• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleavers

kayb

I want a cleaver. It doesn't have to be a many-bells-and-whistles one; chiefly, I want one I can whack through chicken bones with. I found this one in Amazon's warehouse deals for a little more than 50 bucks, which I thought was pretty reasonable for a forged Japanese blade. I am not familiar with the brand. Any users/reviews/knowledge of it out there? Any recommendations on a different one? I don't want a huge big thing, but obviously, I want one big enough to do the job. I doubt it will be used for much of anything but disjointing meat. Amazon Warehouse Deals also has an 8-inch Zhen cleaver for $66. Which is preferable?

Also, recommendations on a reasonably priced boning knife would be appreciated. My workhorse everyday knives are Misonos, but I'm not tied to that, though I do prefer Japanese blades.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lesliec
eG-friendly Amazon link (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm with dcarch on this one. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I own 2 older Dexter's  ( we had a butcher shop )   ... They are older and real heavy weights  (  they  can chop about anything )..I'm sure you can fin older ones on e-bay. 

My favorite thou  is one by Sanelli  , made in Italy.  I really like the rubberized handle and the Asian blade style..its my go to pizza cutter too

I thought I would have you look at the link below too

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-cleavers?id=bng

Look at Restaurant supply stores in your area,  or a Hobart dealer.. they have alot of meat supply stuff.  For knifes for boning

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

don't forget the Chinese Cleaver's Best Friend :

[ed.: actually your finger tip's best friend]

cleaver.thumb.jpg.c83936bb2d12f3ac1fb089

the mallet.  HomeDepo  rubber/hard plastic   Chinatown # 3

note the top of the mallet.   Id not use a metal hammer, just saying.

Based on dcarch and Anna N's recommendations, I went with the 7-inch Concord Cookware one, for just over $20, cited in the link Paul Bacino sent. If I want to step up later, well, I haven't invested much in it. I don't think I'll use it enough to warrant buying a Dexter. Thanks, all, for your input!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Maybe too late for you kayb, but I hope the one you got is heavy enough.  IME, most "Chinese cleavers" are too light and thin to last long at chopping bones and splitting things like... chops.

I recommend people have at least one thick, heavy cleaver that can break bones for making stock, flattening meat, splitting hard squash, etc.  Mine's a Fulton Brand by Foster Brothers, Model 1099.  About 1/4" thick, with a big convex edge.  I had my friend Bob Kramer sharpen and rescale her in cocobolo back before he became immortal.  Splits kindling, too

You should be able to find something similar on eBay...

cleaver.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...