• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pete Wells slams Per Se

cdh

I'd be shocked if the staff didn't know what he looks like.  For many years, restaurants would get somehow get pics of the NYT critic and post it in the kitchen.  Granted, the critics wear 'disguises', but I really wonder if the staff doesn't figure it out.

As I said in response to a friend's FB post:  Saw this. I'm surprised. He doesn't seem to do a lot of extraneous stuff - TV, magazines, etc. He's got restaurants and cookbooks. Period. And a rep as maybe THE top chef in the US. You'd think he'd keep a really close watch on his restaurants.

• Like 1

Well, even the French Laundry has not been at the top of the lists for a while now. And what about that HUGE kerfuffle about the health violations for Per Se back in 2014? And as for Thomas Keller being THE top chef in the USA - hmm, not sure about that.

Almost sounds like the waitstaff don't like the no tipping policy. ¬¬ Except for the poor review of most of the food. But really the price increase isn't that far out of line with inflation since tip is now included, and probably in the noise since you shouldn't apply the same factor to all industries. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

""   You'd think he'd keep a really close watch on his restaurants. ""

what he needs to do,  as any Chain Mogul should do :  hire someone to do this.

he certainly can afford it.

""   ranging from respectably dull at best to disappointingly flat-footed at worst.""

doesn't sound like any stars were deserved.

$ 3,000 for a meal for 4 ? with the above notes ?

56965caed8f68_surprised.gif.93a48435f718

Edited by rotuts (log)

Actually I don't put much stock in Wells' reviews. He has been very generous during his tenure (one of the most generous of all time) and only lately started to slam restaurants. His and my opinions are probably the least correlated of the recent Times columnists. I suspect per se has dropped a bit but not to the extent he claims. Wells is probably going more for the press.

certainly we will never really know.  Indeed, NYC on the very high end of the Big Bucks Scale,  always contains a contest of Ego

but :

" dismal green pulp "  "Draining off the gluey, oily liquid"  " limp, dispiriting yam dumplings"

"as murky and appealing as bong water."

etc  etc

the question I have, even if the above is partly true, why didn't they just walk out ?

this should have been the last nail in the coffin :

Wine glasses sat empty through entire courses "

5696640c6ed6d_surprised.gif.8e9ab28c54f2

after all, there would be no financial loss to them, would there ?

I doubt bookings will suffer at PS, but the BigBucksCrowd can now pile on .

Edited by rotuts (log)

5 hours ago, pkeibel said:

Actually I don't put much stock in Wells' reviews. He has been very generous during his tenure (one of the most generous of all time) and only lately started to slam restaurants. His and my opinions are probably the least correlated of the recent Times columnists. I suspect per se has dropped a bit but not to the extent he claims. Wells is probably going more for the press.

He ate there three times over a number of months with, apparently, consistent experiences. However, it sounds like you think he was either exaggerating or being purposely selective in his examples, and that he felt a need to "go for the press.". Can you support those opinions in a way more substantial that simply stating your history of disagreeing with him?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

nope

"""  consistent experiences """

maybe  or not

he did not just have a bad meal

he had one that he and is buds should have left

Im taking at PS  you do not get your money  and  time

returned to you?

BTW I do have the winning lottery ticket

smiley-money-mouth.gif.3dfb7da4c7d14f4cf

So I willCheck it out

but

With any reviewer you either agree or disagree with their tastes. Liking a restaurant is subjective what I find disagreeable you may be fine with and vice versa. He did a similar take down of Daniel by using a third party to see if his treatment was the same. I think that is a good tactic but signaling out only one restaurant to do that seems vindictive.

But for specifics he gave two stars to La Promenade (Chelsea area). We had a very good meal there, it may not have been three stars but better than his review suggested. He gave three stars to Nomad, 5 months later, my meal was good there but not as good as La Promenade and not a three star restaurant (I have been back and yes it is good but not equal to other three stars). He gave one star to Lafayette and our meals there have been equal to NoMad (but less ambience).  He gave two stars to Russ & Daughters and for a brunch spot it was better than that - but one shouldn't compare brunch and dinners spots. A similar comment about Santina. He gave three starsto Cosme, I could see why but I rate the food as good as the best  fine dining establishments in NYC.

My main complaint is that he usually gives two stars in a review (48% of the time) and those ratings are all over the place.

Ah yes, the inevitable tear down after the build up. Took longer than expected. Que the "I knew it was going downhill last 3 times I ate there" and the "Thomas Keller must be slipping" comments from the Can't Do and Never Was brigades. I'm sure I already missed some. The world LOVES this kind of stuff. 

There's nothing snobby eaters like more than a good take down piece--except maybe claiming that they knew it all along. 

• Like 3

This is an interesting article, written the Eater critic Ryan Sutton.  He is known for his financial calculations, as he used to be the restaurant critic for Bloomberg.  It's an interesting take on people's psychology when it comes to restaurants as their prices rise....

• Like 4