• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

"Monogram Meat Snacks, LLC Recalls Pork Sausage Products Due to Possible Product Contamination"

Monogram Meat Snacks, LLC, a Martinsville, Va. establishment, is recalling approximately 191,928 pounds of ready-to-eat pork sausage products that may be adulterated due to possible product contamination, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. This recall is being initiated due to product tampering, following the production process.

The ready-to-eat pork sausages are heat-treated and shelf-stable. The items were produced and packaged for Conagra Brand / Duke’s Meats Corp. on various dates between Jan. 16 and March 7, 2019.  The following products are subject to recall...

See the article for specific products and codes.

"Butterball LLC Recalls Turkey Products Due to Possible Salmonella Schwarzengrund Contamination"

Butterball, LLC, a Mount Olive, N.C. establishment, is recalling approximately 78,164 pounds of raw ground turkey products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Schwarzengrund, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The prepacked raw ground turkey was produced on July 7, 2018...

See the article for specific products and codes.

• Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A couple of Organic Matters brand herbal teas are being recalled for possible salmonella. BC for sure, possibly national.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-03-21/eng/1553204633622/1553204635521

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Jane's Pub Style chicken nuggets, also salmonella. This one's national. Only one date code currently recalled, but that might change.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-03-21/eng/1553209880516/1553209882053

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, Darienne said:

Has anyone alluded to where all this rubber is coming from?

California tap water has the highest amount of plastic particles in the country. (New Yorker 02/04/1019, Kormann, The Widening Gyre)  Not scary at all! 

• Sad 3

"Almost 70,000 pounds of Tyson chicken strips recalled"

Tyson Foods is recalling chicken strips that may contain metal, federal food safety officials said Thursday.

The recall affects about 69,093 pounds of frozen, ready-to-eat chicken strip products produced on November 30, 2018...

The article lists the specific chicken products and use-by date.

And for those with canine fur-babies:

"More dog food recalled for possibly toxic levels of vitamin D"

Hill's Pet Nutrition is expanding on its nationwide recall of canned dog food with potentially toxic levels of vitamin D. It took the action after saying it had received "a limited number of complaints of pet illnesses" related to additional products. 

There's a phone number to Hill's to call for more information.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• Like 1

Yes, poor chickens.  I usually avoid supermarket chicken.  We have some local suppliers for chicken.

We have room on our property for chickens but we are concerned about coyotes so we haven’t done anything about it, yet.

• Like 1

"North Country Smokehouse Recalls Ready-To-Eat Sausage Products due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination"

North Country Smokehouse, a Claremont, N.H. establishment, is recalling approximately 2,686 pounds of ready-to-eat sausage products that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically metal, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

Products named in the recall are branded "North Country Smokehouse" and "Kilchurn Estate". See the article for specific products.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

This time the recall involves beef:

"Aurora Packing Company, Inc. Recalls Beef Products due to Possible E. coli O157:H7 Contamination"

Aurora Packing Company, Inc., a North Aurora, Ill. establishment, is recalling approximately 4,838 pounds of beef heel and chuck tender products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The bulk beef products were produced and packed on Feb. 27, 2019...

They list the impacted products in the article with contact number and web links for further info.

And again, for those of you with canine fur babies:

"LOTS OF DOG FOOD RECALLED: TESTED POSITIVE FOR SALMONELLA"

The FDA issued an alert about three lots of Darwin’s Natural Pet Products because they tested positive for salmonella, but the company disputes the need for the warning.

The samples were taken in response to a customer complaint, according to the FDA, which said anyone with the product should throw it away...

This recall solely impacts Darwin's Pet Products. Specific products can be found in the article.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 3/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, Okanagancook said:

Not really a recall but perhaps should be.  I stopped buying Asian shrimp a couple of years ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/shrimp-antibiotics-resistance-amr-marketplace-1.5055101

I did, too.  Between the pollution aspects and the child/slave labor prevalent in SE Asia, I just don't choose to buy it.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, chromedome said:

Man I don't know what bothers me more, the glass or the fact that a salted caramel "energy drink" exists at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I believe it's a jacked-up coffee beverage.

Not that I'm partial to caramel-flavored coffee either, but it's a bit more broadly acceptable perhaps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I believe it's a jacked-up coffee beverage.

Not that I'm partial to caramel-flavored coffee either, but it's a bit more broadly acceptable perhaps.

Ah OK that makes more sense, in my head it was salted caramel Red Bull.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

If I am understanding this correctly, these products in question are dried tea leaves to be brewed with hot water, and not canned or bottled already brewed beverages?

That is quite unusual and scary, if that is indeed the case. It's one of the very last places one would expect to encounter salmonella bacteria.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

It seemed strange to me, too, but perhaps it shouldn't. Tea is basically leaves harvested by humans, just like lettuce and spinach (etc) and we've certainly seen plenty of recalls on those.

However, I have read articles concerning contamination of the actual soil involved in these types of cases.  That is something to keep in mind also.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"Butterball LLC Recalls Turkey Products Due to Possible Salmonella Schwarzengrund Contamination"

Butterball, LLC, a Mount Olive, N.C. establishment, is recalling approximately 78,164 pounds of raw ground turkey products that may be contaminated with Salmonella Schwarzengrund, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The prepacked raw ground turkey was produced on July 7, 2018.

The recall is for Butterball, Kroger & Food Lion ground turkey.

See the article for specific product descriptions and codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim Oliver

Ontario and Quebec, Oreinos Mylopotamos brand of dry mizythra, recalled for potential listeriosis risk.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the-cfia/newsroom/food-recall-warnings/complete-listing/2019-04-02/eng/1554256405689/1554256408446

• Like 1