• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

Red romaine; mint; and BRAND NEW ENGLISH PEAS!!!  I shelled 'em on an interminable zoom call.   IMG_1807.thumb.JPG.8f21435983c542a6e05277e61f95b942.JPGSteak, too.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Shelling peas and top & tailing green beans is therapeutic for me. Do you do something with the shells like make a stock/broth?

51 minutes ago, SLB said:

@heidih, I never have; but it's an awful lot of material to go into the garbage, so I guess I need to look into it.  

Simple, sweet, vegetal. There are lots of sites and cookbooks now about using vegetable scraps. Don't overthink it. Simmer in a small amount of water until it tastes nicely pea-like. Strain and use where it makes sense. I have the luxury of a large property so I can go and toss stuff on the dirt. Raccoons schooled me yesterday - apparently spent shrimp shells after making stock were an insult. They did not make a mess but they moved them under a bush. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, heidih said:

They did not make a mess but they moved them under a bush.

How thoughtful of them. 

We have raccoons here in my very urban neighborhood.  They are gigantic as is appropriate in a landscape to overly abundant with garbage.  They are also bold, rabid, and not entirely nocturnal.  One tried to follow me into my vestibule one evening.  I hate them with a white-hot heat.  

• Haha 3