• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I'm just getting over a bout of food poisoning and I'm so afraid to eat anything right now. Thanks for the updates.

• Sad 2

"White Castle recalls frozen burgers over listeria fears"

White Castle is recalling some of its frozen burgers due to possible listeria contamination after finding the bacteria in one of its manufacturing plants. 

The recall by the fast-food chain involves specific lots of frozen six-pack cheeseburgers, hamburgers and jalapeno cheeseburgers, as well as frozen 16-pack hamburgers and cheeseburgers, according to a notice posted Friday by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The products being recalled all have best-by dates ranging from Aug. 4, 2020, to Aug. 17, 2020, the company said.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"Ruiz Food Products, Inc. Recalls Frozen Sausage Breakfast Burrito Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Ruiz Food Products Inc., a Florence, S.C. establishment, is recalling approximately 55,013 pounds of frozen, not ready-to-eat (NRTE) breakfast burrito products containing eggs, sausage, and cheese that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The frozen, NRTE breakfast burrito products were produced on October 15, 2019. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]  

3.38-lb. Value Pack, containing 12 individually wrapped, 4.5-oz. “EL MONTEREY Signature BURRITO EGG, SAUSAGE & CHEESE” with a “Best if Used By” date of 01/15/2021 and a lot code of 19288.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST 45694” printed on the value pack bag and the individual wrappings, next to the lot code. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.                              

The problem was discovered when the firm notified FSIS of three consumer complaints involving pieces of white, semi-rigid plastic found in the product.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

Monday I attended a Pot Luck lunch and there was a cranberry crusted cheese log...I had a bit...I guess we didn't have plastic in ours...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Spoke to a friend on the phone this morning and they had been eating Salinas lettuce  all last week and are fine. (I wouldn't have done it.)  And later in our local library, the librarian told me she has a friend who had eaten some of the same brand without knowing of the problem and she has been ill for days. 

But then I have friends who still feed their dogs treats made in China....

• Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Caught something on TV last night about peeled, boiled eggs being recalled.

Not that I think anyone in this group would purchase pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs. The first time I saw them, I stood in wonder for some time. People BUY those? People don't know how to boil eggs?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, kayb said:

Not that I think anyone in this group would purchase pre-boiled, pre-peeled eggs. The first time I saw them, I stood in wonder for some time. People BUY those? People don't know how to boil eggs?

I thought the same thing.  Then I remembered that when making a big batch of devilled eggs it can be a mess when the eggs don't peel nicely.  For some this could be an easy solution.

11 minutes ago, kayb said:

I bought them last year when I was staying in a hotel w/kitchenette (fridge, microwave, dishwasher) with my cousin who was receiving out-patient treatment at MD Anderson.  They were a handy source of protein that I was able to include in her meals - mine, too!

• Like 2

Boiled and peeled are useful in some commercial situations. Also, my last year of doing my spring ren faire I was short-staffed so I purchased pre-done eggs so we could still have deviled eggs on Sunday.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 12/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, kayb said:

As observed above, very handy in foodservice. In Edmonton I sometimes oversaw production of (ie, did not make myself...) 400+ egg salad sandwiches in a day, plus more for other purposes. Doing that with shell eggs is just not cost-effective due to labor, wastage, use of limited cooking spaces and suchlike.

You want to make sure you're rotating your stock and dating the buckets when they're opened, but we definitely had sufficient volume that their age never became an issue.

• Like 2

Re: bulk egg prep like egg salad, etc. -- the Instant Pot groups on FB recommend cracking the desired number of eggs into a bowl and steaming them, P in P, to the "hard-boiled" stage, then chopping and using as usual. Seems to me that'd be a reasonable procedure. Obviously wouldn't work for deviled eggs.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

"Botulism suspected in Argentina, confirmed in Iceland"    Item  a brand of PICKLED WILD BOAR

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Thank you as always, CD.  It's always good to find out that the UPC code of the possible salmonella sprouts doesn't match the one you have in the fridge.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oysters from BC's Sawmill Bay Shellfish, recalled for norovirus. Affects BC and Alberta.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-02-21/eng/1582331627441/1582331632510?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aqua Okeano/Seven Baskets fish balls, possibly national (at least On/Que), because of botulism.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-02-25/eng/1582678216429/1582678216779?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you in Ontario, Luigi Guffanti "1876" brand of DOP raw-milk Taleggio has been recalled for possible presence of E. coli.

https://inspection.gc.ca/food-recall-warnings-and-allergy-alerts/2020-03-10/eng/1583879251581/1583879257382?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1