• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broadway Panhandler Closing

SLB

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/dining/broadway-panhandler-longtime-manhattan-cookware-retailer-to-close-in-spring.html?hpw&rref=food&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

I figured this was on the horizon during the seeming-fire-sale they were having all fall.  So sad.  

In addition to his expertise, Mr. Kornbleuth is a really nice person to spend a lot of money with.  I better set some money aside for the final days . . . .

I am so sorry to hear this. This is one of my mandatory stops when I am NYC. It is one of my husband's favorite stores anywhere.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I haven't been down there in a while, but i think the rest. supply places on Bowery and Houston are still around... and I think there's another one on Lafayette and Houston... 

There are plenty of those...especially if you like cheap stuff - but you get what you pay for.

There's Sur La Table, which really doesn't have much to do with pro stuff.

JB Prince. 

As Paul mentioned, Bowery Kitchen Supplies.

Bridge, which also had a shop in NYC, is now in Jersey, but obviously has a web presence.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That's true, the places on the Bowery definitely have cheap stuff... but you can't beat the prices (for decent quality) for things like sheet pans, silpats, various types of utensils (large spoons, spiders, chinois)...

Even though it's pretty cheap, just about all of the stuff I've gotten from the place on Bowery just north of Houston has lasted a long time and works well... granted I don't give it a pro workout, but I've been happy with my purchases.

The Bowery shops aren't the bargain they used to be (the Bowery isn't the street it used to be ... )

Definitely still worth visiting, and still a convenient repository of all-things-pro-kitchen in a walkable radius. If you're looking for the very best values, there are enclaves of restaurant supply stores in Brooklyn (Flatbush Ave) and, I believe also in Queens.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2016 at 11:49 AM, KennethT said:
On 1/25/2016 at 11:49 AM, KennethT said:

Even though it's pretty cheap, just about all of the stuff I've gotten from the place on Bowery just north of Houston has lasted a long time and works well... granted I don't give it a pro workout, but I've been happy with my purchases.

I think you're referring to Chef Restaurant Supply.  I haven't been there in a while, but it used to be one of my favorite haunts.  As I recall, they carry some high-end restaurant cookware, including Sitram Catering, along with sturdy mid-priced stuff like Winco and a nice range of things in between.  I always found their prices to be very competitive, with one exception:  Lodge cast iron, for which they charged quite a bit more than other vendors (though they also had some pieces not commonly seen elsewhere).

On 1/24/2016 at 2:24 PM, paulraphael said:

I think the best brick and mortar shop now is the one at Chelsea Market. They're kind of semi-pro. They have things like commercial sheet pans at commercial prices, along with the usual home cookin' stuff.

I always take a spin through that kitchenware place when I go to Buon Italia (the anti-Eataly), but somehow never find it satisfying.  Not sure why.  Maybe because it's neither as hard-core as a place like Chef Restaurant Supply nor as upscale as a place like Sur la Table - it just seems betwixt and between.  Nevertheless, I dutifully wander its aisles, picking things up and putting them down, before leaving with a feeling of mild disappointment at not having been inspired to buy anything.