• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Isomalt nibs?

martin0642

Hi all - so I'm going to have a go at playing with isomalt...specifically to make a small scultpure/showpiece. Partly for the fun of experimentation and partly because I'd like to make my own display stand for use on a market stall. As in a small showpiece type thing with a couple of small shelves on it that will display some of my chocolates. I figured it could be quite eye catching (hopefully for the right reasons!)

However - I'm struggling to find concise information on a couple of points and wondered if anyone here could help. 

1. Can I melt isomalt nibs the same way as crystals (especially...without a microwave, Don't own one, never will..I get the convenience of them but I also despise them :) )

2. NIbs are apparently easier to work with - can anyone explain why?

3. Ref to 1 - do nibs need water when melting?

4. Colouring isomalt - can I just use normal food colour? And lustre dusts? There are coloured options available but seem more expensive.

5. Over here (UK) there's a place selling "Ready tempered coloured isomalt nibs" - I don't understand what they mean by tempered here - (I understand chocolate temper..same thing?)

ANy pointers would be MUCH appreciated :)

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

1. Can I melt isomalt nibs the same way as crystals

Yes, be cautious, isomalt gets a yellowish-brownish hue if overcooked.

2. NIbs are apparently easier to work with - can anyone explain why?

The crystals have already gone through the changes associated with boiling.

3. Ref to 1 - do nibs need water when melting?

How much sugar work have you done in the past? You can do melts without water, but you will have to manage temperature changes in a very short time frame (stirring, pulling off and back onto the flame, taking the temp) and very accurately or you risk burning it. Instructors generally have students use water the first time, then reduce the amount of water as they progress in classes.

4. Colouring isomalt - can I just use normal food colour? And lustre dusts? There are coloured options available but seem more expensive.

You cannot just use any colors. Isomalt cooks at a higher temperature than sugar and some colors will burn. You can buy separate colors just for sugar work. Luster dust should be brushed on after a piece is done. If mixed in with melted isomalt it can burn, and it can under go changes which make the isomalt less strong, and possibly cause fractures. But, generally it turns very ugly.

5. Over here (UK) there's a place selling "Ready tempered coloured isomalt nibs" - I don't understand what they mean by tempered here - (I understand chocolate temper..same thing?)

Not the same as chocolate. In isomalt you are discouraging crystal formation not inducing it. Essentially those nibs will melt easily and are usable without having to worry about exact temperatures. They have also been packaged in moisture free environments to discourage crystal formation.

Be aware that in some cases a showpiece might only last a few hours. Isomalt is a bit more resistant to humidity than sugar, but, I have seen them get fuzzy looking in just a few hours during classes given in a hotel with humid air. (here in Phoenix, nonetheless)

• Like 4

Awesome!! Thank you!  I haven't done that much sugar work but enough to have the bug for it. I'm ok with managing temperatures but I think I'll slow down and explore this all a bit more carefully after your comments. The point about humidity is a big one, I suspect a market stall in cold, wet, UK winters is not the place for sugar work!  Hmmmm. Thank you, that was hugely helpful!!  :)

• Like 1

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

Yeah, I had a showpiece one winter that I took all sorts of places and kept at home on the dining room table for about 8 months until my cat (bengal) broke it. I have made others during our monsoon season that just barely lasted a day. It can be a very ephemeral art form.

I would suggest practicing with real sugar (cheaper, and you can cook with your mistakes) just to get more experience.