• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:57 PM, Chris Hennes said:

Are we sure this is cheapness and not an act of rebellion against the swill that passes for "lemonade" in most restaurants?

Amen to that.

My father does this all the time and has for years.  He can't stand the "lemonade" that most restaurants serve - and, for that matter, neither can I.  It's so strong, and cloyingly sweet.  Not only does my father not like the strength and sweetness of the lemonade that most restaurants make from a powdered mix, he says it has an off-putting artificial and chemical taste.  In addition to that, he, like so many older folks, is now a borderline diabetic, so these days he makes his "quicky" lemonade with one of the sugar substitutes that is on the table -  presumably for his use, right?

He never "orders a plate of lemon slices," however.  The water most often comes with one slice already in it, or perched on the side, and that's usually enough for him.  If it's a really big glass of water, he might ask for one or two additional slices, or point at one of our glasses and ask if we are going to use our lemon slice. 

It's not cheapness.  He does this even when a drink is included with his order and the restaurant-made lemonade would cost him nothing extra.  He does this even when my sister has ordered a pitcher of lemonade for herself and her kids and grandkids.

And, frankly, if the server brings him a glass of water with a lemon wedge, and if there is a container with sugar and sugar substitute already on the table, and if all of these things have been made available for his use, I don't see any problem whatsoever with him combining them howsoever he sees fit.

Jaymes

Jaymes

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 4:57 PM, Chris Hennes said:

Are we sure this is cheapness and not an act of rebellion against the swill that passes for "lemonade" in most restaurants?

Amen to that.

My father does this all the time and has for years.  He can't stand the "lemonade" that most restaurants serve - and, for that matter, neither can I.  It's so strong, and cloyingly sweet.  Not only does my father not like the strength and sweetness of the lemonade that most restaurants make from a powdered mix, he says it has an off-putting artificial and chemical taste.  In addition to that, he, like so many older folks, is a borderline diabetic, so he makes his "quicky" lemonade with one of the sugar substitutes that is on the table, presumably for his use, although he did use about a half-packet of the sugar before this diabetes issue came up.

He never "orders a plate of lemon slices," however.  The water most often comes with one slice already in it, or perched on the side, and that's usually enough for him.  If it's a really big glass of water, he might ask for one or two additional slices, or point at one of our glasses and ask if we are going to use our lemon slice. 

It's not cheapness.  He does this even when a drink is included with his order and the restaurant-made lemonade would cost him nothing extra.  He does this even when my sister has ordered a pitcher of lemonade for herself and her kids and grandkids.

And, frankly, if the server brings him a glass of water with a lemon wedge, and if there is a container with sugar and sugar substitute already on the table, and if all of these things have been made available for his use, I don't see any problem whatsoever with him combining them howsoever he sees fit.

Jaymes

Jaymes

23 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

My father does this all the time and has for years.  He can't stand the "lemonade" that most restaurants serve - and, for that matter, neither can I.  It's so strong, and cloyingly sweet.  Not only does my father not like the strength and sweetness of the lemonade that most restaurants make from a powdered mix, he says it has an off-putting artificial and chemical taste.  In addition to that, he, like so many older folks, is a borderline diabetic, so he makes his "quicky" lemonade with one of the sugar substitutes that is on the table, presumably for his use, although he did use about a half-packet of the sugar before this diabetes issue came up.