• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Local and probably not of interest to most:  prepared food and delicatessen items from Shoprite (not the same Shoprite store where I shop) have been recalled for hepatitis A contamination.  The county is offing free hepatitis A immunizations, though vaccine supplies have run out.  As of this morning's headlines six people have died.

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

So this made me very curious but when I went to try and find out what was at the bottom of it I ran across this from a New Jersey  site:

The number of confirmed hepatitis A infections has surged to 533 cases, including six deaths, in New Jersey in the last 11 months as health officials issued a new alert that a ShopRite deli worker could have exposed people to the highly-infectious disease over an 18-day span last month.

so there’s no doubt six people have died in the last 11 months but there’s nothing that I can see that relates these 6 deaths to the ShopRite exposure last month.

Here is the link. 

Edited by Anna N
Edited for clarity (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sorry!  That's what I get for reading just the headline.

No apologies needed. I think the thing is very confusing. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

49 minutes ago, Anna N said:

So this made me very curious but when I went to try and find out what was at the bottom of it I ran across this from a New Jersey  site:

The number of confirmed hepatitis A infections has surged to 533 cases, including six deaths, in New Jersey in the last 11 months as health officials issued a new alert that a ShopRite deli worker could have exposed people to the highly-infectious disease over an 18-day span last month.

so there’s no doubt six people have died in the last 11 months but there’s nothing that I can see that relates these 6 deaths to the ShopRite exposure last month.

Here is the link. 

I was going to say that hep A can kill you...but usually not, and hard to imagine 6 dead from one store

• Like 1

Just now, gfweb said:

I was going to say that hep A can kill you...but usually not, and hard to imagine 6 dead from one store

That’s what made me curious to get to the bottom of it. It didn’t sound right. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Good work by you. 

Headline writers used to strive for accuracy, now they try to get clicks 

The six deaths headline was the front page of the Courier News.  Just now looking at their website I saw no mention of deaths (at least deaths due to cold cuts) -- but photographs of "football field length" lines queued up for free hepatitis shots.  Including the Courier News reporter with a fatal fondness for Cajun chicken breast and muenster cheese.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I should clarify I work for the county.  My information on Shoprite food recalls and hepatitis situation -- other than this morning's Six Hepatitis Deaths headline and the reporter's Cajun chicken breast and muenster cheese -- comes from work email.  Forgive my vagueness.   I hesitate to share anything I possibly shouldn't share.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

We had a Hep A outbreak here in NE Arkansas earlier this year, mostly restaurant and fast-food outlet based. I got a shot, just as a precaution. It did hurt, but not as much as my flu shot, which I got at the same time in the other arm.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

"Rastelli Bros., Inc. Recalls Meat Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

Rastelli Bros., Inc., doing business as Rastelli Foods Group, a Swedesboro, N.J. establishment, is recalling approximately 130,464 pounds of raw ground beef products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. 

The raw ground beef items were produced from Oct. 3, 2019 through Oct. 15, 2019... 

"FSIS Issues Public Health Alert for Ready-to-Eat Entrees due to Possible Listeria Monocytogenes Contamination"

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is issuing a public health alert for ready-to-eat entrees due to the products containing FDA-regulated ingredients that have been recalled by Mann’s Packing Co. due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. FSIS is issuing this public health alert out of the utmost of caution to ensure that consumers are aware that these products should not be consumed.

"Ezzo Sausage Company Recalls Meat Products due to Possible Listeria Contamination"

Ezzo Sausage Company, a Columbus, Ohio establishment, is recalling approximately 25,115 pounds of sausage products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The ready-to-eat sausage products were produced on Oct. 29, 2019, Oct. 30, 2019 and Nov. 5, 2019...

With all three reports, each article lists specific products and product codes.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Listeria recall for a wholesale vendor's "European style" back bacon because of listeria. Currently affects BC and the Prairies, but possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573096241946/1573096247885?utm_source=r_listserv

Also, another update to the Ontario-centric beef/veal E. coli recall, this time adding a couple of halal butchers in Mississauga and Brampton.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573088927607/1573088927998?utm_source=r_listserv

Lobster in brine and crab in brine, botulism, sold in NB and Quebec.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-13/eng/1573696235713/1573696241811?utm_source=r_listserv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Is it my imagination, or are the number of recalls in Canada going up and up and up?   Certainly makes me stand behind our decision not to eat commercially prepared foods.  OTOH, there are a lot of ingredients being recalled...see above post from CD. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 11/13/2019 at 10:12 PM, chromedome said:

Listeria recall for a wholesale vendor's "European style" back bacon because of listeria. Currently affects BC and the Prairies, but possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573096241946/1573096247885?utm_source=r_listserv

Also, another update to the Ontario-centric beef/veal E. coli recall, this time adding a couple of halal butchers in Mississauga and Brampton.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-06/eng/1573088927607/1573088927998?utm_source=r_listserv

Lobster in brine and crab in brine, botulism, sold in NB and Quebec.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-11-13/eng/1573696235713/1573696241811?utm_source=r_listserv

Why would you buy lobster in brine?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chromedome said:

Farm Boy:  In Peterborough, there's a Farm Boy and also in Kingston...but Ed says they have nothing to do with each other.  Is the Kingston Farm Boy part of some chain?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Central Valley Meat Co., Inc. Recalls Ground Beef Products Due to Possible Salmonella Dublin Contamination"

Central Valley Meat Co., Inc., a Hanford, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 34,222 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Dublin, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The ground beef items were produced on July 23, 2019....

See article for specific product info...

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

Farm Boy:  In Peterborough, there's a Farm Boy and also in Kingston...but Ed says they have nothing to do with each other.  Is the Kingston Farm Boy part of some chain?

And it would appear that he is correct

Click

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

BrucePac, a Silverton, Ore. establishment, is recalling approximately 55,550 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) chicken sausage products due to misbranding.  Contains pork Sausage Casings. Institutional product.

USDA News Release here.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Three recalls to post:

"Select boxes of Cheese Nips recalled because they may contain plastic pieces"

Time to check the pantry: Select boxes of Cheese Nips are being recalled because they may contain small plastic pieces.

Mondelēz Global LLC, the parent company of Nabisco, announced it is voluntary recalling 11-ounce boxes of the cheese crackers "due to the potential presence of small food-grade yellow plastic pieces," according to a notice posted on the Food and Drug Administration's website Wednesday.

"Around 100,000 pounds of salad recalled after samples tested positive for potentially-deadly strain of E. Coli"

Missa Bay is recalling around 100,000 pounds of salad products after samples tested positive for a strain of E. coli that can cause potentially life-threatening complications.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) released a class I recall notice on Thursday for 38 meat-containing salad products distributed by various brands, including Aldi, Bistro, Bonduelle, Domino's, Marketside and Signature. A full list of the products included in the recall can be found here.

The link mentioned in the quote is to a PDF file listing the products involved.

"Breakstone's Cottage Cheese recalled for possible contamination by plastic and metal pieces"

Kraft Heinz Food Company has issued a voluntary recall of three varieties of their Breakstone's Cottage Cheese products due to potential contamination of metal and plastic pieces.

The company announced Friday that approximately 9,500 cases of its cottage cheese are being recalled due to contamination concerns which it says have been introduced during production.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Humph. I expect we'll see an announcement about the salad greens here in Canada, as well. Ours are mostly imported at this time of the year, and I know the Signature brand is sold here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Humph. I expect we'll see an announcement about the salad greens here in Canada, as well. Ours are mostly imported at this time of the year, and I know the Signature brand is sold here.

Can you say where the Signature brand is sold.  I mean main grocery stores only, like Sobey's or No Frills, FreshCo...  Ed, who does the shopping, thinks that Signature brand is FreshCo.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe I've seen that brand of salads at either Sobey's or Walmart. I could be wrong.

This particular recall apparently only involves salad mixes containing meat, so that lets me out even if it does extend to Canada. Not that I don't eat meat, you understand, but I don't buy bagged salads containing it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe I've seen that brand of salads at either Sobey's or Walmart. I could be wrong.

This particular recall apparently only involves salad mixes containing meat, so that lets me out even if it does extend to Canada. Not that I don't eat meat, you understand, but I don't buy bagged salads containing it.

Thanks CD.  We don't buy salad mixes with meat either.  Didn't know they were even available...still wouldn't buy them.  That is reassuring news.  I think FreshCo and Sobey's are the same chain.  Actually I can't remember buying a salad mix either.  We are both doing all the food prep and being both retired do almost everything from scratch.  

Thanks as always for your help.  We do count on you.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Can you say where the Signature brand is sold.  I mean main grocery stores only, like Sobey's or No Frills, FreshCo...  Ed, who does the shopping, thinks that Signature brand is FreshCo.  

I believe the Singature brand for the recall is Signature Cafe - Target - Albertson’s - Tom Thumb, etc (I know Aldi’s was also mentioned in several stories I read) ... 

The “salad with meat” they are referencing seems to be these (I’m not sure if I can describe it well, but here goes) - have you ever seen these pre-made (but not mixed) salads at the store? - Example - A ‘caeser’ Salad - greens on bottom - on top in a separate plastic housing - some chicken - a little shredded parm - some sliced hard boiled egg - and a baggie of dressing on top? ... I believe that’s what they are referring to in this recall for the “salad with meat” ... 

Also sold at Walmart (maybe Target? under Marketside branding .. 

If I’ve done this right This is the link to the US site with brand info (no store info sorry 😐

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ...