• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clamping non-magnetic chocolate molds

pastryani

I've skimmed through the threads in this forum on how to cast and attach a double mold together, but I didn't come across any pics of this process.  Having never done this before, I don't really know where to start.  Is the process different if the chocolate is filled vs. empty?  It seems that if it's filled, you could cast both molds, then fill ganache to the tops of each mold and scrape, and then attach the molds together while the ganache is still "wet".  But if the chocolate was empty (no filling), I would think that after casting the second mold, you'd have to attach it right away to the first so you still had a "wet" surface that would adhere.  Does any of this make sense?!!

Next, it looks like there are several ways to attach your molds:  (a)  Metal clamps; (b)  Plastic clamps; (c)  Rubber bands; (d)  Chopsticks

The metal and plastic clamps look like bizarro torture devices.  How many of them do you use?  I would guess 4, but would it be true that if you use more clamps, you'd get a tighter the seal and less of a seam? (btw- I'm talking about molds that are flat across the surface and don't have a raised lip like some egg molds out there).  Thanks!

Edited by pastryani (log)

Double ganache filled molds are somewhat overfilled (ie filled to the brim) then a thin layer of warm as possilbe chocolate over one side of the ganache and the two sides are put together quickly then the clamps or whatever applied. I've never liked working with the big metal clamps - chopsticks fail to hold the sides together as well as they should, a combination of chopsticks to align and big industrial plastic clamps can work rather well.

I find one of the best solutions though is to use gianduja as the filling - it holds itself together!

• Like 1

Regarding clamps for molds, it depends.  For seasonal figures ( santas, bunnies) 4-6 per mold.  If the mold is warped you may need more.  I've got a few huge molds ( 22 inch high santa) where I use a different type of clamp.  Packing tape.  I start at the bottom of the mold and wrap tightly, working my up to the top.

• Like 1