• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

"Weis Markets Issues Recall for Possible Foreign Matter Contamination in Weis Ice Cream Products"

Weis Markets today said it has issued a recall for:
• 10,869 containers of Weis Quality Cookies and Cream Ice Cream (48 oz.), and
• 502 bulk containers of Klein’s Vanilla Dairy Ice Cream (3 gallon)
because the products may be contaminated with extraneous material, specifically metal filling equipment parts. There has been one report of a customer who discovered an intact piece of metal equipment in the Weis Quality Cookies and Cream Ice Cream (48 oz). There is concern of an additional piece of equipment present in the ice cream product(s) possibly presenting a choking hazard.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Harvest Brand Polish sausages sold from BC to Ontario have been recalled because of undercooking.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/eng/1610661955953/1610661960835?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Two to post...The first one's link to the USDA web site was basically an error so I have the Fox News article on it instead.

"Select pepperoni Hot Pockets recalled over complaints of glass, plastic in product"

Nestle Prepared Foods is calling back more than 762,000 pounds of pepperoni Hot Pockets after consumers complained of finding pieces of glass or plastic in the product. At least one instance resulted in a minor oral injury, according to a recall notice posted on the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service website.

Codes and product descriptions are in the article.

"Potential Foreign Object Recall Lake Champlain Chocolates Issues Voluntary Recall on Selected Milk Chocolate Products"

Lake Champlain Chocolates (LCC) is issuing a public alert and a voluntary recall on select LCC milk chocolate products from a determined best-by date range for potential foreign objects. LCC is issuing this recall after a consumer reported finding brittle plastic pieces in a finished product. After initial investigations and out of an abundance of caution, LCC is voluntarily recalling all potential affected product currently on the market from July 2020 through January 2021. To date, no consumers have reported adverse health effects due to this contamination.

Specific products impacted are listed on the USDA web site.

Tim Oliver

33 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I wonder how many boxes of chocolates purchased on July 2020 are still in existence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Bob Evans Farms Inc. Recalls Pork Sausage Product Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Bob Evans Farms, Inc. (“Bob Evans”), a Xenia, Ohio establishment, is recalling approximately 4,200 pounds of pork sausage product that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically thin blue rubber...

Product specifics are in the article.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

Several flavors of Clover Leaf brand boneless sardine fillets are being recalled for "dangerous bacteria," ie they haven't narrowed it down yet but they know something's wrong. Possibly (probably!) national.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-01-22/eng/1611358226922/1611358231893?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, chromedome said:

Several flavors of Clover Leaf brand boneless sardine fillets are being recalled for "dangerous bacteria," ie they haven't narrowed it down yet but they know something's wrong. Possibly (probably!) national.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-01-22/eng/1611358226922/1611358231893?utm_source=r_listserv

Update: News reports this morning say it's C. botulinum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Update: News reports this morning say it's C. botulinum.

Glad to say it's not Ed's brand of sardine.  Nor the dogs'. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Glad to say it's not Ed's brand of sardine.  Nor the dogs'. 

Nor mine. I typically support the local team and buy Brunswick brand, HQ'd a few km west of here in Black's Harbour. Occasionally I'll buy the NS-based Kersten brand at Costco, though I find those less flavorful (my dogs are less critical). Hmmm. Haven't treated the mutts to sardines for a few months, might have to do that again sometime soon.

• Like 3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is not food, strictly speaking, but I'll post it anyway. A number of Isagenix "wellness" products, mostly shakes and bars, are being recalled for over-fortification with vitamins. That's not one we see every day, but as we all know an excess of fat-soluble vitamins can have rather nasty repercussions.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-01-29/eng/1611979385715/1611979390681?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BC peeps, if you've recently purchased any One Ocean brand sliced smoked salmon, check the dates. It's recalled for listeria. 

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-02-10/eng/1613010591343/1613010596418?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

From the FDA & CDC:

"Outbreak Investigation of Listeria monocytogenes – Hispanic-style Fresh and Soft Cheeses (February 2021)"

and, because they're not afraid to name the types of cheeses not mentioned above:

"The FDA Is Investigating A Listeria Outbreak That May Be Linked To Cheeses Like Queso Fresco"

There is no brand or type of cheese that has been determined as the source, but the investigation is looking into queso fresco, queso blanco, and queso panela. Seven people have been hospitalized with Listeria symptoms across Connecticut, Maryland, New York, and Virginia.

The font bolding is mine.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

8 hours ago, Toliver said:

From the FDA & CDC:

"Outbreak Investigation of Listeria monocytogenes – Hispanic-style Fresh and Soft Cheeses (February 2021)"

and, because they're not afraid to name the types of cheeses not mentioned above:

"The FDA Is Investigating A Listeria Outbreak That May Be Linked To Cheeses Like Queso Fresco"

Thank you.  I'm in VA and I've put it on FB to inform my friends!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, Toliver said:

From the FDA & CDC:

A follow-up to this recall.

They have named the cheese and the company (East Coast brand I believe):

"Listeria Outbreak Linked to Queso Fresco Made by El Abuelito Cheese Inc."

Queso Fresco with sell-buy dates through 03/28/21
Brand names: El Abuelito, Rio Grande, Rio Lindo
The El Abuelito brand 5-lb product may be repacked by stores and sold without a brand label or labeled with a different brand.
Quesillo (Oaxaca, string cheese) with sell-buy dates through 04/16/21
Brand names: El Abuelito, El Viejito, El Paisano, El Sabrosito, La Cima, Quesos Finos, San Carlos, Ideal
Many of the quesillo products were sold in bulk (5-14 lb bags). These products may be repacked by stores and sold without a brand label or labeled with a different brand.
Requeson (ricotta) with sell-buy dates through 03/14/21.

Brand names: El Abuelito, El Viejito
These products were sold in 12-oz clamshell containers.

Tim Oliver

A different recall, from the USDA:

"J&J Distributing Recalls Ready-to-Eat Meat and Poultry Salads and Wrap Products Due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

J&J Distributing, a St. Paul, Minn., establishment, is recalling approximately 33 pounds of ready-to-eat meat and poultry salads and wrap products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes (Lm), the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Granted it's not a huge amount of product being recalled, but it is due to Listeria so some serious stuff.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

This is right up there with the "contains peanuts" warning on the peanut butter jar, but Health Matters organic apricot kernels are being recalled for containing higher-than-usual levels of cyanide. I can only assume that most here know better, but...

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-11/eng/1615498625763/1615498631819?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 7:34 PM, chromedome said:

This is right up there with the "contains peanuts" warning on the peanut butter jar, but Health Matters organic apricot kernels are being recalled for containing higher-than-usual levels of cyanide. I can only assume that most here know better, but...

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-11/eng/1615498625763/1615498631819?utm_source=r_listserv

I'm assuming this one is related to the previous one in some fashion...

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-16/eng/1615926621138/1615926621574?utm_source=r_listserv

Not a recall as yet, but definitely worth knowing (especially if anyone you know is into the "alkaline" fad):

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/complaints-mount-after-5-kids-suffer-liver-failure-linked-to-alkaline-water/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, yet another update on the apricot kernel recall. Spoiler: Willfully consuming cyanide may have a negative impact on your health. Who knew?

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-19/eng/1616214896326/1616214902366?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Also, yet another update on the apricot kernel recall. Spoiler: Willfully consuming cyanide may have a negative impact on your health. Who knew?

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-03-19/eng/1616214896326/1616214902366?utm_source=r_listserv

People eat apricot kernels?  Why?  Or should I ask?

ps.  Added:  looked it up.  Tried to delete the above post, but apparently couldn't. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

People eat apricot kernels?  Why?  Or should I ask?

There's been a thing for years about eating them to self-treat for cancer and a variety of other health issues (remember laetrile?). It's BS, of course, but the health/wellness field contains many similarly durable pieces of egregious foolishness.

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

There's been a thing for years about eating them to self-treat for cancer and a variety of other health issues (remember laetrile?). It's BS, of course, but the health/wellness field contains many similarly durable pieces of egregious foolishness.

Ya think?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There has been numerous mentions of e-coli contaminations of leafy greens like romaine in the last few years. Came across this story recently and thought it might be of interest to some.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/marketplace/marketplace-lettuce-contamination-1.5952161

Interesting read and obviously very sad.

Having said that and read the article, I feel I'm in the majority who will continue to buy and use leafy greens.

p

• Like 2