• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patrickamory

patrickamory

With regard to tasting menus, I think it has to do with what you want out of a meal. I find the profusion of courses and tastes to be overwhelming, and find a classically balanced meal with, say, 3 courses (if French or Italian) or a multitude of simultaneous yet complementary courses (as in the case of many Asian cuisines) to be not only more satisfying as a whole for my tastebuds, but also more conducive to conversation, atmosphere, conviviality and a sense of occasion. All of which I generally seek when dining out. As always, chacun à son goût & that's what makes life great, etc.

Steve, I know and appreciate Henry's End and have been going there for years. It has been a little while though. Since I have a friend who lives on Remsen Street now, maybe I'll return in the near future. Queen - I happen to have had a great meal there two months ago. The owner was charming and the scarpariello (always a litmus test for me at old-school Italian) really delicious. Maybe we lucked out?

Agreed that Bamonte's has had a bit of a renaissance in recent years. You have to choose carefully of course - they actually do a terrible veal piccata - but that massive, tender pork chop with hot & sweet vinegar peppers is one of my favorite meals in New York.

patrickamory

patrickamory

With regard to tasting menus, I think it has to do with what you want out of a meal. I find the profusion of courses and tastes to be overwhelming, and find a classically balanced meal with, say, 3 courses (if French or Italian) or a multitude of simultaneous yet complementary courses (as in the case of many Asian cuisines) to be not only more satisfying as a whole for my tastebuds, but also more conducive to conversation, atmosphere, conviviality and a sense of occasion. All of which I generally week when dining out. As always, chacun à son goût & that's what makes life great, etc.

Steve, I know and appreciate Henry's End and have been going there for years. It has been a little while though. Since I have a friend who lives on Remsen Street now, maybe I'll return in the near future. Queen - I happen to have had a great meal there two months ago. The owner was charming and the scarpariello (always a litmus test for me at old-school Italian) really delicious. Maybe we lucked out?

Agreed that Bamonte's has had a bit of a renaissance in recent years. You have to choose carefully of course - they actually do a terrible veal piccata - but that massive, tender pork chop with hot & sweet vinegar peppers is one of my favorite meals in New York.