• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

SLB

Salad 2016 –

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

I don’t know how or when I acquired my love of beets but it's almost my all-time favorite veg.   I love it in any form.

My husband loves beets to.  I like all vegetables, even celery and green peppers ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chefmd said:

My husband loves beets to.  I like all vegetables, even celery and green peppers ;)

Me too, I can’t  think of a single vegetable that I DON'T like.

• Like 1

Arugula lends itself nicely to all kinds of additions.  Admittedly, I possibly went overboard today.  Two kinds of peppers, two kinds of olives, feta cheese, pine nuts.

IMG_0527.thumb.JPG.58082ee312f39065c58367a50d3b39e6.JPG

• Like 5

Variety of greens from the neighbors garden, Parmesan shavings.  Tastes so much better than supermarket salad.

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.b3abba71b1a22e534abe46684ad7d3a4.JPG

• Like 1

MY lettuce from MY garden with feta and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.41729750fa21aa462081bab7a8bf41c4.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Melon, Blueberry & Feta Salad with Ginger & Mint from Diana Henry's Simple. The recipe is available online here.

IMG_8515.thumb.jpg.530f501398f449ee97291aa568a08d86.jpg
The recipe calls for 3 kinds of melon, which is a little excessive for my fridge, plus cucumber. I used pink watermelon, green Galia melon and orange Ambrosia melon and the colors do look lovely.
The dressing uses the vinegar from a jar of pickled ginger and the book photo looks like there's some of the pickled ginger itself in the salad so I added that too and it's delicious. How come I never thought to put pickled ginger in a salad?

Edited by blue_dolphin to add link (log)
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

How come I never thought to put pickled ginger in a salad?

Now there is an idea I definitely need to adopt. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Melon and Goat Cheese with Red Wine and Lavender Dressing from Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach.

IMG_8835.thumb.jpg.b0e75934d0a098a857846f112256669b.jpg 
This is nice enough. Easy to put together and pretty on the plate but not as interesting as I thought it might be. Maybe my lavender wasn't up to snuff. Slices of melon are drizzled with lavender-infused/honey sweetened red wine and goat cheese. In the photo in the book, the red wine dressing looks rich and syrupy - as if it was a reduction - but there is no instruction to reduce it. Mine looked more like I spilled red wine on my melon 😮.

Diana Henry confirmed on Instagram that spilled wine was about right so I guess that's as it should be.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Roasted beets, roasted grapes, hummus shmear, pine nuts, Maldon salt, EVOO.  Syrup left over from roasted grapes made a lovely old fashioned cocktail.

4846151F-0FD8-41FB-B0D4-AD46859A3ED8.thumb.jpeg.6d4c6fa7492eacfbe35af6ea5bc807df.jpeg

• Like 5

My version of the Warm Duck Salad with Wet Walnuts and Beets from Russell Norman's  Polpo. My biggest problem with a duck confit salads is always nibbling so much of the warm duck that there's not enough left for the salad. Luckily, I controlled myself and saved some for the salad.

IMG_9404.thumb.jpg.f472460ca889774f3915005c1977373f.jpg
I had never heard the term 'wet walnuts' before, except as a sweet nut topping. The local farmers markets have green walnuts in June for making Nocino and Vin de Noix but according to the header notes, this is something different, "one of those great delicacies of autumn." Well, apparently I missed the boat as Google tells me they are available around here in Aug and Sept but no longer so I used very fresh, but regular walnuts.
The recipe says to boil the beets with a splash of red wine vinegar. I think this salad needs a bigger punch of acid so after cutting them up, I lightly pickled my golden beets in Katz's white wine vinegar. I also subbed frisée for the arugula as it was already in the fridge and it holds up better to the warm duck.

• Like 5