• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

5 hours ago, chefmd said:

The stress of the week melts away while making radish, carrot, broccoli stem, scallions, parsley, cilantro slaw.  Chop chop, relax relax.  EVOO and lime juice dressing.

E872D0E5-C18C-4E24-96CD-E4D053491BD5.thumb.jpeg.9b43fa39bb58d61a4381d9fba47f39fb.jpeg

Ethanol does not always go well with chop chop.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

English cucumber salad:  I have the go-to recipe for thinly sliced English cucumbers.  It's very simple and the dressing is simply equal parts sugar, vinegar and water.  As I began to repeat making it last spring into summer, I noticed that the cucumbers were getting wetter and wetter and soon I was adding only sugar and vinegar.  Today I made it for the first time in many months and sure enough, I was back to adding sugar, vinegar and water in equal amounts.  

I shall watch the cucumbers again to see if they are wetter and wetter like last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What type of vinegar, @Darienne?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

48 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Darienne  no salt factor? Cukes do vary a lot. My current go to are the  ones marketed here as Persian or Lebanese. (slightly different) The best unless I am growing my own Kirby - picked young.

This recipe doesn't call for salt.  And we, living in the Far Frozen North, and shopping in a small provincial city, get cucumbers, English or not. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Darienne said:

This recipe doesn't call for salt.  And we, living in the Far Frozen North, and shopping in a small provincial city, get cucumbers, English or not. 

Wiki via Google says they grow them in Canada ;) (in summer)

• Like 2

They are, but mostly as a greenhouse product so availability can be spotty on a regional basis. We have a couple of significant greenhouse growers in nearby Nova Scotia, so I can generally get 'em year-round.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

They are, but mostly as a greenhouse product so availability can be spotty on a regional basis. We have a couple of significant greenhouse growers in nearby Nova Scotia, so I can generally get 'em year-round.

Same here.  I have one in my fridge as I type.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Same here.  I have one in my fridge as I type.

And  I have three in a salad and I have no idea where they come from.  No point in asking Ed what the placard sitting above the cucumbers said.  It's more than enough that he does the grocery shopping.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

20 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And  I have three in a salad and I have no idea where they come from.  No point in asking Ed what the placard sitting above the cucumbers said.  It's more than enough that he does the grocery shopping.

Our produce only has the origin on those maddening little stickers that half the time rip the skin. I can't stand looking at them. Have to peel immediately or turn the fruit in the bowl so not visible.

• 2 months later...

Curly endive and citrus salad with mascarpone yogurt, radish and celery dressed with pomegranate vinaigrette from Bestia

475566485_IMG_3812(2).thumb.jpeg.036d6c74bbd1501fa530b990fbd454e9.jpeg

The recipe in the book calls for coraline, described as a new version of chicory that looks like a combination of Belgian endive and frisée.  I just used regular curly endive.

For the citrus, I used pink grapefruit, blood orange and cara cara orange.

The white blobs are a mix of Greek yogurt and mascarpone and I found it an interesting way of adding a creamy element to a citrus salad. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Typo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Darienne said:

English cucumber salad:  I have the go-to recipe for thinly sliced English cucumbers.  It's very simple and the dressing is simply equal parts sugar, vinegar and water.  As I began to repeat making it last spring into summer, I noticed that the cucumbers were getting wetter and wetter and soon I was adding only sugar and vinegar.  Today I made it for the first time in many months and sure enough, I was back to adding sugar, vinegar and water in equal amounts.  

I shall watch the cucumbers again to see if they are wetter and wetter like last year. 

They did.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

With some lovely blueberries from the farmers market, I browsed my cookbooks for salads that I hadn't yet tried and came upon this Spinach (or arugula) Salad with Blueberries & Corn in the Moosewood Restaurant Table.   Red onion, walnuts (I used the sweet/spiced V's Nuts from This Will Make It Taste Good) and goat cheese are the other ingredients. It's served with a blueberry/basil dressing. 

IMG_3909.thumb.jpeg.c1c671863dc20e074f4f54b6ec6cc07a.jpeg

The corn should have been freshly cut from the cob and I used frozen so there was certainly some charm lost there but overall, it was a good combo and the dressing is excellent. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Another fruity salad.  This one is called Midsummer's Salad from Asha Gomez's I Cook In Color.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.513908403f1b7b057d520fe6252c23a6.jpeg

The grapefruit vinaigrette is very simple (grapefruit juice, honey, olive oil, sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes) but exactly perfect.  

Edited to add that the cherries are Brooks from Murray Family Farms's stand at the farmers market and the grapefruit is from a friend's tree. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Pink grapefruit and sumac salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty More.available online here

IMG_3938.thumb.jpeg.41a5f25e1f60dea1c70066f5afec49b3.jpeg

This recipe has you reduce 1 1/4 cups of grapefruit + 2tsp sugar down to ~ 5 TBSP which makes a syrup to emulsify the dressing.  It's delicious. 

I used curly endive instead of red endive and watercress and added watermelon radishes.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Pink grapefruit and sumac salad from Ottolenghi's Plenty More.available online here

Oh my! Your salad looks so much more photogenic than the one on the site you linked to! I hope Williams-Sonoma doesn’t  poach you from eG. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh my! Your salad looks so much more photogenic than the one on the site you linked to! I hope Williams-Sonoma doesn’t  poach you from eG. 

I second that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's lunch (most days, with varying protein).

Romaine lettuce

Celery

Cherry tomatoes

Baby bella mushrooms

Radish

Avocado

Colby/Monterey cheese

Pepperoni

Cubed ham

Hard boiled egg

Crumbled Danish blue cheese

With a side of barbecue chicken and Grillo half sour pickle.

16228241199423169609715075926753.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1