• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

Two recalls:

"These Chips at Aldi are Being Recalled"

The Seneca Cinnamon Apple Chips and Clancy's Cinnamon Apple Chips sold at Aldi and on Amazon are part of a new recall because of possible Salmonella contamination, according to the FDA.

There's a link in that first paragraph that takes you to the FDA's web page about the recall.

"Fruit recall: Watermelon, apples, other produce sold at Walmart stores in 9 states recalled for listeria risk"

Several types of fresh cut fruit sold at Walmart stores in nine states are being recalled for possible listeria contamination.

In a recall notice posted on the Food and Drug Administration website Saturday, Country Fresh said expanded its voluntary recall issued the day before to include various containers of Freshness Guaranteed-brand cut or sliced apples, grapes, mangos, pineapples and cantaloupe distributed by Walmart.

"The recall is a precautionary measure due to a possible health risk from Listeria monocytogenes detected on equipment used in an area near where these products are packed," Country Fresh said in the recall notice. "FDA discovered these findings during a recent inspection."

Again, there's a link in the 2nd paragraph which takes you to the FDA's web site regarding the recall.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Ready-To-Eat Meat and Poultry Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for ready-to-eat (RTE) meat and poultry bowl products, due to concerns that the products may be contaminated with extraneous material, specifically glass. FSIS is issuing this public health alert out of the utmost of caution to ensure that consumers are aware that these products should not be consumed.  A recall was not requested because it is believed that the products are no longer available for consumers to purchase.

The ready-to-eat meat and poultry items for this public health alert were produced by Taylor Farms in Dallas, Texas on Oct 5 and Oct 6, 2020.

See the article for specific brands and codes.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possible foreign matter (pieces of glass!) in certain batches of Miss Vickie's potato chips.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-03/eng/1604456061321/1604456069989?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Chicken and Pork Tamales Containing FDA-Regulated Diced Tomatoes in Puree That Have Been Recalled Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken and pork tamale products containing Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated diced tomatoes in puree that have been recalled by the producer, due to concerns that the products may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically hard plastic. The hard plastic may pose a choking hazard or cause damage to teeth or gums. FSIS is issuing this public health alert out of the utmost of caution to ensure that consumers are aware that these products, which bear the USDA mark of inspection, should not be consumed.

The frozen RTE chicken and pork tamale items were produced between Oct. 22, 2020 and Nov. 9, 2020 by Tucson Tamale Wholesale Co. LLC, an establishment in Tucson, Ariz.

Specific products impacted all have "Tucson" in the name and are listed in the article.

Tim Oliver

Some batches of Sobeys' "Compliments" brand smoked beef pastrami are being recalled for possible listeria. Currently listed as NS, Ontario and "possibly national."

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-22/eng/1606105850558/1606105856067?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

It's really generous of CD to tell  us about food recalls in Canada, but the number of recalls and warnings are growing rapidly and I would urge any Canadian eGer's to subscribe to the service themselves.  CD can't possibly cover each and every one for us and it's so bother to check in our own email service daily.   Here's the sign-up website: 

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-cfia/newsroom/email-notification/eng/1481653931267/1481654078038

I am grateful to you, CD, for putting me onto this service and for all the postings that you have done.  Darienne

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

14 minutes ago, Darienne said:

CD can't possibly cover each and every one for us and it's so bother to check in our own email service daily.   Here's the sign-up website: 

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-cfia/newsroom/email-notification/eng/1481653931267/1481654078038

Yeah, that. As I explained somewhere upthread a year or more ago, I'm not bothering to post the ones that are allergen-specific or lack wide applicability (a recall by one small producer, confined to a specific region of Nova Scotia - to pick a random example - wouldn't apply to most here).

Dole organic romaine lettuce hearts

The impacted products were distributed in Arizona, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota and Virginia, and were harvested and packed nearly four weeks ago, so they should no longer be on store shelves.

"The products being recalled are Dole Organic Romaine Hearts 3pk (UPC 0-71430-90061-1), combined English/French packaging, with Harvested-On dates of 10-23-20 and 10-26-20, and Wild Harvest Organic Romaine Hearts (UPC 7-11535-50201-2), with Harvested-On dates of 10-23-20 and 10-26-20," the release said.

The recall is due to an isolated instance in which a three-pack of Dole Organic Romaine Hearts tested positive for E. coli in a routine sample collected at a retail store by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• Like 1

Update to an earlier recall (which apparently I'd missed) specific to Ontario and Quebec: eggs from Les Oeufs Richard, for salmonella:

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-24/eng/1606254873300/1606254873675?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

I wouldn't normally bother to share this, because it's very geographically limited, but hey...botulism. PEI only, bottled (?) beef and chicken.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-26/eng/1606437567499/1606437572768?utm_source=r_listserv

Some current batches of Fresh Attitudes brand baby spinach are being recalled for possible salmonella contamination. Currently affects Ontario and Quebec.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-26/eng/1606439055882/1606439056179?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chromedome said:

Some current batches of Fresh Attitudes brand baby spinach are being recalled for possible salmonella contamination. Currently affects Ontario and Quebec.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-26/eng/1606439055882/1606439056179?utm_source=r_listserv

The baby spinach recall has been expanded and is now classed as "possibly national. Time to dig into your fridges...

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-11-27/eng/1606524017665/1606524017899?utm_source=r_listserv

• 2 weeks later...

Some batches of Compliments brand pastrami and Montreal smoked meat, also sold under the Leavitts and Deli Shop brand names, have been recalled for listeria. Possibly national in scope.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-12-07/eng/1607395348707/1607395354323?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Tesoros Trading Company Recalls Product Because of Possible Health Risk"

Tesoros Trading Co. from Las Vegas, NV is recalling certain codes of frozen “Trader Joe’s Lightly Salted Edamame” because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.

...The recalled "Trader Joe’s Lightly Salted Edamame” were sold at Trader Joe’s retail stores only in the Arizona, Southern California, Southern Nevada, and Utah regions. All affected product has been removed from sale and destroyed.

Products codes are on the USDA web site linked to above.

Tim Oliver

"Nestlé Prepared Foods Recalls Lean Cuisine Baked Chicken Meal Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Nestlé Prepared Foods, a Springville, Utah establishment, is recalling approximately 92,206 pounds of LEAN CUISINE Baked Chicken meal products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of white hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Product code/specifics are in the article.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Ontario only, Belle Grove whole white mushrooms are being recalled for potential botulism.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-01-08/eng/1610169805106/1610169810071?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Ontario only, Belle Grove whole white mushrooms are being recalled for potential botulism.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2021-01-08/eng/1610169805106/1610169810071?utm_source=r_listserv

This one gives me pause! These are fresh mushrooms?

Edited to add: Well apparently it’s quite possible. Click

Apparently my first link is not working properly so I offer another one that discusses mushrooms and botulism.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

This one gives me pause! These are fresh mushrooms?

Edited to add: Well apparently it’s quite possible. Click

Apparently my first link is not working properly so I offer another one that discusses mushrooms and botulism.

Not too surprised, honestly. As you're probably well aware, you can get spores with any product that touches the ground, and if you mix that with a tight plastic wrap and room temperature....

22 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

Not too surprised, honestly. As you're probably well aware, you can get spores with any product that touches the ground, and if you mix that with a tight plastic wrap and room temperature....

Indeed. It just was not very clear from the recall notice exactly what the problem might be. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog