• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternatives to fondant funnels?

Hi all - so I'm looking to make some chocolate dipped fondants; i'm ok with the process except for one thing. Actually getting the fondant in the silicon moulds without also fondanting myself, the counter, the walls, houseplants and everything else in a 5m radius. (Ok ..that may be an exaggeration but it's what it feels like!)

The obvious answer is to use a fondant funnel but dear god they're expensive! The cheapest i've found is round the £120 mark - which seems a lot for a metal funnel with a tap on it. I've found other "piston funnels" on amazon for much, much less...generally smaller volume (about a litre or less..which is fine for my very small scale production). However the disparity in price range (they're about £30 average) makes me wonder if i'm missing something? This one looks fine to me but am I going to run into problems using this with fondant? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyer-3353-00-Piston-Funnel-Black/dp/B0015XHOKA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1453730013&sr=1-1&keywords=piston+funnel

Possibly a daft question..but it's worth checking I think!

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

Is the fondant hot?  If not, why not use a piping bag?  Or even a squeeze bottle if that's easier to handle. I have a confectionary funnel like that, but use a piping bag for 99% of my portioning and filling. Unless I'm scooping cookie dough :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Is the fondant hot?  If not, why not use a piping bag?  Or even a squeeze bottle if that's easier to handle. I have a confectionary funnel like that, but use a piping bag for 99% of my portioning and filling. Unless I'm scooping cookie dough :)

Based on the recipes i'm using (Grewelling's) ..yes, it will be hot. Certainly over 50c - however...a squeeze bottle may do the job I guess...hmm!

On 1/25/2016 at 11:34 AM, martin0642 said:

Based on the recipes i'm using (Grewelling's) ..yes, it will be hot. Certainly over 50c - however...a squeeze bottle may do the job I guess...hmm!

Oh I see, like his mint fondants that say to deposit at 60 C.  Someone on another forum was looking for a drip-less pourer, and when I was out for pizza this weekend I saw something that reminded me of that, and which may possibly work for you too.  The bartenders kept all their juices and such in syrup dispensers, like this: 

Winco G-116 Syrup Dispenser, 14-oz

Should be able to handle the heat and has a handle to protect your hand, and they do pour fairly cleanly, might be worth a try!

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted Amazon Link format (log)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

Oh I see, like his mint fondants that say to deposit at 60 C.  Someone on another forum was looking for a drip-less pourer, and when I was out for pizza this weekend I saw something that reminded me of that, and which may possibly work for you too.  The bartenders kept all their juices and such in syrup dispensers, like this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CDVPOO/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0026HUICK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0N7Q03V4J33VJKWD3VTB

Should be able to handle the heat and has a handle to protect your hand, and they do pour fairly cleanly, might be worth a try!

Oooh - yeah that looks good! Thank you - may consider that one :)

• Like 1