 17 of this year. 

The USDA reports the recall covers 3-pound plastic bags of Tyson "UNCOOKED, BREADED, ORIGINAL CHICKEN TENDERLOINS" with a lot code of 1378NLR02. The product was shipped in a 12-pound box that contains the 3-pound plastic bags of chicken. 

• Thanks 1

This recall is all over the news this morning:

"Kellogg's Recalls Honey Smacks Cereal After Outbreak"

Kellogg Company has issued a recall of its Honey Smacks cereal in the face of a salmonella outbreak that has infected 73 people across 31 states and put 24 in hospital. No-one has died from the outbreak at present...
The CDC warned Americans to dispose of any Honey Smacks cereal with a “best if used by” date between June 14, 2018 and June 14, 2019 to prevent the contraction of salmonella.

I remember them way back when they were originally called Sugar Smacks. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and sugar wasn't evil. ;) xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

This recall is all over the news this morning:

"Kellogg's Recalls Honey Smacks Cereal After Outbreak"

I remember them way back when they were originally called Sugar Smacks. You know, back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and sugar wasn't evil. ;) xD

You mean way back when when there were no Honey Nut Cheerios and you had to sprinkle sugar on them yourself?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that I'm angling to become the Food Recall King, but here's another (small) one in the news:

"FDA: Illnesses linked to Del Monte vegetable trays"

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it is investigating 78 illnesses associated with recalled Del Monte vegetable trays sold in five Midwest states.

The FDA said Saturday trays, which contain broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dill dip, were sold in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin at Kwik Trip/Kwik Star locations. Cases of cyclospora illnesses were linked to the trays.

The article lists Del Monte's phone number regarding the recall, as well as their email address for the recall.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not that I'm angling to become the Food Recall King,

Oh, I don't know...I kinda think of you as at least the Food Recall Ambassador...

• Haha 3