• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

• Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For those in Western Canada, a recall on Save On Foods' corned beef for listeria:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-11/eng/1570844971791/1570844978778

• Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A further update of the beef and veal/E.coli recall, naming specific stores, dates and products:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-11/eng/1570855063694/1570855073008

• Sad 1

One more. I can't keep track of whether this is a new one or an up date, but it's Butcher's Pride corned beef and pastrami. Right now it's Manitoba and points west, but possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-12/eng/1570907715707/1570907721821

8 hours ago, Darienne said:

This current situation in Canada is quite alarming.  

Bear in mind, almost all of the recall notices I've posted over the past 7-10 days boil down to the same two recalls, one on chicken and one on beef and veal. It's bad, for sure, but easily avoidable for most of us.

• Like 2

• Like 1

"Publix recalls Deli White American Cheese: It may contain foreign material"

Publix Super Markets has issued a voluntary recall of Publix Deli White American Cheese, warning that it may contain foreign material.
The cheese was potentially sold between Oct. 3-11 in sub sandwiches and from refrigerated cases in the deli department.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

30 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Bit late, isn't it?

I stepped outside and shook my fist towards Publix somewhere on the east coast for being late with this recall. I'm not sure they saw it.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tim Oliver

Another update on the E.coli/beef and veal recall. The list of retailers now includes Walmart and Overwaitea.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-15/eng/1571192117978/1571192124399

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salmonella, just for a change. Products are a couple of brands of Italian-style dry sausage, distribution Ontario/Quebec and Alberta/BC.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-16/eng/1571271629505/1571271635314

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got an email from Penzey's:

If you have chicken soup base from us please check your jar’s best by dates to see if yours has been recalled. The lot numbers are: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, and OCT1420VAN. These were sold from 3.16.19 onward. If you have one of these jars, don’t use it and see the instructions below for your refund...

...If you are in possession of a Penzeys Spices Chicken Base for Soup and Seasoning that was purchased since March 16, 2019 with the lot numbers of: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, or OCT1420VAN, please contact us for a full refund or exchange.

To receive a refund or exchange, please either:

1) Return the jar to any of our retail locations, or
2) Send us an email to customerservice1@penzeys.com, including your name, an approximate date of purchase, and a picture of the bottom of the jar.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• Thanks 1

Ontario and Quebec only, MF brand fish balls are being recalled for possible botulism.

https://inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-19/eng/1571524272571/1571524273055

Also, yet another update on the beef and veal recall.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-10-19/eng/1571516610736/1571516611088

ETA: This one includes products sold at Whole Foods locations in Ontario, if that raises a red flag for anyone.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, palo said:

Quote: There is no correlation between food safety and  the number of recalls.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/why-have-there-been-so-many-meat-recalls-in-canada-1.4641158

p

The article wraps up with this quote

Despite the financial and reputational dangers, the food industry largely backs rigorous recalls as a means of sniffing out the “bad apples” who “affect the reputation of an entire sector,” said Charlebois. “Every single recall related to the livestock industry builds a case for vegetarianism.”

Seems somebody forgot the recall of the romaine and the spinach and the melons and so forth. Do those recalls make the case for becoming carnivorous?

Edited to add

Damn I missed the inadvertent pun in that quote!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"More than 6,000 pounds of frozen meat sold at Walmart is recalled for possible salmonella contamination"

More than 6,400 pounds of a Walmart brand's frozen meat have been recalled for possible salmonella contamination.

George's Prepared Foods, the company that produces Walmart's Great Value frozen, fully cooked meat, said that the products were meant to be disposed of after a small group of them tested positive for salmonella but were accidentally shipped nationwide.

The article shows the Walmart products mentioned in the article.

Also this:

"Pride of Florida Recalls Beef Products due to Possible E. Coli O157:H7 Contamination"

Pride of Florida, a Raiford, Fla. establishment, is recalling approximately 64,797 pounds of raw beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The lengthy listing of recalled products are in the USDA article.

• Sad 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1