• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

'Caesar' Brussels Sprouts from Josef Centeno's cookbook, Bäco. The recipe is available online here

IMG_6152.thumb.jpg.fc4dac0b29a5fa6c3e4c2c611630955d.jpg

I have plenty of the dressing, pickled red onions and caraway breadcrumbs leftover so I'll be happy to make this again soon.

This is pretty, and now I want some. I have trying to be good about cookbooks, might have to add this to my list...But first thank you for the recipe!

Going through this discussion reminded me of this delicious and refreshing salad I do every summer.  It's really best when your local produce is in season, but you can stil make it year round. Watermelon that I cut into balls, strawberries, cucumber, green Italian olives, then feta.  The dressing is just olive oil and lemon juice, then basil and mint, chives and some dried oregano.  I use Mexican oregano because it has the buds attached and is really fragrant.

Watermelon Salad - Copy.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 4:24 PM, chefmd said:

Slaw made with radishes, cauliflower stalk, carrots, celery, brussel sprouts.  Dressed with lime juice and mayo.  

Wow, now I wish I'd seen this before I went to the store

This is the Beet Slaw with Pistachios and Raisins from Six Seasons and it's absolutely delicious!   The recipe is available online at this link.

IMG_6725.thumb.jpg.8e3fa5618c09e5200773cf32d5033c62.jpg

IMG_6729.thumb.jpg.15a97da28b62603442bf72373af0cdb3.jpg

The beet slaw gets dressed, then served atop a layer of pistachio butter - one of the book's pantry recipes. 

If you try this, DO NOT skip the raisins!!! Even if you are not a raisin lover, you should give them a try. Once they get that hour long garlic/vinegar bath, they add the perfect note to this salad.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

I am on a slaw kick lately.  Quick to make, crunchy, colorful.  It also keeps my knife skills "sharp" ;)

red cabbage, radish, carrot, parsley, cilantro, lime juice, little bit of mayo.

IMG_0430.thumb.JPG.f45cedd4dac2fd6ea8adf32fb61f4232.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

nice

what are those Tomat's?

probably not from your garden

looks like a nice Cold Winter Refresher !

spring might come some day.!

I like the Campari tomatoes. They are the only ones we can get around here that have anything close to that summer tomato taste throughout the year. I get them for $2.99 for a 1 LB pkg. In winter, I buy Romas for sandwiches and my weekly salsa fix and the Campari for salads.

HC

• Like 3

I can usually find the Campari tomatoes at Costco here in AZ and they also usually carried them back in BC, though I realize some of you may not be close to a Costco or have a membership. 

The Campari tomatoes are regularly available near me at Wegmans. But this week, they didn't look as good as the little grape tomatoes, so I got those instead. (Admittedly, I don't plan to try and use them on sandwiches.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I will also add that on  one of the few occasions that I have had an issue with the Sunset brand Campari tomatoes ( they just went south in a hurry), The sunset company was very good about it. They requested the harvest code from the package bottom and mailed me a nice coupon with an apology for my troubles.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, lindag said:

I don’t know how or when I acquired my love of beets but it's almost my all-time favorite veg.   I love it in any form.

My husband loves beets to.  I like all vegetables, even celery and green peppers ;)

• Like 1