• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oatmeal

lindag

@lindag  The slimey thing is not an issue with me as I grew up with Cream of Wheat (Nestle's Quick was fave add in). As mentioned above you can bake, The overnight oats craze is huge. Much more chewy and low on slime. My problem is that oatmeal makes me hungry. Protein in the morning works for me or even dal. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Agree that the overnite oats is a good prep method, you wind up with more of a "muesli" situation where the oats remain chewy and separate from the milk. I like to add peanut butter powder to the mix, or even protein powder.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 1/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, heidih said:

@lindag  The slimey thing is not an issue with me as I grew up with Cream of Wheat (Nestle's Quick was fave add in). As mentioned above you can bake, The overnight oats craze is huge. Much more chewy and low on slime. My problem is that oatmeal makes me hungry. Protein in the morning works for me or even dal. 

LOL I'm the opposite...if I eat the traditional eggs 'n' whatever breakfast I feel greasy and bloated until mid-morning, and then ravenous until lunch. My steel-cut oats stay with me much more effectively. Different strokes, no?

FWIW, the limited work done on the satiety resulting from different foods, based on a consistent number of calories eaten, showed oatmeal to be one of the most satiating among breakfast foods. Of course, a plate of eggs, bacon, hash browns, etc adds up to a lot more calories than a bowl of porridge, which is one of the reasons satiety studies are a bear to design (well...that and the subjectivity of the whole exercise).

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My favorite steel cut oats are Hamlyn's Pinhead Oats from Scotland. They come in a can and cost an arm and a leg and are harder and harder to come by. You can still get them on Amazon, but they cost almost twice as much as Bob's organic steel cut, so that's what we buy now. Irish steel cut oats are more available, but I don't like them as much.

My problem with hot cereal is that it stays hot for about one minute and then it just isn't so yummy any more. There must be some kind of heated bowl that would keep it hot for longer....

I tried the Bob's and didn't care for 'em. My usual two are the store-brand from Superstore (one of Canada's two main chains) and the ones from Bulk Barn, which seem to be identical. I don't know who actually mills them.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@ElsieD

Ive had that brand some time ago.   it tasted ' canny ' to me

in my area , no longer at Bread and Circus

and Organic + chain from some time go

it had a full two isles of ' bulk ' ingredients 

some organic some not , but bulk and a much better value

enter  the older  WholeFoods

the bought them up.

now in my area , the ' burbs

only WF has bulk ingredients

it seems that the number of bins is shrinking 

but perhaps not

I get the steel-cut oatmeal there

I use a Fuzzy National// Panasonic pot to cook them

I cook them w milk on the ' porridge ' setting

milk does not do well , Im told in the iPot.

but the same Idea :  push a button , fiddle and faddle 

then the Fuzzy beeps and Im done.