• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rancho Gordo Featured in Sunset Magazine Article

IowaDee

The February issue of Sunset Magazine has a great article about the beans of Mexico.  And guess who is featured.....our own Steve Sando.  Nice write up and lots and lots of recipes.  I have been a Sunset subscriber for more than 25 years and I finally :"know" someone in it.  Cool Beans as they say.

I hope someone with more skills than I have can post a link. 

• Like 6

Fortunately my library offers Sunset online.  I'm sitting here with my mai tai savoring Steve's article on my iPad, which if must say so, looks even more glorious than the printed magazine.  I'd been wanting beans all day.  Tomorrow I may put beans on to soak before I leave for work.  I can't handle unsoaked beans on a work day unless I use the pressure cooker.

Congratulations, Steve, on your recent publicity.  Now I wish I'd ordered Moro!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

At work today I showed the print edition of the Sunset article to a few folks.  When I mentioned Rancho Gordo, one friend looking at the pictures said:  "I've heard of them."

Sadly the beauty of the print edition photographs does not compare to how stunningly pretty they are on my iPad.

• Like 2

Congratulations, Steve. Some of your black turtle beans will be finding their way to my house next week thanks to Kerry Beal and her visit to San Francisco.   I am just learning to enjoy beans and I credit yours with getting me over my dislike of them.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Some vaquero beans will make their appearance in my Instant Pot as a major ingredient in vegetarian chili with butternut squash later this week. New convert to RG, and I'm sold. Will never buy another kind of bean.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

At this very moment I'm soaking some Midnight Black beans (for just a few hours; Steve says they need "little, if any, soaking") which eventually will be combined with onions, carrots, celery, and local Tuscan kale, probably served over rice, for a simple Sunday night dinner.

I hope someone with more skills than I have can post a link

I looked, but the article is nowhere to be found. A site-specific Google search (Sando site:sunset.com) turned up only a brief mention in an April, 2015, article about the home-canning of beans.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to pick  up a copy of this issue in the airport last week and want to add my congrats on a great article.

Sunset has sort of locked down their digital so I wasn't able to find it online either but the recipes that accompany the article as well as some additional bean recipes are available  here or type in sunset.com/beans

There are some good ones that I plan to try.

• Like 2

To expand a bit on what I wrote above, our library offers Sunset (and many other magazines) online via a service called Flipster.  (Though I had a hard time paging past a gorgeous chocolate advertisement to make it to the beans.)  And of course we have the hardcopy.

Check with your local library!  The photographs are beautiful.  Even the one of Steve.

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin Thanks for the link. I am not a customer of RG since I grow and dry several kinds of beans myself,enough for the two of us, however I'm going to have to try several of those recipes. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina