• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

S97   re  salmon

you salmon looks perfect to me

for a while a in CA I had access to exceptionally fresh salmon, very reasonably priced and my father and I had similarly looking salmon almost

every other night.  I like the very rose part of the thicker end and suggests it might be cooked as I like it :

crunchy top, crunchy skin removed in once piece  and a very soft rose center that might still have a little wiggle in it.

this was pre-SV  :   I started in a very hot pan  ( copper of course from FR ) flipped the pieces and finished them in the oven.

once in the oven I could study my Personal Beverage.  this was the pre-M.R. days

I could live on salmon extra fresh cooked that way  with a large plate of salmon sashimi for lunch.

• Like 5

I should know better than to read this discussion at lunchtime!

Instead of a "Like This" button, we need a "Holy crap! Your dinner looks amazing and I am now drooling on my keyboard" button.:B xD

• Like 7

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So, it turned out I HAD more cheese... Found another jar of collected cheese bits in the freezer, these were mainly from different kinds of cheddar, plus I "rescued" a sad piece of Parmesan from Mum. Reading about bechamel and Mornay sauce lead to tiny penne gratin with super-cheesy sauce (part Mornay, part pasta water, part more cheese, part cream) and warm vegetables (broccolini, corn, edamame, peas, baby broad beans). I was pleasantly surprised by the baked pasta - I had always had the impression I was not really fond of these type of dishes (maybe with the exception of some lasagne), plus the penne were really not of that great quality, but with all that cheese... Yumm...

24193099633_abd1805794.jpg

• Like 13

Vlcatko

8 minutes ago, Vlcatko said:

So, it turned out I HAD more cheese... Found another jar of collected cheese bits in the freezer, these were mainly from different kinds of cheddar, plus I "rescued" a sad piece of Parmesan from Mum. Reading about bechamel and Mornay sauce lead to tiny penne gratin with super-cheesy sauce (part Mornay, part pasta water, part more cheese, part cream) and warm vegetables (broccolini, corn, edamame, peas, baby broad beans). I was pleasantly surprised by the baked pasta - I had always had the impression I was not really fond of these type of dishes (maybe with the exception of some lasagne), plus the penne were really not of that great quality, but with all that cheese... Yumm...

24193099633_abd1805794.jpg

I made something very much like this a few nights ago (no picture) based on a recipe in the NY Times. For cheese I used fontina and Parmesan and added a mixture of shiitake and oyster mushrooms tossed in olive oil and roasted. Otherwise, just about what you did. I found it a bit single note - Did you season your sauce much? I think I'd add some sauteed onion or perhaps chopped tomato if I do it again.

Your vegetables look lovely.

Edited by ElainaA (log)
  • Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Last night: potato and ham gratin (from Julia Child's The Way to Cook) The recipe makes 18 - 24 servings (!) so I drastically reduced it to serve two dinners and two next day lunches. With salad and bread I made yesterday.

DSC00584.thumb.jpg.54c72444384f3a0789610DSC00586.thumb.jpg.2d721f31e7b767b68ac8b

• Like 14

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@sartoric could you share the satay recipe?  I infrequently make pork satay, and have since the 1970's -- based on the satay recipe in the NY Times Cookbook.  Most recently from another satay recipe that I can't remember the Thai cookbook I took it from, though if I get serious, google should save me.  Anyhow it was good.

The only time I've had chicken satay was from a New York City street vendor following the 1995 gay pride march.  I feared for my little cat.

Here you go...

The chicken tenderloins get halved lengthways and marinated in a mix of coconut milk, grated ginger, lemongrass, minced garlic, Malaysian curry powder and palm sugar. Later they are threaded onto bamboo skewers and barbecued hotly and briefly.

The peanut sauce is a combo of crunchy peanut butter, my chilli paste, lime juice, dark soy sauce, water and palm sugar. Stir until sauce like.

For the salad I combine torn baby cos, diced cucumber, marinated mushrooms (from yesterday), diced spring onion and mint leaves. There was dressing with yesterday's mushrooms, so I added to that with a splash of soy and some peanut oil. I topped the salad with fried shallots and fried garlic bits.

Eat.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, sartoric said:

Here you go...

The chicken tenderloins get halved lengthways and marinated in a mix of coconut milk, grated ginger, lemongrass, minced garlic, Malaysian curry powder and palm sugar. Later they are threaded onto bamboo skewers and barbecued hotly and briefly.

The peanut sauce is a combo of crunchy peanut butter, my chilli paste, lime juice, dark soy sauce, water and palm sugar. Stir until sauce like.

For the salad I combine torn baby cos, diced cucumber, marinated mushrooms (from yesterday), diced spring onion and mint leaves. There was dressing with yesterday's mushrooms, so I added to that with a splash of soy and some peanut oil. I topped the salad with fried shallots and fried garlic bits.

Eat.

Thanks!  Wish I had seen this a few hours earlier...just got back from the store.  At least I brought home peanuts.

But now I'm wondering, what in the US would we call a chicken tenderloin?  I'd be inclined to use breast meat.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

fair enough

there are two muscles in each ' breast '

the smaller one  ' tenderloin '  has a tubular tendon running through is.  very easy to spot.

both the larger  and the smaller have tendons, they run through both

the larger muscle's tendons is thiner as its cut off differently

both should be removed, by scraping them off right until the end.

not cutting as when they get thiner, still tendon-ish and tough

they are very easy to cut

• Like 2

Many thanks, hope to try this satay soon.  I doubt it would work so well with the sous vide chicken breast I have in the refrigerator?  ...which I had been saving for chicken tetrazzini.

Here tonight is couscous with lamb and dates.  In addition to the wine and peanuts.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

JoNorvelleWalker, sorry, I could have added, the recipe is based from one on a site called Damn Delicious. 

Others above are correct, the tenderloin is the smaller breast muscle. I cut them in half lengthwise for satay, as it's easier to thread one piece onto the skewer than several bits of meat.

The curry powder is Malaysian. 

Edit to add, I often don't know what the terms used on here mean. Cultural differences I suppose, but Google usually tells me....grits was foreign to me !

Edited by sartoric (log)
  • Like 2

Sous vide chicken thighs cooked yesterday and chilled.   Tossed in a hot CI skillet tonight and roasted until brown.  The Good stuff that stuck to the skillet was scraped up and added to the mashed potatoes but so damn good to waste 

image.jpeg

• Like 20

14 hours ago, ElainaA said:

I made something very much like this a few nights ago (no picture) based on a recipe in the NY Times. For cheese I used fontina and Parmesan and added a mixture of shiitake and oyster mushrooms tossed in olive oil and roasted. Otherwise, just about what you did. I found it a bit single note - Did you season your sauce much? I think I'd add some sauteed onion or perhaps chopped tomato if I do it again.

Your vegetables look lovely.

Thanks! And they were tasty too :)

The Mornay was cooked with a clove, allspice and bay leaf, seasoned with salt (no pepper this time) and nutmeg. Cheese used was mainly Gruyere and Parmesan with a few bits of Cornish Cruncher. By itself it was fine, when eaten with something else, I found it not cheesy enough. When preparing the sauce for the gratin, I took some of the water from cooking the penne, slowly whisked in finely shredded cheese (almost full Bonne Maman jar of mainly cheddar of several kinds), combined it with the Mornay and found myself with extra cheesy goodness. No additional salt or seasonings were necessary for me, I just added two spoons of extra thick double cream (finished the tub I had in the fridge) because I was worried the sauce was a little too thin and would separate. It was probably fine without the cream but at least I used it up and the sauce was delicious ;)

I have to admit I am very partial to cheese (Gruyere and cheddars in particular) and creamy sauces so the sauce was perfect for me but I can see how someone could find it too bland in bigger dose... In that case, your suggested tweaks sound good - in fact I was debating with myself whether to bake the vegetables with the pasta or cook it separately. But I didn't want to risk it, in case the gratin turned out not well...

Edited by Vlcatko (log)
  • Like 2

Vlcatko

We made it to the seafood market tonight even though it was still raining, but at least not pouring like last night, and more importantly, it's not freezing on electric wires or trees.

We both got fried fish and chips. Red snapper for me and tilapia for the husband. There were hushpuppies involved, and lemon wedges. We picked up some fried catfish for a neighbor. I am not a fan of fried snapper, but I will try it again roasted whole at home before giving up on this expensive fish.

Best of all, I found a frozen duckling in their freezer case which will be enjoyed in a future dinner in a few days when it has thawed out in the refrigerator. I can't wait. I love duck, but it's hard to find here outside of the holidays. So major score!

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Risotto with apple, butternut squash and blue cheese (Roquefort style, way too mild... It's hard to get good aged cheeses over here). Also had onion, leek, white wine, oregano, lots of black pepper. Finished with some small diced raw apple and pumpkin seeds.

20160205_151558.jpg.6c1e16a43540fdb4ca2b20160205_151358.jpg.a2e97414875ac64d2872

We ate it with an overly aged Chardonnay (1999!) that Iv'e found stored in a box while cleaning around. It was quite nice, but nothing like any Chardonnay I've tasted before. A few shaded darker, like brandy with a greenish tint. Tasted woody with some Cabernet flavors and a sharp (but not unpleasant) alcoholic flavor. It was totally worth forgetting about it back then, if only for the laughs :D

20160205_121751.thumb.jpg.8bec4fd1b34479

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

1 minute ago, shain said:

Roquefort style, way too mild

im sure you know this ......   anyaway

leave the cheese on the counter ( unwrapped ... but loosely covered ) or in a cabinet ( if you have 4 legged friends )

2 - 3 days +++   you would be surprised how cheese changes

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

im sure you know this ......   anyaway

leave the cheese on the counter ( unwrapped ... but loosely covered ) or in a cabinet ( if you have 4 legged friends )

2 - 3 days +++   you would be surprised how cheese changes

I'm always too worried to try this, but maybe I will try this time. Loosely covered as in too allow airflow or just not in contact with the cheese?

~ Shai N.

you want air flow.  that's it.

you don't want the cheesy environment to become anaerobic.

remember, cheese is a cultured item, its fermenting if its not fresh cheese.  like wine, and sourdough bread.

you are just letting it do its work longer.

I do this all the time.  try some brie/camenbert  get the ones that are a bit oozy from the get go.

bon appétit 

serious Cheeze Heads  never refrigerate cheese.

and when there are bits of this and bits of that left   

process them in a cuisinart   you can add garlic, etc  ( not too much garlic, you want to taste cheese  )

this becomes Fromage Forte

as in all things Food  Ill let my buddy Jacque be your guide :

https://www.google.com/search?q=fromage+forte&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

F.F. is a gift from the Gods.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Leftover chicken from a roast on Sunday became an olde tyme chicken casserole with the thickened gravy, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, whole wheat egg noodles, carrots and peas then topped with crushed potato chips.

Baked ziti with red sauce and sauteed chicken Italian sausages.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Elaina, that potato/ham gratin looks heavenly.  Pure comfort.

Chris, I WANT SNOW LIKE THAT.  Send it over here!

I ordered from Cajun Grocer the other day (had to stock up for Fat Tuesday) and decided I needed some frog legs, too.  We used to hunt them in July around here, but there just aren't very many any more.  These are farm raised from somewhere in China.  Really tender and good.  Was going to SV them, but decided on frying instead.

Fried mushrooms, shrimp, frog legs.  Cheesy broccoli and rice.  Oysters and some shrimp for cocktail too.

P2041136.JPG.bd260c47cd71fdd7107179c9f01

P2041135.JPG.880bdce8a70e7210155a27e8b64

• Like 7