• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 1)

Anna N

I have probably made more than a dozen loaves of sourdough French bread so far this winter and I noticed the last one is going slowly so after I saw liamsaunt and ElanaA's pizzas, I decided to make the next batch of sourdough with Focaiccia herbs and cheeses added. I divided it into two sections and baked one straight focaccia and then stretched the other one out on a pizza pan and topped it with pizza stuff.

DSCN3249_zpsdyasyerp.jpg

DSCN3252_zps7banba1y.jpg

• Like 23

Mojo-marinated pork shoulder (lechon asado), thinly-sliced, sauced with more mojo (nicely emulsified which gave it a hollandaise-like appearance), garnished with pickled red onion, served on tortillas. Lots of garlic in each component. I should probably avoid contact with vampires over the next few days. 

image.jpg

Edited by Patrick S
Edited because I kant spel gud. (log)
  • Like 15

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Freshly baked rye sourdough with hazelnuts, still slightly warm because we just couldn't wait, butter

24450790000_5d2f03fb9d.jpg

Summer rolls with SV duck breast (hoisin+okonomiyaki sauce, garlic, ginger, 2.5 hours at 55°C, skin crisped in a pan afterward), carrot, cucumber, romaine lettuce, cilantro

24628433412_10221f8a5d.jpg

• Like 18

Vlcatko

A few days ago I received this gift from a dear friend. It is a type of dry cure, lean pork leg only made in one small town (沅陵 YuánLíng) in the west of Hunan, China. A fairly remote place. The meat is known as 晒兰 shài lán and is rarely sold outside the town.

shailan.jpg

Avocado for scale

Normally, it is cooked with Hunan's beloved chilli peppers, soy sauce and rice wine and served as one dish alongside others in a family meal..

Tonight, however, I did something different. Probably sacrilegious to the good people of Hunan. Thinking of Xi'an hamburgers, I substituted the pork for the more usual lamb or beef in Xi'an. With the requisite green and red chillies, etc.

56af4e0a8099d_hunanhamburger.thumb.jpg.2

56af4e0243434_hunanhamburger2.jpg.73a9d0

I ate three.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

cyalexa

those are the best enchi's Ive ever seen.  Who knew they could be made stacked, certainly not me !

My problem was that I would not have been able to stop eating them until I exploded.  This I know.

Ill be putting those on my list of things to do, very near the top.

Ill probably be calling them MyOwn, sorry

xD

unless of course its on eG.

smiley-money-mouth.gif.103be59325ce1a757

• Like 2

Risotto and 2 kinds of fungus.

KIGSy4s.jpg

Camera only see black slices

bejNuao.jpg

And yesterday: steamed roe mixed with beaten eggs, minced ginger root, garlic and preserved turnip bits. Steamed long stem broccoli and rice alongside. And more ginger on top.

3XqWtiq.jpg

• Like 12

Anna N – your cauliflower cheese looks gorgeous!  I wouldn’t need another thing on the table with that!

Vlkatco – those summer rolls look and sound so incredibly good.  And I like everything in them (that doesn’t happen too often as I am vegetable and spicy adverse!).

A couple of nights ago:

DSCN1249.JPG.7ef0a26329160f6d3d59995e49c

Sloppy Joes, tots, green beans and the last of the blah corn. 

• Like 11

Did some Ramen!!

Broth was various Pork parts/ garlic /Onions/Leeks/ Shitake Mushrooms  done about 10 hrs cooled and de fatted a bit

In the Bowl- Sun Noodles/   sous vide Pork belly/ Pork Loin / marinated egg/ shitake mushrooms/ corn/ green onions

24387060329_8dfd30e7f4_k.thumb.jpg.0733f

• Like 10

Its good to have Morels

@Paul Bacino

Your grandson is doing just fine and I think he's adorable.

image.thumb.jpeg.895711ea4c7deccb3dde3bc

My interpretation of a Strammer Max (Saveur magazine).  Country bread replaced with pain de mie.   Iberico ham  and  fried egg. 

• Like 19

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We're having a bit of a heatwave, > 35 C for five days now with high humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

So, I thought salad, Caesar salad with chicken.

Then realised I'd need the oven for croutons, would need to fry bacon, and boil eggs, DOH ! 

Did it anyway. With garlic bread on the side, well, the oven was on.....image.thumb.jpeg.b1e492ea220a248a809939f

image.thumb.jpeg.d181cdd40da637df2db4073

• Like 15

Pork tenderloin with pears sauteed in white wine, roasted potatoes and garlic and red cabbage with apples (Yes, I was inspired by the thread here however I used a recipe from Epicurious that I have had for years.)

DSC00571.thumb.jpg.7a2dbc13a7f871de0da38

• Like 15

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Char Grilled Oysters and a salad. We are lucky in that there are several oyster farms in the area and for some reason, this time of the year you can get primo, super fresh local oysters for 75 cents each. Shelby, just because I know you are wondering, yes I do like raw oysters on the half shell, but Deb, not so much. So I end up buying a few extras, making a hot cocktail sauce and having a few off camera on the down low. We all have our demons.

56b012b29a27a_CharGrilledOysters.thumb.j 

Oysters!!!.thumb.jpg.02ebe0c08bb16543eec

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 14

17 minutes ago, Captain said:

Hot & steamy here @sartoric Decided to do a Laksa for dinner last night.

WP_20160201_20_54_03_Pro.jpg

Welcome Captain - do you use a commercial Laksa paste?

1 hour ago, Captain said:

Hot & steamy here @sartoric Decided to do a Laksa for dinner last night.

WP_20160201_20_54_03_Pro.jpg

I like laksa too Captain, yours is looking good. Big welcome to another Gold Coast member !

I've been in the pool today, first time this summer, phew it's hot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sartoric said:

We're having a bit of a heatwave, > 35 C for five days now with high humidity and afternoon thunderstorms.

So, I thought salad, Caesar salad with chicken.

Then realised I'd need the oven for croutons, would need to fry bacon, and boil eggs, DOH ! 

Did it anyway. With garlic bread on the side, well, the oven was on.....

@sartoricThat's a lovely hot weather meal.

Marcella Hazan has a recipe for stove top croutons for soup or salad. She uses olive oil, and a lot more of it than I would, but it can be done with less fat of your choice. It's hot and very humid in my local climate in summer, which of course, is the opposite of yours, so now I'm enjoying using my oven, which helps heat my house. Even when it's cold, I actually prefer garlic bread made with raw pressed garlic and minced parsley mixed into some good butter, spread on bread and grilled one side at a time on a stove top griddle. It's crunchier. In summer instead of cornbread baked in the oven I make corn pancakes on the griddle, grilling outdoors, and many other strategies to work around our sauna-like summer climate.

There are so many wonderful dinners on here lately, as always. King crab with spaghetti? Oh yeah! The first time I saw seafood with pasta, I thought, "This chef is an absolute genius!" 

I haven't had much to say lately about dinner because I fear I may be gripped by a Latin American food kick that borders on mental illness. My husband made a (perhaps unPC) comment after the third time I served tacos/burritos with different accompaniments every time (not in a row). :laugh: I think my psychosis was triggered by two really bad Mexican meals a few weeks apart. I'm sure I'll get over it, but you know what? I could eat another good taco right now, and I'm going to make enchiladas with beef and cheese soon with homemade corn tortillas. @cyalexaYour stacked version was beautiful, and the inspiration for my determination to make some enchiladas. Anyone else ever get obsessed to satisfy a craving after having it frustrated?

The husband will have to get over it, because I did make his beloved polska kielbasa with cabbage, carrots and egg noodles, and some American chicken and pork dinners in between. :smile: He loves Mexican food too, and the comment did come after I made a not too great black bean/toasted fideo soup starter that was admittedly not up to my usual standards.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <