• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

On 3/22/2021 at 9:55 PM, palo said:

There has been numerous mentions of e-coli contaminations of leafy greens like romaine in the last few years. Came across this story recently and thought it might be of interest to some.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/marketplace/marketplace-lettuce-contamination-1.5952161

Interesting read and obviously very sad.

Having said that and read the article, I feel I'm in the majority who will continue to buy and use leafy greens.

p

One issue not mentioned here and one that I remember reading about some years ago...is that of the buffer zones around the fields of grown greens actually being cleared and denuded of all greenery, so that the contaminated 'winds' could blow straight from the cows' fields into the planted fields.  

• Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This one's Ontario only, but it's botulism: Kolapore Springs brand smoked trout products.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-26/eng/1616817283977/1616817313215?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"Sabra Hummus Recalled Over Salmonella Risk: How to Check If You're Affected"

Sabra has issued a voluntary recall of some of its Classic Hummus packages over a possible salmonella risk, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced Monday.

The voluntary recall affects approximately 2,100 cases of its 10-ounce Classic Hummus, after a routine screening from the FDA discovered a potential risk within a single tub of the product. So far, there have been no reported cases of illness or consumer complaints related to the recall, the agency said.

The Classic Hummus tubs were distributed to Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Indiana, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

The highlights of states impacted by the recall are from me.

See the article for specific hummus product info.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Just Oregon, I believe:

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Raw Ground Chorizo Sausage Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

The fresh and frozen raw ground chorizo sausage items were produced on March 8, 2021 by Century Oak Packing Company, an establishment in Mt. Angel, Ore. The following product is subject to the public health alert:

1-lb. packages containing “Lonely Lane Farms Family Farm Since 1939 OREGON RAISED Chorizo Sausage” and product ID 21067-6.
The products bear establishment number “EST. M40256” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were sold at a farmer’s market and also shipped to retail locations in Oregon.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Raw Ground Turkey Products Linked to Salmonella Hadar Illness"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for approximately 211,406 pounds of raw ground turkey products, produced by Plainville Brands, LLC, a Pennsylvania establishment, due to concerns the products may have caused Salmonella Hadar illness. A recall was not requested because it is believed that the products are no longer available for consumers to purchase.

FSIS is concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers’ freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. Retail locations that may receive returned product from consumers should destroy this product immediately.

Specific product codes, etc., are listed in the article.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

In Canada:

"Olymel S.E.C./L.P. Recalls Ready-to-Eat Ham Products Due to Possible Salmonella Enteritidis Contamination"

Olymel S.E.C./L.P., a Quebec, Canada establishment, is recalling approximately 6,804 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) ham products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Enteritidis, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The ham items were packaged on November 5, 2020...

There's a link in the second paragraph that will reveal the product label.

The article contains product specifics info.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

"JBS USA Food Company Recalls Imported Boneless Beef Products Due to Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination"

JBS USA Food Company, a Greeley, Colo. firm and Importer of Record, is recalling approximately 4,860 pounds of imported boneless beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The raw, frozen, boneless beef products were imported on or around Nov. 10, 2020 and distributed for further processing. The following products are subject to recall [View Label (PDF Only)]:

60-lb. cardboard boxes containing “95CL BONELESS BEEF PRODUCT OF AUSTRALIA” with “PACKED ON: 02-SEP-20” and Australian “EST. 4” on the packaging label.
The products were shipped to distributors and further processors in New York and Pennsylvania.

Tim Oliver

"The FDA Is Recalling All Cases of These [Enoki] Mushrooms"

Twice this week, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has called out two brands of the stringy, Q-tip-like Enoki mushroom for concerns of Listeria monocytogenes...

The FDA has specifically mentioned Guan's Mushroom Company of Commerce, California (product of China) and Gold Medal Mushroom Company of Los Angeles (product of Korea) as the two brands to beware of...

The FDA states both companies' mushrooms come in 200-gram units and may have been distributed from any of the following states: California, Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and Texas.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

Not a food recall, as such, but food-adjacent: three lines of vitamins/supplements, from the same manufacturer, are being recalled for possibly containing fragments of wire.

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2021/75447a-eng.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

"More Than Gourmet, Inc. Recalls Beef And Veal Broth And Stock Products Due To Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

More Than Gourmet, Inc., an Akron, Ohio establishment, is recalling approximately 6,896 pounds of ready-to-eat beef and veal broth and stock products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically hydraulic oil, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Check the article for specific product/code information.

Tim Oliver

Sold at Costco, possible source of botulism:

"Faribault Foods, Inc. Announces Voluntary Recall of a Limited Quantity of S&W Brand Organic Black Beans, and O Organic Brand Black Beans and O Organic Brand Chili Beans due to Compromised Hermetic Seal "

Product specifics and product codes can be seen at the press release linked to in the article above.

• Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone here buys this kind of thing, but some "Big Carrot" brand juices are being recalled in Ontario because they potentially contain...glass.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-05-06/eng/1620352012624/1620352018407?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

Possibly national, Golden Mushroom brand enoki, any date code prior to May 7, for possible listeria.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-05-07/eng/1620439193668/1620439199451?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a recall for BC and Quebec (so far) on one particular brand of Taleggio, for listeria.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-05-12/eng/1620873492820/1620873499288?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

Canadian peeps, if you've bought enoki mushrooms from Metro lately check them against this alert (Listeria).

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-05-15/eng/1621108438423/1621108444577?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

When is a recall not a recall? 

When they know there's a problem but haven't nailed down the specifics as to who's selling the bad products whatever they may be.

They do mention the US State of Minnesota where the illness cases have been occurring:

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Frozen Raw Breaded Stuffed Chicken Products Due to Possible Salmonella Contamination"

As part of the investigation, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture collected frozen, raw, breaded, stuffed chicken products from a retail store for testing. The raw product samples tested positive for the outbreak strain of Salmonella Enteritidis. At this time, the production lots tested in Minnesota are not known to have been purchased by any of the case patients. FSIS has not received any purchase documentation, shopper records, or other traceable information at this time. Therefore, FSIS does not have the necessary information to request a recall. FSIS will continue to evaluate any new illness or traceable information as it becomes available. The investigation is ongoing, and FSIS continues to work with the CDC and state partners.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Al-Rabih brand tahini, possibly national (for sure, Ontario and Quebec) for salmonella.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-06-14/eng/1623717905250/1623717911599?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mmm, plastic (Don Lee Green Chili Shredded Chicken & Rice Cauliflower Bowls, at Costco)

And these recalls were issued by Costco last week: 

Clio Snacks Greek Yogurt items

Organic Dark Chocolate Blueberries

Tin Star Foods Ghee

Organic Black Beans

Vitafusion Fiber Well and Sleepwell Gummies

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a recall in Canada of Dole brand blueberrries, for cyclospora contamination. At present it's only for certain batches sold at Save-On-Foods, but it could expand to other retailers and a national footprint in future:

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-06-25/eng/1624661149420/1624661155154?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plain halva, al-Rabih brand, for possible salmonella contamination. Currently affects Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, but "possibly national."

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-06-25/eng/1624661149420/1624661155154?utm_source=r_listserv

"Avanti Frozen Foods Recalls Frozen Cooked Shrimp Because of Possible Health Risk"

Avanti Frozen Foods Pvt. Ltd, with an abundance of caution, is recalling certain consignments of various sizes of frozen cooked, peeled, deveined, shrimp (with some packaged with cocktail sauce) sold in various unit sizes, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The frozen shrimp products were distributed nationwide from late December 2020 to late February 2021.

See the linked-to article for product specifics.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 6/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, chromedome said:

Plain halva, al-Rabih brand, for possible salmonella contamination. Currently affects Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, but "possibly national."

This one has been updated, and now includes halva with pistachios from the same company.

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-07-05/eng/1625521520812/1625521521578?utm_source=r_listserv

Edited by chromedome (log)