• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I believe I picked up a tin of the La Brújula baby squid in olive oil by mistake when I was stocking up on mussels at the import shop.

I often buy baby squid, but fresh not canned. I do use in a salad with a ginger, citrus, chilli and fish sauce dressing, radish, cucumber, mint, coriander leaf and cashews. No peaches!

I use a slightly adapted version of this first recipe. I have to make my own stem ginger to get the syrup. Also, the baby squid only get one minute cooking.

1041299862_babysquid.thumb.jpg.e4a03d03732ed70f65ba1edecfd673d9.jpg

1104172002_babysquid2.thumb.jpg.730c5d34bd3abbe638b463b040ed6e26.jpg

723527864_Squidcucumberradishandcashewnutswithcitrus-chillidressing.thumb.jpg.590de4669430b0b93961cc63aa4b83bf.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 7/22/2022 at 3:40 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It's been decades since I've brought food to a potluck, but one of my favorite contributions was cannellini beans with tuna and parsley.  Liberal garlic and red onion.  Dressed with olive oil and balsamic.

That sounded good enough to eat so I made some for lunch. Since I had some Rancho Gordo Marcella beans cooked, I turned to Marcella herself for the recipe for Bean and Tuna Salad from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.  Marcella uses red wine vinegar for this instead of balsamic and only uses a clove of garlic so I stuck with that. 

1CC29CD9-84E8-49D2-BB78-C7960855761B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c402c2329138415c75990d7aba1c30fa.jpeg

Served on traditional Italian shiso leaves 🙃

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who occasionally use the bagged Asian Salad kits and who keep a cucumber quickle bowl un summer I am sharing a nice enhancement (here is looking at @Shelby and @Kim Shook adding some of the vinegary quickles w/ their onions really adds interest. Did it yesterday for first time. I'd always added some onion and cider vinegar but this was better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Green bean and potato salad with mission figs and Ibérico ham from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.  

0220D616-73D9-4DED-8C4E-3A9CE0E1F567_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6caef49e98774ba1faa23f6bae642fa9.jpeg
This was a fun salad with a lot of different flavors and textures. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs green beans and 1 lb potatoes.  I'd recommend equal parts. The potatoes are cooked in salted water with a "sachet" of garlic, bay, thyme and peppercorns and I was surprised how nicely that flavored them in the short, 10 min cook time, in contrast to the beans which seemed a bit bland in comparison. Per the recipe notes, I subbed prosciutto for the Ibérico ham and cut it up instead of serving slices on a separate plate so I could get a bit of that salty punch in most every bite.  I made this because I had fresh figs and prosciutto on hand but I can't say this is the best way to show off a fresh fig.  Maybe just wrap them in the prosciutto and put them both on a separate plate 🙃

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

On 8/10/2022 at 3:05 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Green bean and potato salad with mission figs and Ibérico ham from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc at Home.  

0220D616-73D9-4DED-8C4E-3A9CE0E1F567_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6caef49e98774ba1faa23f6bae642fa9.jpeg
This was a fun salad with a lot of different flavors and textures. The recipe calls for 1.5 lbs green beans and 1 lb potatoes.  I'd recommend equal parts. The potatoes are cooked in salted water with a "sachet" of garlic, bay, thyme and peppercorns and I was surprised how nicely that flavored them in the short, 10 min cook time, in contrast to the beans which seemed a bit bland in comparison. Per the recipe notes, I subbed prosciutto for the Ibérico ham and cut it up instead of serving slices on a separate plate so I could get a bit of that salty punch in most every bite.  I made this because I had fresh figs and prosciutto on hand but I can't say this is the best way to show off a fresh fig.  Maybe just wrap them in the prosciutto and put them both on a separate plate 🙃

The only word that comes to mind is swoon. I am going to track down the ingredients, because I really need this.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2022 at 2:09 AM, MaryIsobel said:

The only word that comes to mind is swoon. I am going to track down the ingredients, because I really need this.

Testify.  I'm going to make this next week.  Because I am going to be in a home where someone else bought the jamon iberico.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Vietnamese watermelon & tomato salad from Susan Spungen's Open Kitchen (recipe available online here in her newsletter - scroll down) Lots of watermelon & feta salads around so this was a nice change with the saltiness coming from fish sauce, miso and soy sauce in a lime vinaigrette dressing.  Red chili peppers and fried scallions add contrast. 

5B79B075-A825-4306-9BEF-45FF5C1B7716_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c9bcbd1cde15c0f82fe949b72f0b3549.jpeg

In the book, she recommends serving this salad with a Vietnamese pork tenderloin. Found a loin pork chop in the freezer that I'd cooked sous vide, gave it a sear and added a bit of her tenderloin marinade to the pan to drizzle over.  Made some coconut brown rice in the Instant Pot. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Lots of watermelon & feta salads around so this was a nice change with the saltiness coming from fish sauce, miso and soy sauce in a lime vinaigrette dressing.

You are right. It is great to see a watermelon salad that doesn’t call for feta. It’s not one of my favourite cheeses and I notice lately that what I have been getting is either very salty or completely bland.  Your meal looks very attractive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

consider Bulgarian Feta

Hopefully

sliced to order 

in a middle east store that has

6 - 12 feta's

in their own brine .

or what ever you gan get and shows up.

very very creamy , w the Greek feta ( from Greece ) 

sharper notes , rounded out.

I used to get this locally ,

and hope to again.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Tangerines needed to be used up quickly.

4 tangerines, segments deseeded

4 ribs of celery diced

handful of dried pomegranates pips (anardana)

6 green olives chopped

salt

pepper (lots)

dash champagne vinegar

last tblsp of olive oil in bottle.

Small side salads for 2.  To go with elk burger patty melts.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

that looks quite nice - could you list out the ingredients please - some stuff I can identify - but others . . .

Sure, my base was Smitten Kitchen’s Israeli salad recipe. I used tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, sumac powder, salt, white pepper, feta, and chickpeas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chilli Pomelo Salad from Dishoom

62BE906D-079B-43C0-9511-846DB552AF63_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3c64edc99e4fc9f410e1cf161cca7759.jpeg

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while now so when I saw some nice pink pomelos at the farmers market, I knew just what to make.  The header notes describe this as, "Hot, tangy, nutty, sweet," and it is all of those things!  

The salad has pomelo, toasted pistachio and pepitas, green onions, fresh red chile and dates.  The greens are kale, cilantro and mint leaves.  The dressing Is lime juice with two condiments from the book, Chilli Drizzle (sherry vinegar, jaggery, chili flakes, brown sugar and coriander seeds) and Tamarind Chutney.  Great combination and fun to eat. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
forgot the green onions (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Kale with quick-pickled apple, Gruyère crisps, and creamy Dijon vinaigrette from Taste & Technique

8A5D91D4-A412-472C-B506-589675C5D1B3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.401a753f061718936d2e67b548c04185.jpeg

This is one of the simpler recipes in the book and a good mix of flavors and textures.  Should have made more of that Gruyère frico!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Red cabbage, walnuts and apples are a favorite combination in this household.  The dressing is sherry vinegar, walnut oil and a wee bit of lingonberry jam.  I vary the nuts with hazelnuts and use hazelnut oil or pistachios and pistachio oil.

CB69F244-4F98-4C34-8F61-1D128598EF40.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Roasted Beets and Pink Grapefruit with Frisée and Mint Crème Fraîche from Taste & Technique

241D244C-EABF-4DB6-9E42-C63471F1416A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.29f70218319c05c5930e7fa53330b86e.jpeg

No frisée so this is some curly endive.  Citrus is a mix of pink pomelo, cara cara orange and blood orange. 

The beet roasting operation was more involved than my usual wrap them in foil and throw them in the CSO method and I can't say it was worth the effort. I think I prefer roasted beets as their own sweet selves without the head of garlic, strips of orange peel, 2 thyme sprigs, 8 bay leaves, 2 tsp black peppercorns, and 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil.  Perhaps because I used a round baking dish instead of the rectangular baking dish that the recipe specified. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Coriander-Seared Tuna with Citrus and Fennel Salad from Taste & Technique

DB6065AD-C9A2-42C3-B954-AE30856B46A4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.32126277afd7df128a4f12b291d9cae7.jpeg

I made this as a main-course salad. It's very easy, no unnecessary complications, and makes a beautiful plate. The fennel and parsley salad is dressed with a simple citrus vinaigrette. I used pink grapefruit, Cara Cara orange and blood orange, all from the farmers market for the citrus and ahi tuna from Aldi.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Farro w/Beets + Radicchio w/Goat Cheese Vinaigrette from Grist

3417DEDE-78A7-46B9-939E-BB03B8856CA1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1c58b786fe15308a75b2cae19faa94db.jpeg

Very good.  Chewy farro, sweet roasted beets, bitter radicchio, and crunchy pepitas, all dressed in a tangy goat cheese vinaigrette

That looks delicious to me but for the goat cheese, but I could always sub that for a cheese that is more agreeable to me. Can you explain "sweet roasted" beets?

• Delicious 1

57 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

That looks delicious to me but for the goat cheese, but I could always sub that for a cheese that is more agreeable to me. Can you explain "sweet roasted" beets?

Yes, any cheese that you can incorporate into a dressing with a bit of whisking would work. Or just skip the cheese entirely and choose your favorite vinaigrette.  As to the beets, perhaps I worded that poorly. I roasted them and they tasted quite sweet.   Edited to add that I probably should have written sweet, roasted beets. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Yes, any cheese that you can incorporate into a dressing with a bit of whisking would work. Or just skip the cheese entirely and choose your favorite vinaigrette.  As to the beets, perhaps I worded that poorly. I roasted them and they tasted quite sweet.   Edited to add that I probably should have written sweet, roasted beets. 

Thank you. I always think of beets as sweet, but I know a lot of people don't.

12 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

You do make the most wonderful salads.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.