• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

22 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

This is not the first time Salinas had this issue. I wonder if it's the same grower...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It starts: The CFIA's first salad/E. coli recall has been issued, for a handful of Bonduelle brand salads containing chicken or turkey. NB, Ontario, Quebec, possibly national.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-22/eng/1574484580118/1574484580525?utm_source=r_listserv

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Salinas lettuce in Canada may have been imported to Canada, though no e coli outbreak showing up yet. 

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has confirmed that romaine lettuce from the affected areas reported in the U.S. investigation is imported to Canada at this time of year. The CFIA says it has taken measures to protect consumers and is implementing new actions at the border to ensure that any affected romaine lettuce products are no longer being imported into Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak-1.5370929

Here in Tucson, we bought an organic Caesar salad kit a few days ago and ate some that night. The next day, I read about this Salinas lettuce issue and checked the bag. Sure enough, it said Salinas, so I threw the rest out. Hoping the organic lettuces weren't affected as much as the non-organic. Hoping we don't get sick, anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I just checked our recent romaine purchase, and it came from Santa Maria. Different agricultural area. I think we're safe.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I came within a click of ordering romaine tonight.  Thankfully I went with bib.

Yesterday morning's "be extra safe" warning was to avoid all green leafy veg from Salinas valley.    I agonized over broccoli and decided against it.    D-i-l suggested cauliflower; son said same family.   

eGullet member #80.

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Yesterday morning's "be extra safe" warning was to avoid all green leafy veg from Salinas valley.    I agonized over broccoli and decided against it.    D-i-l suggested cauliflower; son said same family.   

Can you share where you read this warning? Because it seems insane to throw out cruciferous veg like broccoli and cauliflower when the CDC specfied Romaine lettuce.

6 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

Can you share where you read this warning? Because it seems insane to throw out cruciferous veg like broccoli and cauliflower when the CDC specfied Romaine lettuce.

I'd think it would be safe to eat cauliflower as long as it was cooked.  Then again I'd rather go hungry.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

50 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

It was on the 6am CBS local TV news.    It said that the recommendation was to 'avoid all green leafy vegetables" from the Salinas valley.    It did not specifically include cruciferous veg.    

eGullet member #80.

45 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

It was on the 6am CBS local TV news.    It said that the recommendation was to 'avoid all green leafy vegetables" from the Salinas valley.    It did not specifically include cruciferous veg.    

Ah OK, in my head that sounds more like lettuces, spinach, greens, etc but can see where broccoli before harvest can be considered leafy.

48 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

I just found out half of tonight’s dinner was suspect, a chopped salad kit. It was baked potato and salad night, but as I was cutting the top of the bag off I saw “Romaine: Salinas”. 😥

So glad you didn't eat it.  :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

So glad you didn't eat it.  :smile:

Me too! Never want to experience e. Coli’s evil effects, least of all during the holiday season. I didn’t realize that it even had romaine in it, it’s one of those cabbage/kale hard vegetable mixes.

"Ajinomoto Foods North America, Inc. Recalls Chicken Fried Rice Products Due To Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Ajinomoto Foods North America, Inc., an Oakland, Miss. establishment, is recalling approximately 172,692 pounds of chicken fried rice products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The not-ready-to-eat, frozen chicken fried rice items were produced from July 9, 2019 to July 11, 2019 with various packaging and best by dates. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF only)]

54-oz. cardboard packages containing “AJINOMOTO YAKITORI CHICKEN WITH JAPANESE-STYLE FRIED RICE” with date codes “3559007, 3559008, 3559015, 3559190 and 3559191” and best by dates of “1/7/2020, 1/8/2020, 1/15/2020, 7/9/2020 and 7/10/2020.”
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “P-34708” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to retail locations in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Cilento brand Mozzarella di Bufala Campana, possible listeria. Quebec and Ontario only, at this point.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-28/eng/1574992579686/1574992585649?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's alive! There was an old head of romaine in the fridge that I am pretty sure was purchased just before the recall. My husband, a stubborn sort, with, I will admit, an iron stomach, insisted on using it in a turkey sandwich yesterday. He just couldn't do without, claiming that he would rather get sick than not have a proper turkey sandwich. Still happily chowing down on leftovers tonight. Me? Not gonna touch it.

• Like 3

Possible salmonella in President's Choice coleslaw. So far it's Ontario and points west, but possibly national.

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-12-03/eng/1575413977507/1575413982486?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Trader Joe’s products recalled over possible listeria contamination"

Their list of potentially contaminated items includes these refrigerated, prepackaged meals: California Rolls, Classic California Rolls with Brown Rice & Avocado, Spicy California Rolls, Tempura Shrimp Crunch Rolls, Tofu Spring Rolls, Shrimp Spring Rolls, Smoked Salmon Philly Roll, Smoked Salmon Poke Bowl, Banh Mi Inspired Noodle Bowl and the Queso Fundido Spicy Cheese Dip...

...Fuji Food distributes its products to a number of stores, including 7-Eleven, Walgreens, Food Lion, Hannaford, Trader Joe’s, Giant Eagle Supermarkets, Porky, Bozzuto’s, Supreme Lobster and Superior Foods.

Tim Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1