• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

I've recently signed onto a new Canadian government website: Your latest Recalls and Safety Alerts from the Government of Canada.  Every day there is something.  This morning its undeclared gluten and wheat from a vegetarian ham product.  Every single day there is something.  It's almost unreal.  

And now palo posted about cleaning solution inadvertently put into juice pouches.  Sure glad it was 'inadvertent'.  

You really have to wonder why...  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here.

Not quite a recall yet as the health department is still trying to track down it’s origin but this poisoned about a dozen people in Toronto last Friday. 

• Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, palo said:

Sort of like a food "place" recall - I hear they are re-opening tomorrow - I wonder if you will need reservations or have to book ahead to get a table? :( :( :(

p

It is unfortunate. The restaurant is very popular. As I understand it the culprit was a seasoning medley and not poor restaurant practises. A similar thing occurred in B.C. In March. Here.

It will be interesting to see if the Toronto/Markham medley is the same. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This is what scares me about foraging. You are at the mercy of some guy who claims to know what he is doing.

This year we had an invasion of hemlock in the mid Atlantic. Toxic as hell. Was used to kill Socrates. New York state asks people to have the state take care of disposal. Its that bad. Looks like a nice salad green.

My field had about 20 plants.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

This is what scares me about foraging.

I don’t think this case had much to do with foraging. 
Health officials think they have tracked down the source of this poison. 
Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I don’t think this case had much to do with foraging. 
Health officials think they have tracked down the source of this poison. 
Here.

No, foraging wasn't involved in this case.

But somebody who thought they knew what they were doing put that stuff in the spices.

And that's what scares me about foraging. People who don't know what they don't know.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So Mr. Right was wrong?

Once the health department is through with him he might not even be a Mr.

My 2004 eG Blog

FoodSafetyNews has too many to post individually going back a couple pages. 

Monkshood is more that scary. I took mine out after Dad would take walks and bring in wildflowers for the kitchen table. At the base of the driveway he would grab a few monkshood being so pretty. I would cover the whole flower bunch with a grocery bag and take it to the garbage bin. I finally covered the entire plant with a big black 55gallon garbage bag, tied it at the base, and cut it with gloves on. The young plant before the flower heads develop, looks like frilly parsley. More like carrot tops. He thought I was being silly and alarmist. Andre Noble dies from monkshood Being early in the season he must have thought it was a wild salad green. 

• 2 weeks later...

And then I signed onto another American-based food safety information website: Food Safety News.   It's almost more than I can stand.  The endlessness of the contamination of foods around the world is staggering. 

And now, even that beloved American staple, Krispy Kreme, has been fined a huge penalty for a sharp metal piece found in a donut.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Let’s see – – what would you rather? A little foreign matter or a little friendly frog?

Here.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that Enoki mushrooms are contaminated more than their fair share of the time.  Here we go again.

You're not mistaken. I've become hesitant, nae make that very reluctant, to buy them anymore.

• Sad 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

9 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

You're not mistaken. I've become hesitant, nae make that very reluctant, to buy them anymore.

The only thing I can say is at least enoki mushrooms are not fundamental to our well-being nor widely used in North America.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

As noted above, I now get a daily American source, Food Safety News, and the levels of contaminated foods in the industries and the allowable levels of contamination are staggering.  Today's outdid them all so far:

Here's contaminated baby food.  How on earth this situation can be permitted to exist is really beyond me.  :angry::angry:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oyster lovers, several brands are being recalled for salmonella. At this point they're only *known* to have been sold in Quebec and Ontario, but they may have been distributed elsewhere.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/various-brands-oysters-recalled-oyster-kings-inc-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Sad 1