• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

From the USDA:

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Meat and Poultry Taquitos and Chimichangas Containing FDA-Regulated Diced Green Chilies That Have Been Recalled Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for ready-to-eat (RTE) beef and chicken taquitos and chimichangas products containing Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated diced green chilies that have been recalled by the producer, Sun Valley Foods, due to concerns that the products may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically hard plastic. The hard plastic may pose a choking hazard or cause damage to teeth or gums. FSIS is issuing this public health alert out of the utmost of caution to ensure that consumers are aware that these products, which bear the USDA mark of inspection, should not be consumed. 

The article posts the specific products recalled.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am most hungry for onions and I have a lot that are about to rot.  As far as I can find online, Shoprite has not issued any onion recall, and Vidalia onions are protected by law to come from Georgia, not anywhere in California.  I am about to take the chance.   Should you never hear from me again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, lindag said:

I just got both one red and one white onion in my grocery order last Wednesday, do I need to toss them?

If it were me, I would check with the store where you bought them.

The onions that are available at my little Walmart are from a producer in New Mexico and have not been recalled.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am most hungry for onions and I have a lot that are about to rot.  As far as I can find online, Shoprite has not issued any onion recall, and Vidalia onions are protected by law to come from Georgia, not anywhere in California.  I am about to take the chance.   Should you never hear from me again.

I cooked and consumed a red onion last week (or the week before, time is just a concept now) that was purchased from ShopRite (prior to hearing of the recall) and no ill effects. 

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Well they told stepmom at Kroger that the ones they had were not in the recall. I bit my tongue. You are compromised, you are in a highly infected CV19 area. Ya gotta shut up at some point and mind your own biz.

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

If it were me, I would check with the store where you bought them.

The onions that are available at my little Walmart are from a producer in New Mexico and have not been recalled.

Thanks.  I just called and they told theirs come from Washington state so I’m okay.

• Like 2

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Ready to Eat Sausage Products due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert because Bluegrass Provisions Co., a Crescent Springs, Ky. establishment, produced sausage products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. A recall was not requested because it is believed that all products are no longer in commerce and are past their use or freeze by dates.

The article lists the products impacted by the recall.

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

Peaches and Aldi's:

"Outbreak Investigation of Salmonella Enteritidis: Bagged Peaches (August 2020)"

The FDA, along with CDC and state and local partners, is investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis infections potentially linked to bagged peaches sold at ALDI stores in multiple states.

The peaches are in Wawona-brand 2-pound, clear plastic bags sold in ALDI stores from June 1, 2020 until present. Based on information collected from ill persons, CDC has identified bagged peaches from ALDI stores as a likely source of Salmonella Enteritidis infections. As of August 19, 2020, CDC is reporting a total of 68 cases across 9 states.

Tim Oliver

Peaches from Fresno, CA this time. Like the onions they were sold into the institutional and retail markets, so watch for followup recalls as they're traced through the supply chain. Suspected to be national in scope.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-08-22/eng/1598036173176/1598036178515?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan: listeria in Brandt brand mini (spicy) cheese sausages.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-08-24/eng/1598291961021/1598291967015?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

BC and Ontario, Manila clams from Evergreen Seafoods, risk of paralytic shellfish poisoning. These were sold in bulk, so there's a high likelihood of followup recalls as they trace them through the food system.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-09-22/eng/1600812242248/1600812248453?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 2

Ontario only, some batches of Sunsprout brand sprouts and microgreens have been recalled for possible salmonella.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-09-22/eng/1600807598962/1600807605335?utm_source=r_listserv

30 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Ontario only, some batches of Sunsprout brand sprouts and microgreens have been recalled for possible salmonella.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-09-22/eng/1600807598962/1600807605335?utm_source=r_listserv

It may be my imagination, but it seems that bean  sprouts, which Ed buys regularly, are quite subject to recalls.   Which leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

11 hours ago, Darienne said:

It may be my imagination, but it seems that bean  sprouts, which Ed buys regularly, are quite subject to recalls.   Which leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling...

Makes me think you should grow your own. How difficult can it be? (No, I don't do it.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here in California alfalfa sprouts disappeared completely a few years ago, too many recall-type problems. I was buying them for fundraising sandwich making. I eat them if they're on something someone else prepared but I never buy them for myself so I don't know if they ever came back onto the market. 

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

23 hours ago, Darienne said:

It's not your imagination. It's an unavoidable truth that the conditions required to help 'em sprout (ie, warmth and moisture) also favor bacterial growth.

• Sad 2

On 9/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, chromedome said:

BC and Ontario, Manila clams from Evergreen Seafoods, risk of paralytic shellfish poisoning. These were sold in bulk, so there's a high likelihood of followup recalls as they trace them through the food system.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-09-22/eng/1600812242248/1600812248453?utm_source=r_listserv

This recall has been updated and is now "possibly national."

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-09-24/eng/1600987173845/1600987179781?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2