• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What slicer to create long ribbons

Bojana

I would like to make long, continuous ribbons of fruit and vegetables: apples, carrots, beets, turnips, potatoes etc. What is the best tool for the job? I was looking at Benriner Turning slicer but it seems it only creates a spiraling ribbon and I'd like a flat one. Any advice?

Look for a Benriner mandoline, ebay, amazon, probably your local restaurant supply or gourmet kitchenware store.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

thank you but perhaps i was not clear.i want really long ribbons, that go several turns around an apple for example. I have a mandoline but that is for flat pieces, it cannot follow a curve and produce the length i need

I am not sure how the apple peeler/slicer idea would work with things like zucchini but they do certainly work with harder veg and fruit such as those you mentioned, Bojana. They create a spiral however and that may be hard to 'unwind' without breakage.

Here is a link to one like the one AlaMoi showed pictures of, for sale on Amazon.

Apple peeler

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)

12 hours ago, dcarch said:

Nothing proposed/linked so far will give you long ribbons.

You can practice using a regular sharp knife. It will give you what you want.

dcarch

I do it with a vegetable peeler but it is very intense, labour intensive and the ribbons break. Just had an idea to stea my husband's drill and try a drill and peeler combo, until I get a suitable machine :) Afraid my knife skills are not there to do it with a knife