• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Beets on ricotta....brilliant 

Thank you.  I happened to have a container of ricotta that needs to used up.  So ricotta goes with everything over the next few days :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Thank you.  I happened to have a container of ricotta that needs to used up.  So ricotta goes with everything over the next few days :)

Ricotta ravioli!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On toast. Make toast, butter it. Add a nice layer of ricotta. Then you can add a variety of things, or not. I like thin slices of tomato and salt and pepper. I am also very fond of a drizzle of honey or sorghum on the ricotta layer, then and salt and pepper. Excellent on a white pullman loaf or a rustic crusty loaf or a rye bread. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had one roasted beet, half of day old avocado, very (and I mean very) ripe pear.  Blue cheese and cashews sprinkled on top, dressed with lime juice and olive oil.  Must go shopping for herbs.

FA113E18-C04B-433A-8F41-7214E43E0362.thumb.jpeg.b8ffaed23442a1b920c7424fd120ebe8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, chefmd said:

I had one roasted beet, half of day old avocado, very (and I mean very) ripe pear.  Blue cheese and cashews sprinkled on top, dressed with lime juice and olive oil.  Must go shopping for herbs.

FA113E18-C04B-433A-8F41-7214E43E0362.thumb.jpeg.b8ffaed23442a1b920c7424fd120ebe8.jpeg

Gorgeous.  Reminds me I have two avocadoes in the bedroom not getting any younger.  No beets nor pear, but I do have a shipment of cashews arriving from nuts.com, next day delivery.  And half a pound of the world's best cheese.

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Gorgeous.  Reminds me I have two avocadoes in the bedroom not getting any younger.  No beets nor pear, but I do have a shipment of cashews arriving from nuts.com, next day delivery.  And half a pound of the world's best cheese.

Nothing in my bedroom is getting any younger either.  And that includes me ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm having a bowl of cashews with my mai tai -- does that qualify as a salad?  (I checked with the avocados and they said they might wait a day or two.)

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watercress Salad with Beets & Walnut Mascarpone Crostini from Zuni Café Cookbook

IMG_1876.thumb.jpeg.d070d3b5476d14037218c6df74a63bf9.jpeg
The roasted beets are marinated simply in black current vinegar and olive oil and the marinade becomes the dressing.  I think I've got 24 bottles of vinegar but no black current so I subbed in tart cherry zinfandel balsamic. Don't tell.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Watercress Salad with Beets & Walnut Mascarpone Crostini from Zuni Café Cookbook

Lovely salad and even lovelier presentation. I will never tell that you subbed in tart cherry Zinfandel balsamic for black currant vinegar. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

lunch yesterday.

red pepper, orange pepper, grape tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, radish, sweet onion and feta. dressing apple cider vinegar, good oilive oil and some maldon salt. dressed in the am and ate at my desk 1pm.

IMG_1309.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making chopped salads lately - mainly for lunch.  Romaine, Persian cucumbers, grape tomatoes, 4 bean salads, coleslaw, macaroni salad (not all at the same time!)

Today I added some thinly sliced petit filet and some croutons.

Great, now I am craving poached tuna with small pasta and 4 bean salad with vinaigrette.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Salad of Chorizo, Avocado & Bell Peppers with Sherry Dressing from Diana Henry's Simple. Apparently the result of a merger between a Spanish tapas bar and a California salad joint!

IMG_1976.thumb.jpeg.20f716de5b20eb20781abafdef835b11.jpeg
Delicious salad and lots of fun to eat - you can make each bite a different combination of ingredients. I crisped the chickpeas in the oil left from the chorizo. The rich ingredients (chorizo, avocado, roasted pepper, etc.) need a nice bite from the sherry vinegar. I only tasted the dressing by dipping leaves of greens and ended up drizzling a bit more vinegar on afterwards.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Warm Squash and Chickpea Salad with Tahini, adapted from Moro and included in the Food52 Genius Recipes cookbook.  Recipe available online here

BBCC398F-3A1E-4C13-962A-D15A142C3953_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8dfe96a6eaeece44b848dc9e95ec1df5.jpeg

Based on comments from others who found this mushy or bland, I crisped the chickpeas,  slivered the onion and pickled it lightly in lime juice, tarted up the dressing with a good bit of extra lime juice and added a little roasted sesame oil to boost the tahini flavor. 

This was apparently conceived as a lettuce-free salad but I served it on curly endive. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This was apparently conceived as a lettuce-free salad but I served it on curly endive. 

I followed your link to the original and thought that your dish looks 100 times more appetizing. But then there are those damn chickpeas.😂

• Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog