• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

Mixed Chicories with Grapes, Candied Walnuts and Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette from Taste & Technique:

854736D9-77FA-4E76-82BE-B6CA37B46DB1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.716261afc2952f444ca55de9b12790c9.jpeg
The sweet, juicy, grapes, crunchy candied walnuts, sweet/tangy dressing and nutty Parmesan all contrast nicely with the bitter greens.  I used radicchio, escarole, curly endive and arugula. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The sweet, juicy, grapes, crunchy candied walnuts, sweet/tangy dressing and nutty Parmesan all contrast nicely with the bitter greens.  I used radicchio, escarole, curly endive and arugula. 

Whew!  Not a black bean in sight! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Whew!  Not a black bean in sight! 

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank goodness.  Nor a chickpea, even better!

Hey!  Some of us out here love black beans and chickpeas...and might take umbrage at your tone of voice!!!!!  A day without legumes is a day without sunshine.  :raz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My black bean reference was said tongue-in-cheek.  I actually like all kinds of beans but we never have them except for boston-typed baked beans.  John does not like, and won't eat, beans and lentils.  But, I'm with him on the chickpeas.  Nasty little things.

Regarding chickpeas/ceci...I take the lazy way and buy canned ones. Many years ago I tried dried, didn't use them often, and found bugs in the bag, so I was put off. However, the quality of canned varies tremendously, and if you are keeping them whole for a salad, it makes a difference. I have been buying Rienzi brand at my local Shop Rite, they are nice and firm. The store brand were terrible, I will only use them when they are going to be pulverized into hummous.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

My black bean reference was said tongue-in-cheek.  I actually like all kinds of beans but we never have them except for boston-typed baked beans.  John does not like, and won't eat, beans and lentils.  But, I'm with him on the chickpeas.  Nasty little things.

Alas...there is no appropriate icon for me to use to reply to your post.  :raz::raz::raz:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tossed with some oil and seasonings and roasted, chickpeas are a lovely crunch in a salad. Oh and the 60's favorite - cold 3 bean salad with green beans, kidney beans and I think we called chickpeas - garbonzos.

• Like 1

I resisted the urge to clap back with a bean salad of some sort but decided to continue with my regularly scheduled programming...

Salad of asparagus, arugula, egg and radish with a mustard vinaigrette from Ruffage

35FF5A74-35F5-419A-B90F-A7F665716220_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.68367ff87f68dacd640be300b2186172.jpeg

Very nice, though I kinda wish I'd gone with a jammy egg instead of the hard boiled that the recipe specified. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I resisted the urge to clap back with a bean salad of some sort but decided to continue with my regularly scheduled programming...

Perhaps I've missed it, but what exactly is your 'regularly scheduled programming'?  Are you following some cookbook?  Or?    Your salads always look so lovely.  And each one is a new one.  

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Perhaps I've missed it, but what exactly is your 'regularly scheduled programming'?  Are you following some cookbook?  Or?    Your salads always look so lovely.  And each one is a new one.  

Thanks! I got some nice asparagus at the farmers market so that was dictating the recipes I wanted to try. I often choose recipes from the cookbooks being covered by an online Facebook cookbook group, but not always. 
I was mostly kidding about the beans, though I did consider it!   

• Like 2

Today's salad, from Ruffage,  is reminiscent of a Waldorf - celery, grapes, apples, and pecans - but with goat cheese instead of mayo. 

FBBF463B-C5F6-4133-94A5-D5DED7EB1A0C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.75cc0603304056d8798d5a5675323140.jpeg

I had this with a chicken sandwich but the chicken could just as well have been cut up and added to make it into a main course salad. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

goat cheese instead of mayo

Was it thinned or just another component rather than a dressing?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Was it thinned or just another component rather than a dressing?

Per the recipe, the salad is dressed simply with oil & vinegar, salt & pepper, and the goat cheese is sprinkled over the top.  I, however, happened to have some of the goat cheese vinaigrette leftover from the beet & radicchio salad I made the other day from the author's other book, Grist, so I used that and just added a small amount of additional goat cheese.  I tend to think it's worth mixing up the vinaigrette as it brings along a little shallot, lemon juice & zest but is still light and in no way mayo-like. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Salad of asparagus, arugula, egg and radish with a mustard vinaigrette from Ruffage

35FF5A74-35F5-419A-B90F-A7F665716220_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.68367ff87f68dacd640be300b2186172.jpeg

Very nice, though I kinda wish I'd gone with a jammy egg instead of the hard boiled that the recipe specified. 

Your radishes looke paper thin. Did you use a mandoline or do you just have incredibly sharp knives and amazing knife skills?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Your radishes looke paper thin. Did you use a mandoline or do you just have incredibly sharp knives and amazing knife skills?

I'd like to say my knives are incredibly sharp and I have amazing knife skills but I used my Oxo V-slicer (mandoline-wannabe) for the radishes. They were pretty big and I figured cutting them as thin as possible was the way to go. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Citrus salad with capers, green olives, endive, micro pea shoots and radish sprouts. Awaiting a spritz of freshly squeezed orange and Meyer lemon along with a little evoo. Chervil and mint from pots of herbs that were over wintered in the garage.

5408179E-1273-4F0F-BC2F-D938AEBF70B4.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Additions (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Little Gem Lettuces with Creamy Pistachio Vinaigrette from Taste & Technique

412EAE85-E999-4C10-BD67-4FCE6E410C9F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.77801d5857c6ee36926b41cc365ffdfc.jpeg

I thought this one was very cute - like little baby wedge salads!  Just lettuce and radishes but the pistachio vinaigrette is the star of the plate. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

@blue_dolphin, the vinaigrette looks like it has a dairy base, is it buttermilk or something similar?

The dairy element is crème fraîche. Sour cream is listed as an alternate and I think yogurt would be fine. 

The recipe also includes aioli, which also gives it a creamy appearance. 

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I found the recipe online at this link, in case you're interested.  

Thanks!  When she says the  pistachio oil is optional-  dothink really optipnal orr that the oil need not be pistachio?  Really envious of those baby gems,

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

Thanks!  When she says the  pistachio oil is optional-  dothink really optipnal orr that the oil need not be pistachio?  Really envious of those baby gems,

I did wonder about that.  Based on a taste-test, I just left the oil out entirely.  I will hunt down the pistachio oil and give it a try sometime.  

And yes, those baby gems are lovely.  For the longest time, no one at our farmers market was growing them but one of the vendors has started bringing them.  They're a treat!

Barley salad with cauliflower, smoked whitefish, marinated mushrooms and arugula from Grist

74E2B41E-FB5A-411D-8A68-40254C93739F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3f8b3e6d110b7869f08da4e80874b9e5.jpeg

Kind of a strange combo of ingredients that I only tried because this recipe is in the "Week's Worth of Barley Without Any Boredom" section of Grist and I decided to work my way through these "weeks" as a way to get more familiar with the book and these grains.  I wasn't prepared to love it but it grew on me and I ended up enjoying it.  I used smoked trout instead of whitefish and baby kale instead of arugula.  The dressing is just pickle liquid (I used spicy dills) mixed with mayo and seasoned with S&P.  I added some crisped barley from one of the other recipes for a bit of crunch. The marinated mushrooms are first pan-roasted, then tossed with garlic, thyme, rosemary, garlic, chili flakes, olive oil and red wine vinegar.  They're quite good - more umami than pickle-y.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Barley salad with cauliflower, smoked whitefish, marinated mushrooms and arugula from Grist

74E2B41E-FB5A-411D-8A68-40254C93739F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3f8b3e6d110b7869f08da4e80874b9e5.jpeg

Kind of a strange combo of ingredients that I only tried because this recipe is in the "Week's Worth of Barley Without Any Boredom" section of Grist and I decided to work my way through these "weeks" as a way to get more familiar with the book and these grains.  I wasn't prepared to love it but it grew on me and I ended up enjoying it.  I used smoked trout instead of whitefish and baby kale instead of arugula.  The dressing is just pickle liquid (I used spicy dills) mixed with mayo and seasoned with S&P.  I added some crisped barley from one of the other recipes for a bit of crunch. The marinated mushrooms are first pan-roasted, then tossed with garlic, thyme, rosemary, garlic, chili flakes, olive oil and red wine vinegar.  They're quite good - more umami than pickle-y.  

Is the cauliflower just thin sliced & raw? I was offered too many of those bought from the grocery store raw veg & dip trays - so I have avoided playing with it.