• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from Manchester (UK)

martin0642

Hi all - so.......long time lurker and first-time poster here. I gave up my academic job a little while ago (or rather..funding issues gave it up for me!) and whist i'm still pursuing some of that work freelance, I have been well and truly bitten by the chocolate bug. I bought a wet grinder to just "have a go" at making chocolate. Several large textbooks, lots of happy messy hours and numerous 'oohs' and 'ahs' from friends later...i'm now planning to make a go of this as a business. Fingers crossed.

Initially, I'm making my on couverture from Casa Luker Fino de Aroma nibs ..living in a small apartment does not lend itself to winnowing unfortunately. I'm not sure my neighbours would appreciate regular husk showers. So - for now - i'm in the seemingly unusual position of being a 'nib to bar' manufacturer - but also using Callebaut to make ganaches (because it's just simpler to have that already tempered, and ideally sized chocolate at this stage). All my enrobing and bars will be with my own chocolate though. At some point i'll drop the commercial couverture and do everything with my own choc. 

In the meantime - I have a course booked with Ruth Hinks in February and then hopefully start trading towards the end of March. I am equal parts terrified and excited :)

My plan - in case anyone is interested - ish....is to stick to 3 bars (2 x dark and one "dark milk") and a small range of freshly made dipped and molded confections, with a rotating menu of other things like fudges and odd flavours etc. All freshly made, no flavourings (except actual fruit/coffee/mint etc), no lecithin, no vanilla (except as a flavour in ganaches etc). no novelty chocolates.

We'll see how I feel abotu all of that in six months eh? :)

• Like 4

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

Hi Martin. Welcome to eGullet.

Sounds like the beginning of a great, if terrifying, journey.  Don't hesitate to ask for help here - we have some very experienced chocolate people (you know what I mean!) posting regularly.  And don't forget to show us your results, good or bad.

Good luck with your plans, and have fun on the forums.

Regards,

Leslie

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Aww...thank you for the warm welcome! I'll be sure to post up my ...I was going to say successes..I'll say results ..for now :) I suspect the Ruth Hinks course will have me burrowing into my kitchen for a looong time. Plus I've just ordered Notters nook so there's more stuff to play with :)

And yes - I'm on a few chocolate/cooking related forums but this seems to be the most useful for what I#m looking for, very helpful, lots of chocolatiers...plus I get other cooking tips too (I used to be a chef...so I'm easily distracted by anything food related)

At some point I'm going to see if I can combine my interest in molecular gastronomy with confections. I have no idea how...it just appeals to the geek in me :)

Anyway - thank you :)

• Like 1

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan