• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

"Tyson Foods Inc. Recalls Ready-To-Eat Chicken Products Due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

Tyson Foods Inc., a Dexter, Mo. establishment, is recalling approximately 8,492,832 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen, fully cooked chicken products were produced between December 26, 2020 and April 13, 2021...

See the article for links to product listing and label views.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ontario only, UnjhaSpice brand of cumin powder, for potential salmonella contamination.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-11/eng/1626051919317/1626051925230?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

"Muffins sold nationwide recalled for listeria concerns"

Consumers are being urged to immediately dispose of and not eat a total of 26 muffin products that had been available for purchase at 7-Eleven, Stop & Shop and all Walmart stores and Sam's Clubs. 

There is a link in the article that shows specific brands/products being recalled.

Tim Oliver

Cahill brand Irish Porter cheese is being recalled for Listeria, affects Ontario and points east.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-23/eng/1627105017346/1627105022827?utm_source=r_listserv

Also there's an update on the previous halva recall for salmonella.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-23/eng/1627102160740/1627102166413?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Harvest Fresh zucchini spirals are being recalled for possible listeria. The recall only affects Ontario (so far) but since many of our Canadian eG'ers are residents of that province it seemed worth a share.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-25/eng/1627223862593/1627223863422?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

Carrots!

"Grimmway Farms Voluntarily Recalls Certain Retail-Packaged Carrots Due to Potential Salmonella Contamination"

Grimmway Farms has voluntarily issued a recall of certain carrot products because they may have been contaminated with Salmonella.

“The recall was initiated as a result of a routine, internal company test, said Grimmway Farms President and CEO Jeff Huckaby. 

There's a short list at the bottom of the recall article of products being recalled.

Tim Oliver

Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Ranch Seasoning is being recalled by McCormick's and the CFIA because of potential salmonella contamination. "Possibly national."

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-27/eng/1627415297823/1627415303540?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Also recalled by McCormick:

McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning 1.31-ounce bottle

• UPC: 052100049731
  • McCormick item number: 901582629
  • Affected date codes: MAY 26 24 K, MAY 27 24 K, JUN 04 24 K, JUN 05 24 K

McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning 2.25-ounce bottle

• UPC: 052100038254
  • McCormick item number: 901455463
  • Affected date codes: JUN 30 24 H, JUL 01 24 H

McCormick Culinary Italian Seasoning 1.75-pound bottle

• UPC: 52100325743
  • McCormick item number: 932574
  • Affected date code: Jun 12 24 

USA Today article

• Like 1

Here's one we don't see very often. Nature's Touch frozen mangoes are being recalled (probably national) for Hepatitis A.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-30/eng/1627691106085/1627691112044?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Two notices this morning...

"Greater Omaha Packing Recalls Raw Beef Products Due to Possible E. Coli O157:H7 Contamination"

Greater Omaha Packing, an Omaha, Neb. establishment, is recalling approximately 295,236 pounds of raw beef products intended for non-intact use that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The raw beef products intended for non-intact use were produced on July 13, 2021. The complete list of products and product codes for the beef products that are subject to recall can be found here.

Regarding this next recall, the government hasn't been able to trace the specific source, yet:

"E. coli Outbreak Linked to Cake Mix"

Sick people in this outbreak reported tasting or eating raw cake batter made from a variety of cake mixes. A single brand or type of cake mix has not been linked to the illnesses.

Seventy-five percent of sick people are children under the age of 18. Children are more likely to have a severe E. coli infection.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"Blount Fine Foods Corp. Recalls Chicken Soup Products Due To Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Blount Fine Foods, a McKinney, Texas establishment, is recalling approximately 6,384 pounds of chicken tortilla soup products that may be contaminated with extraneous material, specifically pieces of gray nitrile glove, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Specific product(s) impacted are listed in the article.

Tim Oliver

More chicken, different brand...

"Serenade Foods Recalls Frozen Raw Breaded Stuffed Chicken Products due to Possible Salmonella Enteritidis Contamination"

Serenade Foods...is recalling approximately 59,251 pounds of frozen, raw, breaded and pre-browned stuffed chicken products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. FSIS issued a public health alert on June 2, 2021 related to these products.

Edited to add:  Just saw on CNN's web site that these chicken products were sold at Aldi's.

Edited by Toliver
To add more info (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

Sold at Whole Foods, Meijer and Food Lion and other supermarkets...

"Avanti Frozen Foods Expands Recall of Frozen Cooked Shrimp Because of Possible Health Risk"

Avanti Frozen Foods Pvt. Ltd, is voluntarily expanding a prior recall issued on June 25,2021 to include certain consignments of various sizes of frozen cooked, peeled, deveined, shrimp (with some packaged with cocktail sauce) sold in various unit sizes, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The frozen shrimp products were distributed nationwide from November 2020 to May 2021.

Sold under different brand names, the recall article has a long list of impacted products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Hamburger and Hot Dog buns this time...
"Voluntary Recall of Hostess® Hamburger Buns & Hot Dog Buns Due to Possible Health Risks"

Hostess Brands, LLC (“Hostess Brands”) is voluntarily recalling certain Hostess® Soft White Hamburger Buns and Soft White Hot Dog Buns due to the potential for the products to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella. Hostess Brands is recalling the impacted products out of an abundance of caution after becoming aware of this issue from its co-manufacturer, Best Harvest Bakeries, through Best Harvest Bakeries’ environmental monitoring program. To date, Hostess Brands has received no reports of illness related to this issue.

Batch numbers and dates are listed in the original linked-to article.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

FreshLine brand zucchini "noodles" are being recalled for possible listeria; currently Ontario, Quebec and NS but possibly national.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-08-20/eng/1629518566353/1629518572200?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the Eat Smart chopped salad kits ("Asian Sesame") is being recalled for possible listeria contamination. Ontario, "possibly national."

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-08-24/eng/1629851411200/1629851416874?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, Toliver said:

Sold at Whole Foods, Meijer and Food Lion and other supermarkets...

"Avanti Frozen Foods Expands Recall of Frozen Cooked Shrimp Because of Possible Health Risk"

Sold under different brand names, the recall article has a long list of impacted products.

An argument in favor of sous vide for shrimp.  A safe internal temp is guaranteed without risk of overcooking

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

An argument in favor of sous vide for shrimp.  A safe internal temp is guaranteed without risk of overcooking

One of my coworkers just suffered food poisoning from shrimp.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

31 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Uggh

what kind of shrimp dish?

What kind of food poisoning?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog