• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

Jif is our favorite brand.  Our jar was fine, but all of the jars we had stored at church for making lunches to take to homeless shelters were affected.  130 sandwiches were made and distributed on Saturday, May 21st.  By the time someone thought about it (there are 3 groups at our church who take turns on this project and it wasn't our groups turn), the trash had already gone, so we suspect, though can't be sure, that the PB used in those sandwiches were also from affected jars.  So far, no one has had any issues, but it is a real nightmare scenario.  

• Sad 6

Most will have very mild issues. A bit of stomach distress not worth noting. Some may have a 24 hour issue most call a 'bug'. Older generations call stomach issues and flu-like symptoms a 'bug' that should pass after a day or two. Intense symptoms should seek urgent care for dehydration. --puking water is a good sign to get help. 

• Thanks 1

Live spot prawns sold by Tri-Star Seafood Supply (sold from BC to Ontario, and possibly redistributed elsewhere) have been recalled for norovirus.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-tri-star-seafood-supply-ltd-brand-live-spot-prawns-recalled-due-norovirus?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 3 weeks later...

Specific Revive Superfoods smoothies and oats products are being recalled nationally, because they contain raspberries that may have been contaminated with norovirus.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-revive-superfoods-brand-smoothies-and-oats-recalled-due-possible-norovirus?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Not one of our usual food recalls, but the recall of several Abbott-brand infant formulas (cronobacter, salmonella) has been extended to Canada. I think most of us here are past that life stage, but y'know...friends, family, grandkids...

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-abbott-brand-powdered-infant-formula-products-recalled-due-possible?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Sad 1

This is in the US, not Canada, but I hadn't seen anything on it until today. I don't know if anyone here subscribes to Daily Harvest (not a lot of meal-kit users, I think) but this is potentially life-threatening:

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1106650999/daily-harvest-lentils-leek-food-poisoning-recall-instagram-statement

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

This is in the US, not Canada, but I hadn't seen anything on it until today. I don't know if anyone here subscribes to Daily Harvest (not a lot of meal-kit users, I think) but this is potentially life-threatening:

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/1106650999/daily-harvest-lentils-leek-food-poisoning-recall-instagram-statement

I saw that yesterday. Disturbing. Who the hell does not test taste a batch. Must be many consumers purchasing? I did not go deep but could not find the recipe. WTF. I have issues with whole fresh un-cooked diets. I think it is called the raw diet. No heat whatsoever. Freak out if something is toasted or heated. 

Lectin is toxic. Soaking or heat removes it. I recall wondering about falafel that uses just soaked garbanzos, but soaking overnight softens and removes lectin. Sure falafel is fried or roasted but the interior can be a bit toothy and raw-ish. 

All the recent re-calls on seed and spices I toast them always. 

This is when social media works--days/weeks ahead of FDA investigations. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those among us who eat gluten-free or have family members who do, several Enjoy Life cookies, breakfast bars etc have been recalled due to foreign material (plastic) in the food.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-enjoy-life-brand-bakery-products-recalled-due-possible-presence-pieces-plastic?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

• Thanks 1

King oyster mushrooms from TWA Fungi are being recalled for listeria. They're only known to have been sold in BC at this point, but may have been redistributed elsewhere.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/twa-fungi-brand-king-oyster-mushroom-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

According to the NY Times Big Olaf Creamery of Florida has recommended retailers stop selling its product after the ice cream was linked to a listeria outbreak that has killed one and sickened twenty two.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Unbranded enoki mushrooms sold in BC and Manitoba have been recalled for listeria. This is an odd one because they haven't yet posted what channels it was sold through, so if you've bought any recently maybe just look at the picture.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/enoki-mushroom-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

This is not a food recall as such, but it's at least food-adjacent so I'm going to post it. If anyone here takes magnesium citrate for (ahem) digestive difficulties, be aware that the Equate brand (Walmart), Life brand (Shoppers) and Personelle brand (Jean Coutu) have been recalled for bacterial contamination.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/magnesium-citrate-oral-solution-microbial-contamination?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

14 hours ago, chromedome said:

This is not a food recall as such, but it's at least food-adjacent so I'm going to post it. If anyone here takes magnesium citrate for (ahem) digestive difficulties, be aware that the Equate brand (Walmart), Life brand (Shoppers) and Personelle brand (Jean Coutu) have been recalled for bacterial contamination.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/magnesium-citrate-oral-solution-microbial-contamination?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23&

I wonder if the bacteria might cause diarrhea?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• Confused 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 7/30/2022 at 8:08 AM, Darienne said:

What I find interesting is there is no allergy statement at all on their label - Bechmel sauce, Parmesan cheese, pasta, tomato sauce and ground veal. I thought our labelling laws were a little stricter than that. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, palo said:

I wonder...from what percentage to what percentage???  How many illnesses and deaths are permissible per year?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, palo said:

Dill pickle vodka recalled in Ontario due to 'pieces of glass

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/dill-pickle-vodka-recalled-in-ontario-due-to-pieces-of-glass-1.6011476

I didn't even know there was such a thing???

Well, not really sad...but it's almost beyond belief.   Almost...but not quite.

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Thanks 1