• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

There's a recall on several sandwiches sold at Circle K/Couche Tard, for listeria. They're only *known* to have been sold in Quebec (and frankly, I suspect gas-station sandwiches aren't especially a weakness for most of us) but may have been distributed elsewhere.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/food-recall-warning-certain-circle-k-couche-tard-brand-sandwiches-recalled-due?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Western folks, be aware that Taynton brand pickle-flavored vodka (a phrase I never thought I'd type, but here we are) has been recalled for excessive levels of copper. It's sold in BC and Alberta, and online.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/taynton-bay-spirits-brand-pickle-vodka-recalled-due-elevated-levels-copper?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Like 2

Finocchiona brand salami, the Sweet Fennel version, is being recalled for possible salmonella contamination. It was sold from BC to Ontario.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/venetian-meats-brand-finocchiona-salami-sweet-fennel-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, palo said:

After 69 years in California I mistook CA for the state instead of our northern neighbors.  😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

After 69 years in California I mistook CA for the state instead of our northern neighbors.  😄

Indeed. I did a double take also. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...

Four surface-ripened cheeses from Quebec are being recalled for listeria. They were sold in both Quebec and Ontario, and may have made their way to other provinces. Brands are La Vache à Maillotte and Le Fromage au Village.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/surface-ripened-soft-and-semi-soft-cheeses-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not a food recall as such, but if anyone uses Fiber Plus powder as a supplement/laxative, please be aware that a batch has been recalled for cronobacter contamination.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/fiber-plus-powder-affected-lots-may-contain-presence-cronobacter-contamination?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

It's worth pointing out that these notices (and a big thank-you to members who post them) are kind of deceptive, in that if one reads a headline like "Daniele International LLC Recalls Ready-to-Eat Sausage Products Due to Possible Listeria Contamination," one might think that they should avoid sausages with the name "Danielle" on them.

In fact, Danielle isn't a brand you are likely to come across in the deli. However, depending on where you live, you might be familiar with brand names like Frederik, Boar's Head, Colameco and Del Duca. Danielle makes sausages for all those companies, and those are the names you need to look for. But unless you've read the notice, you wouldn't know that, or which of those brand's products might be subject to recall. 

Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not criticizing those of you who post recall notices. Far from it. Rather, I want you to do your due diligence, and follow the links they're giving you. At worst, you'll come to find that something in you refrigerator is lying in wait to poison you. At best, you'll learn that Bourbon BBQ Vienna Sausages exist (scroll down a bit). Because this is a great country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

3 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

In fact, Danielle isn't a brand you are likely to come across in the deli. However, depending on where you live, you might be familiar with brand names like Frederik, Boar's Head, Colameco and Del Duca. Danielle makes sausages for all those companies, and those are the names you need to look for. But unless you've read the notice, you wouldn't know that, or which of those brand's products might be subject to recall. 

Not being from "down under" it would be unlikely that I would run across any of those brands that you mention, but a very well-known brand "Armour" is much more prevalent and looking at the list is the most common thread.

p

A couple of raw-milk cheddars from Quebec-based Le Cru de Clocher are being recalled for listeria. They were sold in Ontario and Quebec, and online.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/fromage-au-village-brand-cru-du-clocher-raw-milk-cheddar-cheese-recalled-due-listeria?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1

A lot of cheeses sold under the "Fresh Fun Fantastic" and "Fromage au Village" brands are being recalled for listeria. They were sold in Ontario and Quebec, and online.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/fromage-au-village-and-freshfun-fantastic-brand-cheese-products-recalled-due-listeria?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&#wb-auto-2

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1

Yet another cheese recall for listeria, but this one's a bit higher-profile than most. It's Loblaw's PC brand aged Canadian (1-year) cheddar, in the 250g block.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/pc-brand-canadian-cheddar-cheese-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This is a bit niche, but Nuba brand carob drink is being recalled for botulism. At present, it's only known to have been sold in Ontario, Quebec and NS.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/nuba-brand-carob-drink-recalled-due-potential-presence-dangerous-bacteria?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't get over it.  This kind of post, in this case from the Canadian government agency, appears over and over.  

Hello,
Here are new and/or updated Recalls and alerts that match your subscription settings:

Liesse Chocolatier brand Vegan Chocolate Bunnies recalled due to undeclared milk (new)
Product: Vegan Chocolate Bunnies
Issue: Milk
Audience: Retail

Why?  Why?  They are selling a vegan product and they've put milk into it?  Is someone careless?  Do they hope to get away with it?  

What  is going on?  No need to reply I guess...just ranting...

• Confused 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

I just can't get over it.  This kind of post, in this case from the Canadian government agency, appears over and over.  

Hello,
Here are new and/or updated Recalls and alerts that match your subscription settings:

Liesse Chocolatier brand Vegan Chocolate Bunnies recalled due to undeclared milk (new)
Product: Vegan Chocolate Bunnies
Issue: Milk
Audience: Retail

Why?  Why?  They are selling a vegan product and they've put milk into it?  Is someone careless?  Do they hope to get away with it?  

What  is going on?  No need to reply I guess...just ranting...

Likely contamination from tempering machines that handle milk chocolate too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are a LOT of alerts on the list for undeclared allergens. I generally only post the ones that involve food safety in the classic sense (pathogens, foreign matter, etc), but the allergen ones come up a lot more frequently.