• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best / Worst "Budget" Wines

Rebel Rose

If $5-$6 is the ceiling, I'm really digging La Bamba winery's Chenin Blanc as well as their Malbec and their Cabernet Sauvignon.  I have no idea on pricing or availability of those bottles outside of Latin America, though….

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Not a white drinker, as a rule, but I do go to Bota Box for my budget wines. Their Pinot Grigio is quite acceptable. I generally keep their Old Vine Zinfandel on hand.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I enjoy Gallo Vermouth. It is very tasty, and I cook fish in the white.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Do you have Trader Joe's neaby?  They have a lot of wines that cost around 5 dollars.  My favorite is Gruner Veltliner from Hungary for 5.99 (OK it is a little over 5 dollars).

World Market often has sale on purchases of four bottles or more, like extra 25% off, and I found a lot of drinkable cheap wines there.  Discount applies even to their clearance wines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

My favorite is Gruner Veltliner from Hungary for 5.99 (OK it is a little over 5 dollars)

That Hungarian Grüner Veltliner is one I like, too.  I just picked up a few bottles and it is $4.99 at TJ's here in So Cal.  It's dry with a nice crisp acidity and I think it tastes a bit more interesting than some of the inexpensive sauv blancs that seem mostly like lemon-water.

TJ's is carrying some boxed Australian wines at $11.99/3 liters. I've only tried the Shiraz and it was drinkable although not terribly interesting.  I've recently been drinking some older bottles that I purchased at various winery visits over the years and was "saving for special."  I decided I was special enough to drink them but it does make younger, inexpensive wines seem lacking in contrast to the older bottles.

Scanning the bottom shelves, I picked up two $3.99 reds at TJ's that I've had in years past to see how they are.  I'll report back on them.   

Edited by blue_dolphin
clarity (log)

I generally find inexpensive (OK, cheap) white wines to be more palatable than reds.  Chilling white wine well also helps.  And of course there is MR if you like bubbles.

Also TJ Lambrusco is nice.

I used to very much like the Gato Negro wines that I could get in Washington State.  At the time their wines ran around $3/750ml bottle at the grocery store.  This was years ago, and no doubt the price has gone up, but I'd try the label again if I were to see it. I remember a red (merlot? blend?), but I think they also offered a white that we liked.

Edited to add: I second kayb's recommendation of the Bota Box Pinot Grigio.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 years later...

The best, more reliable, relatively cheap ($9-12USD) per bottle are from Columbia Crest. I've never had a bad wine from them, and you can usually find them in grocery stores.

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

The best, more reliable, relatively cheap ($9-12USD) per bottle are from Columbia Crest. I've never had a bad wine from them, and you can usually find them in grocery stores.

Yes, they make decent wines, as does its current parent, Chateau Ste Michelle. However, CSM is owned by Altria (former name: Philip Morris Companies), whose primary business was, and continues to be, tobacco. As addressed elsewhere in the forums, the intersection of food/beverages and ethics/politics is fraught, to say the least.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Most of my budget faves are hitting the $9-$12 range now. However, I have been able to get good things (random selections) from Total Wine and BevMo! off their discount shelves. If you don't mind drinking Christmas cheer bottles in January, good deals are to be had in the back of the store.

Bevmo! also sells re-packed cases, in plain cardboard boxes (no peeking), of random single beers (ones they normally only sell as 6-packs) for $16 here. They just save up all of the leftover beer when a bottle or two breaks in a 6-pack, then box it when they have 24. You cannot see what you're getting, but, they are always premium bottles -generally from beers which would sell for $8+ per 6-pack, if they had a full 6-pack.