• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

Edited for clarity

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Local and probably not of interest to most:  prepared food and delicatessen items from Shoprite (not the same Shoprite store where I shop) have been recalled for hepatitis A contamination.  The county is offing free hepatitis A immunizations, though vaccine supplies have run out.  As of this morning's headlines six people have died.

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

So this made me very curious but when I went to try and find out what was at the bottom of it I ran across this from a New Jersey  site:

The number of confirmed hepatitis A infections has surged to 533 cases, including six deaths, in New Jersey in the last 11 months as health officials issued a new alert that a ShopRite deli worker could have exposed people to the highly-infectious disease over an 18-day span last month.

so there’s no doubt six people have died in the last 11 months but there’s nothing that I can see that relates these 6 deaths to the ShopRite exposure last month.

Here is the link. 

Anna N

Anna N

46 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Local and probably not of interest to most:  prepared food and delicatessen items from Shoprite (not the same Shoprite store where I shop) have been recalled for hepatitis A contamination.  The county is offing free hepatitis A immunizations, though vaccine supplies have run out.  As of this morning's headlines six people have died.

One of my coworkers received notice from Shoprite that she had purchased potentially contaminated cheese.  She reports the shot is painful.

So this made me very curious but when I went to try and find out what was at the bottom of it I ran across this from a New Jersey  site:

The number of confirmed hepatitis A infections has surged to 533 cases, including six deaths, in New Jersey in the last 11 months as health officials issued a new alert that a ShopRite deli worker could have exposed people to the highly-infectious disease over an 18-day span last month.

so there’s no doubt six people have died in the last 11 months but there’s nothing that I can see that relates it to the ShopRite exposure last month.

Here is the link.