• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad 2016 –

SLB

Here are some examples of something that I suspect (but could be wrong) that you may not have seen before – "Yee Sang" or "Yusheng".  Here's an example of this dish from earlier this year that I put together.  A discussion of what goes into it here.  Some Google image sets here and here. :-) 

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

The green papaya should be dressed just prior to serving.  Having it "rest" in the refrigerator after being dressed made it limp.  Also, try adding some fish sauce... makes a big difference!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Also, try adding some fish sauce

Yes, which would make it more "defined" as perhaps a version of som tum, a Thai papaya salad, although the Malays and Vietnamese and Nyonyas  have their versions too - and with other refinements one could make it clearly an Isaan dish. :);)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The green papaya should be dressed just prior to serving.  Having it "rest" in the refrigerator after being dressed made it limp.  Also, try adding some fish sauce... makes a big difference!

Oh yeah, missed the fact that he dressed it ahead of time!

41 minutes ago, Bhukhhad said:

although I am not in Asia

Ah. Where are you located, please, if you would be willing to say so? Do you also have a culinary heritage upon which you draw, and where/what might that be, if you are willing to say so? Just curious.

Edited by huiray (log)

17 hours ago, huiray said:

Here are some examples of something that I suspect (but could be wrong) that you may not have seen before – "Yee Sang" or "Yusheng".  Here's an example of this dish from earlier this year that I put together.  A discussion of what goes into it here.  Some Google image sets here and here. :-) 

BTW, there's one particular enticement for folks considering making this salad especially for a get-together with others, whether friends or acquaintances or even strangers. YOU GET TO PLAY WITH YOUR FOOD AGAIN. Your Inner Child is encouraged to come steaming out once more. :-) Look closely at that last image set (this one). Everyone – adults, children, young and old, the High and Mighty, and the Most Powerful to the humblest person, all ethnicities and nationalities, who take part in the prescribed traditions of this dish, are GRINNING FROM EAR TO EAR as they gleefully toss away... :-) 

9 minutes ago, Bhukhhad said:

I love the 'play with your food' idea that you put frtu with the tossed papaya salad. Very nice

Uh, glad you like the idea of "play with your food" but the Yee Sang salad I posted about is not a papaya salad. (I have also never seen shaved green papaya in any Yee Sang that I know about or have ever had or seen)

But if you want to "play with" your papaya salad - sure, why not - go for it.

P.s. I'm still curious where you are and what culinary tradition you draw on.

Edited by huiray (log)

• 1 month later...

Inspired by ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=978-03079AOCir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=030795823 (Suzanne Goin): Grilled peach salad with burrata, cumin, and toasted almonds (+ mint and plenty of sliced shallots).

This normally called for arugula which would have been an ideal choice (bitterness to counteract the sweetness of the peaches & burrata), but I had forgotten to buy some and used a lettuce & radicchio mix instead.

The dressing was a bit heavy on the cumin. Otherwise this is a super tasty salad when peaches are in season. Interestingly, the mix of cumin with mint strongly evoked shiso to me, which I actually realized is a type of mint. I wonder if that was intentional.

Peach salad with burrata, cumin, and toasted almonds

I had leftover so I had the salad again with some prosciutto (on buttered toasted baguette). A perfect lunch!

AOC-inspired: roasted peaches, burrata, mint, prosciutto, cumin dressing

Edited by FrogPrincesse
improve description (log)
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by Lucques this time (and the pulses thread), bean salad with basil, feta and a poached egg.

The original recipe called for lima beans. I used dried red hidatsa beans from my CSA that I cooked in the pressure cooker and that were super creamy. The feta & poached egg are my addition (sprinkled with a bit of piment d'espelette). Basil from the patio.

Bean salad (Lucques) with basil, feta and a poached egg

Bean salad (AOC) with basil, feta and a poached egg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Greek-inspired salad with a super crisp Japanese cucumber from my CSA, cherry tomatoes, feta, Italian parsley (also from my CSA), mint, shallot, za'atar, sumac, arbequina olive oil & lemon juice dressing.

Greek-inspired salad

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 8

The other day at a restaurant a friend ordered a Bibb & Blue salad. I thought - this is so basic, why would anyone pay $11 for something like that. Well, I still think $11 is a lot of money for a simple salad, but I was blown away because it was so wonderful. So when I got a beautifully crisp and sweet butter lettuce in my CSA and a nice slice of Big Rock Blue, I knew exactly what to do. The dressing was olive oil and sherry vinegar.

Bibb & Blue

• Like 5

Like bacon and butter, blue cheese makes everything better!  Must be that bountiful B. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Niçoise-inspired salad with red leaf lettuce, romaine, cherry tomatoes, Arzak poached egg, and a really nice smoked albacore tuna from American Tuna.

Niçoise-inspired salad

Edited by FrogPrincesse
spelling (log)
  • Like 7

Well I had to look up Azac poached egg and I admit to being gently amused when I learned what it was!  Egg poached in plastic wrap.:)  Have not done that in a while. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

Well I had to look up Azac poached egg and I admit to being gently amused when I learned what it was!  Egg poached in plastic wrap.:)  Have not done that in a while. 

That's the only way I do poached eggs, because it works every single time! :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...