• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

A sort of bastardized Thai-Indian curry, with chicken left over from tandoori style roast chicken (NYT recipe) I'd cooked earlier this week. Tossed some frozen pineapple in for good measure.  Over basmati rice.

Wasn't bad. Wasn't great.

curry.thumb.jpg.99d05d98a382322e6df6bf2d

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I may well have posted something similar in the past. It is an old favourite of mine, but I have added a little twist.

56acaebcb2328_Corianderchickenwithcapers

It is diced chicken breast with coriander leaf/cilantro, bird's eye chilli, garlic, and capers. Dead simple.  The twist being the capers. Served with rice and asparagus.

And

IMG_5929.jpg.0e5a08a2ba99d73792467b0de4f

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Earlier – Chicken & cabbage soup. With coriander leaves & halved tau pok added in. Plus Fuzhou wheat vermicelli (福州綫麵) softened into the bowl of soup after cooking.

DSCN8016a_800.jpg.4466777a2ee8b402c1b2e1

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Later – Cantonese-style steamed striped bass (廣式蒸鱸魚).

DSCN8026b_800.jpg.97f4ba0bea40b9237ceed0

The fish was alive a few hours prior.

With ong choy (蕹菜; water spinach; Ipomoea aquatica) stir-fried w/ garlic & fu yee (腐乳; fermented bean curd).

DSCN8030a_600.jpg.408357d9226e5fcaa1f19e

Eaten w/ several bowls of white rice.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

Cyalexa, those stacked enchiladas have me staring.  Can you share your recipe for the sauce?  Are those corn or flour tortillas that you made?  

I used up the rest of the stuffed SV chicken with an alfredo sauce

P1271121.JPG.7876272d83e415201975ea85203

Last night was venison chili cheese dogs

P1291125.JPG.255317fe26400f72b0da263a6cc

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Cyalexa, those stacked enchiladas have me staring.  Can you share your recipe for the sauce?  Are those corn or flour tortillas that you made?  

The tortillas were corn, made with Maseca Instant Masa Corn Flour, water and salt. 

I just posted the sauce recipe in recipegullet, thanks for asking. 

Host's note: so that later readers may find it easily, here is a link to that rccipe: Salsa Para Enchiladas

Edited by Smithy
Added link and host's note (log)
  • Like 1

This evening dinner was Japanese inspired dish made with two varieties of zucchini, cauliflower, pan fried soft tofu and mushrooms, a handful of peppermint. Sauced with fennel seeds, aniseed, pepper, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, lemon zest, toasted sesame seeds.

Served over cooked toasted buckwheat.

The vegetables were salted to draw out moisture and just heated to serve, so they were very crisp and fresh, yet flavorful and not watery.

The flavor combination is very nice, and works surprisingly well, since many of the ingredients have a strong and dominant flavor, yet together they meld into more gentle overall tone over the gently flavored vegetables and tofu. The buckwheat is a wonderful alternative to rice, giving an hearty texture and warm flavor, both compliment the dish well.

20160130_195052.thumb.jpg.e7bffc7715f75720160130_195036.jpg.b36487e0fbd68ed67b63

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

DSC00562.thumb.jpg.b1644d3d191891b083292Pizza night -

The dough was spread with pesto (garlic scape pesto from my freezer), topped with mozzarella, artichoke hearts, ham and sliced tomatoes. And a sprinkle of oregano.

This one had tomato sauce (left over from a lamb,eggplant and tomato casserole a few days ago), sausage, peppers, onions, mozzarella and parmesan. My pizzas are rather free-form.

DSC00565.thumb.jpg.681a8f87f278e4b2ba855

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

On January 28, 2016 at 2:33 PM, ElainaA said:

Last night: Brown rice and black beans (coco noir from last summer's garden) with chili-ginger salsa, avocado, feta and cilantro and roasted butternut squash.

DSC00559.thumb.jpg.670bf7770f158bdee30b0

Amazing how well feta cheese goes with beans.  I had kidney beans with kale topped with feta tonight from D. Madison's Veggie Literacy.

• Like 2

On January 29, 2016 at 0:38 PM, Paul Bacino said:

Asian Italian Ravioli

Braised beef Ravioli

Sauce -- Chxn stock/  Hoisin / Chili sauce reduction

Topped with Basil/Parsley and Romano cheese 

56abcdd27c8d1_AsainItalianRavioli.thumb.

Interesting sauce ingredients Paul.  I have some lamb dumplings in the freezer that might go well with your sauce.

• Like 4

Forty eight plus hour chuck steak, roast Jerusalem artichokes and fingerlings, hollandaise.  Parsley.  My son says normal people do not serve parsley as a vegetable.

To cut the unctuousness dripping down my chin, a chaser of straight lemon juice.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well the notorious eight dollars a head cauliflower has come down in price to a more reasonable rate. I was gifted with a beautiful little 2 pound cauliflower yesterday. I cut it in half and made a cauliflower casserole.  Steamed cauliflower, cheddar bechamel, bread crumbs, parmesan and parsley for some crunch. 

image.thumb.jpeg.547e397ac893056f425e21aimage.thumb.jpeg.e879791316944c677dfa179

• Like 20

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Went to visit a friend who had had surgery this past week and took her some homemade vegetable soup.

Single for the weekend so I can eat whatever I want.....what did I want?

Stuffed baked potatoes,

Cheddar, extra baked potato innards and some olive oil.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Some meals.

-------------------------------------------

Couple of charcuterie plates.

DSCN8039b_800.jpg.a1f5f7891777ac8d183cb0

Coarse Braunschweiger, pressed tongue [both from Claus']; Francese loaf slices [Amelia's]; sliced Persian cucumbers.

(I had a hankering for Braunschweiger...so took a drive down to Claus' and picked up some other stuff along the way back at Amelia's and Goose the Market. :) )

DSCN8047b_800.jpg.bfcc9e71db5df422db328c

Prosciutto Rossa [La Quercia stuff, via Goose the Market], more Francese bread & Persian cucumbers.

Lotus root soup.

DSCN8042a_800.jpg.937bafc87b6f60c697fc98

Water, short-cut pork spare ribs, bit of rice bran oil, the stuff shown in the picture below, sliced scrubbed fresh lotus root, a couple of honey jujubes (like these), sea salt, simmer till done.

Note to the curious: there is no soy sauce of any type added to it, either while cooking it or afterwards.

Some of the stuff that went into the lotus root soup:

DSCN8037a_800.jpg.a578b4277267d46151e917

Center: sliced dried angular Solomon's Seal rhizome (玉竹; Polygonatum odoratum).

Clockwise from 7 o'clock: "Southern Jujubes" (南棗), a large, dark-colored form of dried Chinese jujubes; dried small whole cuttlefish (小墨魚幹); (raw shelled) unskinned peanuts (帶皮花生); dried wolfberry fruits (枸杞子; goji berries).

• Like 8

Anna, I would love a bowl of your soup.  Comfort food.

Simple work night dinner.  

Chicken%20with%20green%20onions%20Januar

Skin-on Boneless chicken breasts.  Browned and then finished in the oven with whole green onions.  Pan deglazed with chicken broth and the juice of a small lemon.

Served with fried potatoes.

• Like 13

Last night we did pizza and movies.  We keep all of our names in a mason jar and draw one out every Saturday night and that person gets to pick the movie.  We ate early last night and so drew two names.  My sister (Sense and Sensibility) and my nephew (Jurassic Park: The Lost World...groan).  As you can see people have varying tastes in movies!  And in pizza also, I made four kinds of pizza to suit varying tastes of the group.  Plain old margharita style:

56ae24b0825a7_margaritapizza.thumb.jpg.e

White clam (husband's favorite)

56ae24adbde7a_clampizza.thumb.jpg.80315c

Pepperoni (nephew's favorite)

56ae24ab3647e_pepperonipizza.thumb.jpg.b

Carbonara (niece's favorite)

56ae24a7a8ecd_carbonarapizza.thumb.jpg.7

• Like 16

Ronnie went pheasant hunting yesterday so I was anxiously awaiting at least one that I could SV last night.  They didn't shoot one birdO.o. So not normal.  For 20 years I've been overrun with game to cook and now that I want to SV it all.....there is none to be had lol.  Ain't it ironic?

So, I dug through the freezer and found some pheasant breasts from the fall.  I had vac packed them well, but I didn't saran wrap them and yep, they already had a touch of freezer burn.  By the time I was done trimming them, they were prime candidates for frying.  So, pheasant strips, mashed taters and some Silver Queen corn from last summer that I had frozen.

P1301124.JPG.3f1104b768dc9855dc53f62175b

PS--Great looking pizzas LiamsAunt and Anna, your cauliflower looks awesome.

• Like 13

We bought quite a bit of chicken and have been working through some of it. A couple of recent meals. 

Chicken Teriyaki with red peppers. Some rice (not shown).

IMGP5704.thumb.JPG.519aa3103350f72dbb609

Ottolenghi's Harissa-Marinated Chicken with Grapefruit and Arugula (grapefruit sauce not yet added). Really enjoyed this meal. (Grapefruit from our tree.)

IMGP5710.thumb.JPG.30fcbba06298db86f0cb8

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 10

image.thumb.jpeg.c13f33385eba2517c2a7f3b

Steamed cauliflower with cheese sauce.   Had you told me a few months ago that I would be content with this for my dinner I would have laughed in your face.   I was certain I needed a hunk of protein on my plate.   Many factors have persuaded me otherwise. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I made  a Mexican mole with chicken.  A chicken was deboned and cubed and the bones and scraps were tossed in a pressure cooker to make stock. Both were used in the mole.  A couple of yellow onions and a couple of poblano peppers were sliced and made its way in to the mole until they basically dissolved. Served with rice and fresh corn tortillas with avocado, cilantro and lime.  

Such a great Oaxacan dish.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 9