• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

Well now I am looking at the sweet potato and the can of chickpeas and thinking sheet pan. Plenty of citrus ('tis the time of year) and maybe young nasturtium leaves and blooms. Plus citrus pickled red onions cuz Lebovitz got me going that way today. 

• Like 2

Salade composée.

1229737769_Saladecomposee2020-02.thumb.JPG.57b53bfc758f5c18188b82d7c274b5d4.JPG

Atop arugula tossed with a lovely mustardy vinaigrette: avocado, tomato, Nicoise olives, piquillo peppers, cornichons, carottes râpées. Atop all, house made chicken salad.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 months later...

Wedge esque salad.  No blue cheese so I used goat cheese, mayo, sour cream, lime juice in the dressing.   Topped with bacon, dill, radishes.

8A0162E5-5E0B-4E26-A66B-6D91079E67A0.thumb.jpeg.371c64d07edcfdf2c62a18e65ff9b073.jpeg

• Like 8

DSC02028.thumb.JPG.05fff080ca41e4a272f6de890f4c14bb.JPG

First time I've made this salad in a long time.  Ed doesn't like it but can't remember why.  I ate it many years ago while sitting on the board of one of the provincial mental health hospitals (they're all closed now) and when the 'fat' times ran out, the board ate lunch with the staff in the staff cafeteria.  The CEO's secretary obtained the recipe from the chef and I made it for years.  I have no idea of its name or origins.  Maybe someone out there knows of it: chickpeas, grape tomatoes, green onions, parsley, lemon and olive oil dressing and chili powder ( kind which has no particular cachet).   Sorry about the blurred effect.

• Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

13 minutes ago, Darienne said:

DSC02028.thumb.JPG.05fff080ca41e4a272f6de890f4c14bb.JPG

First time I've made this salad in a long time.  Ed doesn't like it but can't remember why.  I ate it many years ago while sitting on the board of one of the provincial mental health hospitals (they're all closed now) and when the 'fat' times ran out, the board ate lunch with the staff in the staff cafeteria.  The CEO's secretary obtained the recipe from the chef and I made it for years.  I have no idea of its name or origins.  Maybe someone out there knows of it: chickpeas, grape tomatoes, green onions, parsley, lemon and olive oil dressing and chili powder ( kind which has no particular cachet).   Sorry about the blurred effect.

It sounds delicious! It makes me think of Middle Eastern or Mediterranean food, which have quite a bit of overlap.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to make this salad and failing to assemble all the ingredients at appropriate ripeness.  Finally gave up and made a sub. 

IMG_2575.thumb.jpeg.1d02539446143d1786adf1d333f2000f.jpeg

It's the Watercress, Mahón cheese, Nectarines and Creamy Lime Dressing from Amá.  Only a little of my watercress was still perky by the time the nectarine was ripe.  I used what I had and added some romaine. Arugula would have been better.  

This didn't completely wow me but I will remember the addition of a spoonful of heavy cream to a citrus dressing used on a salad with fruit. 

These are still early season nectarines so I'll try it again in mid-summer.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, scamhi said:

lunch salad

chopped romaine lettuce, campari tomatoes, radish, avocado, onion, blue cheese. dressed with a moscatel sherry vinegar and olive oil

Nice salad but I am coveting the vinegar

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

That bottle is a blast from the past. Is it readily available? The price I pay for letting my husband do the shopping. Oh, wait, still worth it.

if you are talking about the vinegar I posted. I bought it on Amazon. not cheap

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a salad this afternoon which we haven't eaten in more than 30 years.  My first 'much older than I was' friend ever served it to us up at her cottage and gave me the recipe many years ago, long before I ever considered cooking as something I wanted to do.  I know nothing of its origins but a quick look on Google did not find it.  She just called it Carrot and Cauliflower Salad, with the carrots being boiled before joining cauliflower florets and chopped onions.  Brought back such long ago memories. 

DSC02211.thumb.JPG.f4680e87bdb865033e20e8a8148cca51.JPG

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Made a salad this afternoon which we haven't eaten in more than 30 years.  My first 'much older than I was' friend ever served it to us up at her cottage and gave me the recipe many years ago, long before I ever considered cooking as something I wanted to do.  I know nothing of its origins but a quick look on Google did not find it.  She just called it Carrot and Cauliflower Salad, with the carrots being boiled before joining cauliflower florets and chopped onions.  Brought back such long ago memories. 

Dressing?

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Dressing?

Very simple.  Salt, pepper and mayonnaise.  I added some parsley.  Amazingly delicious. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The cauliflower is raw?

And if so how finely chopped?  People use raw on those crudite platters with dip at parties but . 

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

The cauliflower is raw?

2 hours ago, heidih said:

And if so how finely chopped?  People use raw on those crudite platters with dip at parties but . 

Here's the recipe as I wrote it down many years ago:

"Cut little white things off.  Add cooked carrots, diced small (1/2 cup?).  Add raw onion, mayonnaise, salt, etc.  Red pepper."

Good heavens, I forgot to read the part about the red pepper.  So, you see, it's all up to you.   And I certainly cooked a lot more than 1/2 cup cooked carrots. 

You know, I don't think that's my handwriting to begin with...

• Haha 8

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

118E6AAE-F9A1-41C0-8BC5-A6BEA7D580CF.thumb.jpeg.45bdb9632b7a732c69265b8368287959.jpeg

This Pasta Salad will be making an appearance at Dinner tonight. Farfalle with blanched broccoli, red and orange bell peppers, green onions, marinated artichoke hearts, green peas, black olives, dressing (Garlic Expressions vinaigrette, parsley, dried basil and oregano), and shredded cheeses (Jack, cheddar, asadero and parmesan).

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 5